Chicago Guitarist Available

Started by Yojimbo, May 16, 2012, 07:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yojimbo

I've been playing guitar on and off for about 22yrs.
I primarily tune down to A Standard but I will only tune up as far as B Standard.
I like Sludge,Doom,Crust Metal and Outlaw Country.

Here's a link to a couple of old songs - http://markmo.bandcamp.com/
Another link is available on request for more older songs.

I would prefer to work in Chicago or near to it but, if your a regular touring band I
would try to work something out.

Thank you much for reading,

Yojimbo

Hemisaurus

If you were 200 miles south, we have an opening  :'(

The Shocker

bitter

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

RacerX

QuoteIs the MJS Experience hiring?

Their cowbells aren't tuned low enough.
Livin' The Life.

VOLVO)))

22yrs of drop A experience. I like this guy.  ;D ;D
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

tombhex

i'm in chicago and i want to play outrageously loud, low-tuned, and slow doom/sludge or some thrash/black.
i play bass.

i've played in plenty of bands, have heaps of gear, and can't ever find anyone like-minded enough to get anywhere with a project.

let's commiserate.

Hemisaurus

Wouldn't it make more sense to form a band?

tombhex

well that's kindof what i was insinuating, but i don't have any drummers, which are the rarest of all commodities.

if you DO want to start a band, let's start a fucking band!

Hemisaurus

Oh I do, I've a complete rhythm section, and we can't find a guitarist, been trying maybe 3 years now on and off.

Rhythm section with lots of riffs and grooves stored up, both of us with plenty of flexible time to dedicate to touring, looking for third person to do something on top of this solidity, guitar / electronics / sitar / another bass, anything, vocal ability a plus, preferably personable (that way we have someone to talk to people). Really I just don't dig being a lead. Must be nearish to Springfield IL.

Have practice space, recording gear, spare amps. Can fix your broken down shit too.

VOLVO)))

Chi-town seems like it'd have a buncha heavy fools like us. You're sayin' nobody wants to bring the doom?
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Where's LogicalFrank these days?

tombhex

Hemi, if Springfield wasn't a really really long drive from the city, i'd play rhythm bass for you! haha

you would be shocked how hard it is to find people who want to play doom around here - i think the biggest problem is location. it's expensive to rent a rehearsal space in the city and barely anyone has a place of their own to jam on the regular. everyone lives on top of their neighbors here. any drummer i've met who was interested (usually faux-crust punk kids who want to play d-beat) has "been in lots of bands, but doesn't have any drums here in the city."

i used to play in a punk band that practiced across the hall from the mighty bongripper, and split between four bands our space was a few hundred dollars a month per band. that doesn't seem like much unless you're like me and you can't get your useless asshole bandmates to get jobs that allow them to chip in for rent (let alone get some decent sounding gear).

i'm trying to jam with some old friends just outside the city but the same problem we encountered a few years ago when we jammed seems to keep resurfacing - every time we write a slow, sludgy song, i come back to rehearsal the next week and the song just sounds like a halfassed nirvana cover. /sigh

Hemisaurus

Quote from: tombhex on May 17, 2012, 03:23:41 PM
Hemi, if Springfield wasn't a really really long drive from the city, i'd play rhythm bass for you! haha

you would be shocked how hard it is to find people who want to play doom around here - i think the biggest problem is location. it's expensive to rent a rehearsal space in the city and barely anyone has a place of their own to jam on the regular. everyone lives on top of their neighbors here. any drummer i've met who was interested (usually faux-crust punk kids who want to play d-beat) has "been in lots of bands, but doesn't have any drums here in the city."
Sure you don't mean lead bass? Springfield is an odd vibe, people my age are meant to play in cover bands, younger kids play in punk bands, nobody travels further than STL or IA for a show in the punk bands, or to the other side of town for the covers :(

A friend of mine moved to Chicago, and takes the train down once a month to play with his old band, but he has family here too.

I can relate to the travel in Chicago though, it takes and hour or more, just to get out of the city, or into the city from the 'burbs or whatever, I lived in both the city and the 'burbs, and it just sucks the energy out of you trying to get anyplace in a car. Out here we don't rent practice spaces we build 'em, I know a couple of other places, outside my own place where bands can practice, no monthly rent, just friends places, from that aspect it's nice. So, me and the drummer both have flexible jobs, want to tour, we got plenty of practice spaces, we just can't keep a f---in' third player.

Oh yeah, Amtrak is only $18 each way ;)

giantchris

I was looking for a band in Chicago for awhile actually.  Where were all you guys when I was looking! 

But yeah most of the practice spaces are way overpriced the place my band is in is much more affordable we are getting a 13.5x13.5 room for 330 a month with 24 hour access keypad entry behind like 3 locked doors and every inch of the place is video covered in Logan Square which is not a bad area compared to where most of the rehearsal places are...I think part of the problem is most of the reasonably priced rehearsal spaces are in god awful areas.  You'll get someone eventually I found my band on craigslist I will fully admit I got really lucky the guitar player I found is really talented and the drummer has a really unique sound.

Good luck!

tombhex

Quote from: giantchris on May 17, 2012, 09:35:10 PM
I was looking for a band in Chicago for awhile actually.  Where were all you guys when I was looking! 

But yeah most of the practice spaces are way overpriced the place my band is in is much more affordable we are getting a 13.5x13.5 room for 330 a month with 24 hour access keypad entry behind like 3 locked doors and every inch of the place is video covered in Logan Square which is not a bad area compared to where most of the rehearsal places are...I think part of the problem is most of the reasonably priced rehearsal spaces are in god awful areas.  You'll get someone eventually I found my band on craigslist I will fully admit I got really lucky the guitar player I found is really talented and the drummer has a really unique sound.

Good luck!

what band are you in, dude?

giantchris

Quote from: tombhex on May 18, 2012, 08:40:15 AM
Quote from: giantchris on May 17, 2012, 09:35:10 PM

Good luck!

what band are you in, dude?
No name yet we started in Jan and got the drummer in March but everythings moving really well and we should realistically be playing out end of July/early August.  Planning on starting at The Mutiny like everyone else.  Got about 7 songs 40 some odd minutes going pretty well so far if you wanna hear it pm me your email.

If you do find people to play with in the city I wanna recommend the rehearsal place we are at http://www.kildarestudios.com/ really fair rent and a much better neighborhood then that Red Light studios or Old Chocolate Factory.

Hemisaurus

At Mutiny, not at Metalshakers? ???

giantchris

I've never actually been to metal shakers actually didn't they change the name or something?  I missed out on the Thirsty Whale too when it was still open.  Never been to Cobra Lounge either but I've pretty much been to every other venue.  I really like Panchos actually but it has more punk.

Yojimbo

*Bump*

One year later.

Jammed with a bunch of people but the chemistry just wasn't there,
I'm still searching for a band to get in.

Before 2013 just about goes out, I might gonna hang it up,
I'm just not finding that path.

clockwork green

Maybe just do a solo recording project. The drum software is pretty awesome and you could always use it as a foundation and get a session guy to re-record it if you're anti-digital drums.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Dave J

My good friend and I have been looking for a drummer and bass player for nearly 4 years.  We are in the Western suburbs, which makes it harder to find people into our kind of music than it would be if we were in Chicago itself.  I still go through Craigslist ads every once and awhile, but most people are looking for cover bands or something more serious than just weekend jamming like me. 

All I can say is keep trying and keep having fun.
"I wish I could talk in technicolor." -- volunteer housewife during acid experiment circa 1956

"Look at me! Look at me! Look at me now!
It is fun to have fun, but you have to know how."
--Cat In The Hat

Yojimbo

Quote from: clockwork green on May 19, 2013, 10:26:03 PM
Maybe just do a solo recording project. The drum software is pretty awesome and you could always use it as a foundation and get a session guy to re-record it if you're anti-digital drums.

I thought about using drum software sometimes, but it just doesn't breathe and it kind of
makes me cringe when I hear other people use it. It just seems depressing to go it alone and not root it in a regular way bandwise.

Yojimbo

Quote from: Dave J on May 21, 2013, 12:19:05 AM
My good friend and I have been looking for a drummer and bass player for nearly 4 years.  We are in the Western suburbs, which makes it harder to find people into our kind of music than it would be if we were in Chicago itself.  I still go through Craigslist ads every once and awhile, but most people are looking for cover bands or something more serious than just weekend jamming like me. 

All I can say is keep trying and keep having fun.

It's difficult to keep it going, you can only fight for so long against getting nowhere. Behest of perceived local "scene" clicks,playing in a dead end band presently, another band that your proud of that you just joined but your like 10yrs too late to see it continue so they seemed to gave up on it or feeling like a chump after being asked to do a fill in for guitar for a band that you had previously done before and they leave you hanging.

Then you start to doubt your abilities if you were any good in the 1st place as a musician.
There are times you go to shows to see bands play, then you look around yourself and wonder "WHY!" and what am I doing here. The answer you had 20yrs ago for it just doesn't make sense anymore and you don't have a new one to take its place.

Sorry for that rant,cheers y'all!