Main Menu

My new axe.

Started by neighbor664, January 22, 2011, 01:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neighbor664

black_out

you're gonna put some BBQ Buckers in that beast, right?
By my side I keep my things that I ne-uh-ed! Rest in peace is gonna set me free!

neighbor664

If it could handle steel strings that would be interesting to try.

Hemisaurus

Stick a piezo under the bridge. 99c from the shack, or free if you prise it out a musical greeting card :D

neighbor664

Quote from: Hemisaurus on January 22, 2011, 02:01:58 PM
Stick a piezo under the bridge. 99c from the shack, or free if you prise it out a musical greeting card :D

Intriguing idea. I think I might try that.

Danny G

Gonna put extra-heavy strings on it and tune down to Bb?

DOOOM UKELELE!!!
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

Hemisaurus

Could you fit Kala U-Bass strings on it? Maybe modify the tuners a bit. Then you could go really low.

http://www.kalaukulele.com/search_results_strings.asp?txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtsearchParamCat=27&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtDateAddedStart=&txtPriceEnd=&txtPriceStart=&txtSale=&txtsearchParamTxt=*&txtFromSearch=&subcat=29-bottom&iLevel=3&txtCatName=3

Now that I look, the Kala is only a half inch bigger han a baritone uke. Wonder if yiu could by a cheap baritone uke and convert it? Any uke experrts care to weigh in?

Lumpy

Supposedly they are flying off the shelves... small, inexpensive, relatively easy to play...
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

clockwork green

Tons of students at the school I work at play Ukelele's...many of them are Tongan or Samoan but not all. I have no idea why they're so popular. I don't see a lot of Don Ho on my students iPods.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Mike_Sims

Quote from: clockwork green on January 23, 2011, 03:50:54 AM
Tons of students at the school I work at play Ukelele's...many of them are Tongan or Samoan but not all. I have no idea why they're so popular. I don't see a lot of Don Ho on my students iPods.
Yeahhh I have a lot of Tongan & Samoan friends, you're absolutely right, they all play!! And they're pretty good too

mawso

I was staying at a friend's place earlier in the week.  I picked up his ukulele and after figuring out it was tuned like a guitar, I hacked my way through some blues licks.  Then he plugged his strat into his practice amp and started playing the changes to a 12 bar.  We jammed for maybe half an hour - just trading solos and rhythm - seriously those things are just way too much fun.

hayseed

My wife has 2 Ukes - Fender Tenor(?) and a Mahalo pink flying V. (I had one but my daughter broke the body when she was little.) Her and my daughter pluck around on them quite a bit. It is definitely an instrument that is gaining in popularity.
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

Jor el

Buy 'em now before the prices skyrocket.
What Would Scooby Do ?

neighbor664

I switched out the 4th string for a thicker gauge. It was set up with the 4th being a high G now it's a low G.
I've got to experiment with some different gauges and string combos still.