ok, all you "wood" snobs...

Started by tomz., January 25, 2011, 05:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomz.

;)

I know these are a couple of years old, but pretty cool none the less...
MCA's from the beastie boys...
motorcycles, rock n roll, and beer, not necessarily in that order.

Discö Rice

Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

VOLVO)))

You know, acrylic is a very, VERY good acoustic material. It's super dense, totally voidless and literally fucking bulletproof. There are few better materials for acoustics, than acrylic. Granite is one of them. The weight on those cabs is probably backbreaking, it's so unfair to whoever has to move them. They'd make great show pieces, if you didn't have to touch it yourself. I love the looks.. kind of like a high end custom computer case.

The only reason most acrylic guitars are flops, and shitty is because it's A. Heavy, and B. nobody wants to put quality parts and hardware into a production acrylic guitar. BC Rich made a bunch of acrylic guitars, they had some tuning stability issues, and had some serious bullshit hardware.

Ask Gentry of Eagle Twin. He plays an aluminum necked lucite guitar, and a lucite Dan Armstrong... he may be onto something, y'think?
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

tomz.

That's interesting, I'd never have guessed that it would be good for tone, it's awesome actually.  I work with acrylic on a regular basis (I make neon signs and the neon is often mounted on acrylic) and just the thought of the fingerprints and smudge marks is maddening.  I'm sure the b boys have quite the crew with windex at the ready tho...

Mike_Sims

I've always wanted something like that, with like an internal light or something. Maybe pedals with acrylic enclosures and internal LEDs too

Hemisaurus

Haven't D.A.D. been doing this for years? They have an entire backline.

VOLVO)))

Every time I see that bass,  I want to die.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

NoSleepTilSleep

Something about cramming 6 x 6550's into an essentially coffin-like acrylic box just screams melt-down.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: NoSleepTilSleep on January 25, 2011, 10:57:29 PM
Something about cramming 6 x 6550's into an essentially coffin-like acrylic box just screams melt-down.

I'm sure it's well ventilated.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Discö Rice

Phattie Drums does this crazy LED stuff. Unfortunately, they don't use welded acrylic shells, so I won't ever be buying them. I believe they sell the LED kit separately, but I can't imagine spending money on that.

VOLVO)))

You could easily get a set of vistalites and make your own LED kit, for a shitload less. Use the same technology that allows lights to flash and whatnot with beats, at raves and whatnot.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Discö Rice

I see what you're saying, but if I'm gonna buy acrylic drums, they're going to be RCI acrylic welded shells, like  Precision Drum Co. and Acrylic Drums Heaven use. They're  stronger and they sound better. Vistalites have this janky support tab construction that makes them warp and crack easily.

Lumpy

Quote from: Hemisaurus on January 25, 2011, 09:47:11 PM
Haven't D.A.D. been doing this for years? They have an entire backline.

I've seen that pic a bunch of times, but I've never noticed the speaker cabs before because of that ridiculous bass.

I think "resonance" is good for guitar cabinets (?) but for bass, a big heavy cab that doesn't vibrate is supposed to be good - why? Doesn't absorb as much energy? Better projection? (wild guesses). Some manufacturers use MDF (type of composite 'particle' board) which is considered shit in the woodworking world... in the bass world, consensus seems to be that those cabs can sound fine but are heavy as shit, and they can bust up easier than plywood when you bounce your cab off the end of your tailgate. A big heavy non-resonant guitar cab might be good for stoner/doom, too - better lows?
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Jake

Josh Homme was using clear acrylic 4x12 cabs last time I saw him play with Them Crooked Vultures.
poop.

johnny problem

There's a portaflex here in town.  Not acrylic though.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: johnny problem on January 26, 2011, 08:07:35 PM

Well the little Ampeg logo is. I love the way that sucker looks like it's glowing when the tubes are all lit up behind it.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: johnny problem on January 26, 2011, 08:07:35 PM

solid amp, sounds damn good, too. I had one for about a week. That's when I was a gear slut...

oh wait.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

tomz.