Resonator Guitars, who's got one?

Started by neighbor664, January 26, 2011, 02:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neighbor664

I'm thinking about getting a metal bodied resonator guitar with my tax return. I'd like to know what your experiences have been with yours or ones you've looked at. If you have a "budget" model I'd like to know how it stacks up against more expensive guitars. I'm looking at Regals in the $500 range. Thanks.

Chovie D

I have a goldtone beard model SQUARENECK resonator(dobro), which is probably not what you had in mind at all. The body is mahogany not metal.
Squarenecks have ...square necks (surprise) and must be played with a bar. The strings are a good inch off the fretboard so theres no possibility of fretting it with your fingers.

Ive never played the Regal round neck resonators so i cant say much about them other than i have heard they are adequate.
Supposedly the most important thing with any resonator is to have the cone set up by a pro. The goldtone Beard models are set-up by Paul Beard himself in his USA shop (tho I am sure they are made in china or elsewhere first).

Do you want it for slide action or for fretting? Are you looking for a blues tone or a dire straits kind of tone?

I think a couple people here have the Eastwood resonators...jake?

heres a vid with some histrory

hayseed

A friend of mine in Chicago picked up a '33 National Resonator that sounds and looks fucking sweet! He frets his though i am sure it would work fine with a glass or metal slide as well. I have an old bar slide from my Grandfather that was meant to be used on a square neck. I have been wanting one for a long time but it is hard to find a good one. I have looked at a couple of Fenders and a few Nationals. Definitely an instrument that must be played before purchasing.
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC