Main Menu

Sunn 2x15 cabs

Started by hayseed, January 26, 2011, 10:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hayseed

Has anybody ever seen the inside if a SUNN 215B (4 ohm cab)? I found one out by Philly that has the wood under the grill cloth painted white. Is that a factory thing or is that an addition by a previous owner? It looks natural and quite nice but i had never seen one in white before! I believe this is the cab that would match up with the Concert Bass head with the Red Logo(mid to late 70s) if i am not mistaken.

I need to research it a bit but I may also have my hands on a 215S soon. Wall of Doom coming soon! HAHa!
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

VOLVO)))

White baffle board is indicative of the 610L, 215B and others like it. A beta bass or concert bass most likely came with it. Great cabs, the design is pretty great, they're sturdy. That Nubtex is tough. I'm pretty sure it's pine under it, though. Look for water damage and whatnot. Eminence Delta 15 b's go good in 'em. I personally enjoy the 2x15 dual showman cabs. They're shallow, nice and middy. Great cabs, can be had WAY cheap, too.

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Danny G

I would love to have one of those Sunn 2x15Bs. Would sound great and just look fucking cool.
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

hayseed

SunnO)))- the Bottomcab you have pictured is it! That is the one he sent a pic of anyway.
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

VOLVO)))

Yep, it's a fucking crusher in terms of assend. It's actually a pretty light cab, too. Enjoy it, man.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

clockwork green

There has been one for sale here in the bay area for a long while. I keep trying to talk our bassist into buying it but no such luck yet.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

spookstrickland

Those are my favorite style of Sunn cabs.  My 610L and my Model 3's are like that.  I want them all!
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

justinhedrick

i would love to have a matching set of these. or even 1 of them. you don't find them too often in the middle of illinois.

hayseed

Here is a pic of this beasty! He wants $300 for it but will take a swap.

[attachment deleted by admin]

hayseed

lets try posting like this since i can't seem to get it right.

And here is another one his guy has but he loaded it up and wants a little too much for it for me. The head sold yesterday but those interested it was a Sonaro. I had one a few years back and it crushed for guitar! I never used it for bass...

The Concert head and Cab(215S) still available but i am waiting to chisel the guy down in price a bit. Again...asking a little too much for this unemployed bastard!

VOLVO)))

I have a Sonaro. Godly head for guitar... Fixed your pictures. There's a button just below the "underline" button that looks like a small picture, CnP your link onto the board, highlight it, and click that little button and it'll give you the IMG tags.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

hayseed

Wow...Thanks! Knowing IS half the battle. haha! I am so retarded with a computer. My wife had to show me for the millionth time how to upload these pics! Bless her patience...

SunnO)))- do you think that Concert Bass head can push 2 2x15's?

VOLVO)))

It can, with ease, but if they're 4 ohms a pop, I wouldn't. 2 ohms is running that amp at maximum capacity, which will just wear on it, and wear on it. Two 8 ohms 2x15s for a total of 4 ohms? Yeah, it'll push 'em all day, and keep itself cool. Don't leave it on top of the cabs though, for some reason my Concert Lead has so much low end, it'll eventually rattle itself dead. It's the only amp I don't dime the bass on...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

hayseed

I know that the 215B is 4 ohm. Not sure on the other but i assume it is 4 as well. Should i rewire them if that is an option?

SunnO)))- sent you a PM btw.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: hayseed on January 27, 2011, 01:03:14 PM
I know that the 215B is 4 ohm. Not sure on the other but i assume it is 4 as well. Should i rewire them if that is an option?

SunnO)))- sent you a PM btw.

If they both have 8 ohm speakers in them, they'll probably be wired to 4 ohms, in parallel. If you put each set of two in series, you'd end up with 16 ohm cabs, and two of those = 8 ohms. That would lose you a little power on the amp's end, but it's still far from it's minimal impedance. it's 200W@2ohms. Hemi should chime in, in a bit, he's the bass-master.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

From the Sunn Forum

1st generation (black and aluminum faceplate w/ distortion knob) Concert Bass amps are rated for 4 Ohm minimum.

2nd generation (all black faceplate, no distortion knob) Concert Bass amps are rated down to 2 Ohms minimum.

I'd measure any cab, rather than trust it's impedance. People change drivers, do stupid recones etc. I have an 8 ohm driver that was reconed as a 4 ohm, I could never figure out why the cabs impedance measured wrong.

On solid state, the lower the impedance you drive, the more power your amp is pushing. So most people try to go low, but if your amp is elderly, it may not be able to cope with that kind of heat. More current drawn == more heat produced.

Also the lower the impedance of your speakers, the more that your cable losses matter. You may have a cable with say a one ohm impedance, when  driving an 8 ohms cab, it's getting 11% of your amps power, at 4 ohms it's getting 20% of the power at 2 ohms it's getting 33% of your amps power. So say your amp does 250W into 8 ohm, 3000W into 4 ohm and 350W into 2 ohm, that's 27W at 8 ohms lost in the cable, and a whopping 116W at 2 ohms.

That was why they started making 16 ohm cabinets for valve amps, the higher the cab impedance the less the cable losses matter, so for a valve amp go for the highest impedance that matches (if you have a cab thats switchable between 4 and 16 ohms, pick 16).

I do drive two 4 ohm cabs both 2x15's (Peavey's) @ 2 ohms, but I'm using a Peavey T-Max with a lot less miles on it. I make my cables out of 14 or 16 gauge outdoor flex. I buy two core extension cords and cut them up for cables.

chille01

I had a 115B for a while.  Tried to use if for guitar, paired with a 412.  It didn't add much, but it's not really meant for guitar anyway.  I ended up selling it.  The baffleboard was white though, to answer the original question.

hayseed

Thanks guys for all of the info. I hope to pick up a 215s and a 215b along with a Concert Bass head in the next week. I will post pics of it whenever i get it put together.

hayseed

Well...things do change to just a few days!

Scratch the cabs i previously mentioned. HAd some deals fall through due to sellers boosting the prices up through the roof! So instead of the Concert Bass head i picked up a Colisseum 300 for cheap and traded my 73 Acoustic cab for a 68(?) Sunn 2x15. So instead of paying almost a grand for my rig it ended up being more like $300. Thats a win in my book. I still want another 2x15 cab though

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh210/tenpoundsledge/Gear%20head/Sunnbasshead001.jpg
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh210/tenpoundsledge/Gear%20head/Sunn2151968.jpg

Hemisaurus

Nice old style Sunn cab like my old 612, does it have the original drivers?

hayseed

Hemisaurus

Huh, my Sunn 15"s say 'Bass Transducer on them (I ain't about to pull them out to prove it though) wonder if there was any difference between the guitar and the bass transducers, or if they were just different stickers, I suspect they were probably rebadged something elses anyways.

Mine too have the big square magnet.

hayseed

I noticed that too and was wondering the same thing. My speakers in my old 4x12 cab just said Sunn Transducers if i recall. I doubt i will leave them in anyway. The guy i am getting it from has 2 JBLs 2205's he planned on loading it with. maybe i will just tell him to load it up.

I know nothing about JBL 2205's btw but i have read decent things