Main Menu

New Orange Amps

Started by Jake, October 18, 2012, 12:12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam Hain

Quote from: chille01 on October 19, 2012, 03:38:04 AM

Last but not least... It was noisy. As in, in between playing, just standing there... A lot of hiss and pop. Of course, the thing was dimed. I'm interested to see what happens with the 50 watt version, if I don't have to push it right to the top. Still digging the clean channel opened up into power tube saturation over the higher gain dirty channel.
That doesnt sound right...My home practice amp is the TH-30 and its quiet even when pushed.

I dig the tone I get from it too and have used it in the studio quite a bit.

core9

Quote from: RAGER on October 18, 2012, 10:47:17 PM
My 72 Or120 is a gain monster.

Did I sell you that amp bro.....PIX only with the flight case?

dunwichamps

if OR120 is a gain beast to some people then we have different definitions of what a gain beast is.

RAGER

Quote from: core9 on October 19, 2012, 10:31:13 AM
Quote from: RAGER on October 18, 2012, 10:47:17 PM
My 72 Or120 is a gain monster.

Did I sell you that amp bro.....PIX only with the flight case?

Nope.  different amp

Quote from: dunwichamps on October 19, 2012, 10:34:44 AM
if OR120 is a gain beast to some people then we have different definitions of what a gain beast is.
Well to me it is but then again I'd never be the guy with a triple rec scooped mids chuggin a way type of guy.  I like unpotted pups too.
No Focus Pocus

dunwichamps

Quote from: RAGER on October 19, 2012, 11:10:37 AM
Well to me it is but then again I'd never be the guy with a triple rec scooped mids chuggin a way type of guy.  I like unpotted pups too.

they are gainy but not like a Soldano SLO or even some of the amps I build like The Wizard. Does not have to be a scooped mids amp to have significantly more gain available.e

RAGER

Oh I know.  Those two just go hand in hand it seems.  Someday I would love to have you build me something.  Your build quality is simply outstanding.  I'm still gathering data on what I would want.
No Focus Pocus

Jake

Also noted that the difference between running it on my 212 open back with Eminince drivers, versus my Traynor 412 with original Jensens was huge. Just sounded louder and more focused with the 412.

This. An amp's overall volume can be extremely dependent on the speakers and configuration you use. The more speakers you use, the more of you there is to hear. Not to mention the speaker and/or cabinet's efficiency. Which leads me to believe that the extra 20 watts you're trading up for might not yield the loudness you require, if running the same cabinet(s)...?
poop.

dunwichamps

Quote from: RAGER on October 19, 2012, 12:08:01 PM
Oh I know.  Those two just go hand in hand it seems.  Someday I would love to have you build me something.  Your build quality is simply outstanding.  I'm still gathering data on what I would want.

no problemo.

Pissy

Quote from: Submarine on October 18, 2012, 11:17:44 PM
They may also be using the Radial JDX box which gets inserted between the speaker out of the amp to the cabinet.
Its basically a DI box for electric guitar and the first to actually capture the amp tone properly.

I have one of these and it sounds like a sledgehammered asshole farting blood. And the jack on it has been fucked up since I pulled it out of the box. Everyone raves about Radials reliability and how top notch they are.

Simply put, not as advertised in my experience.
Vinyls.   deal.

chille01

Quote from: Jake on October 19, 2012, 12:27:01 PM
Also noted that the difference between running it on my 212 open back with Eminince drivers, versus my Traynor 412 with original Jensens was huge. Just sounded louder and more focused with the 412.

This. An amp's overall volume can be extremely dependent on the speakers and configuration you use. The more speakers you use, the more of you there is to hear. Not to mention the speaker and/or cabinet's efficiency. Which leads me to believe that the extra 20 watts you're trading up for might not yield the loudness you require, if running the same cabinet(s)...?

I plan on swapping the speakers out in that 212 soon, and also loading up another empty 212 closed back I just picked up. Run them both together for essentially a half open, half closed 412. But really, I don't think the 212 is the limiting factor. I run the same cab with my Traynor YBA-1, and The only volume issues I have is being too loud. That's the reason I was attracted to the TH-30, the ability to switch down to lower wattages.

Jake

Gotcha. Well I've got a 50watt Thunderverb and I can tell you that when I run it with 6x12s (2x12 on top of a 4x12), I'm sure glad it has a built in attenuator. Even at 30-50% volume, it needs attenuated down another 20-25%. Fucker is loud.
poop.

dunwichamps

that control labelled attenuator is not an attenuator, thats a big fat lie. Its just a post phase master volume

Jake

Well then fuck that mess. I putting it in the garbage.
poop.

RacerX

Quote from: Jake on October 19, 2012, 05:49:19 PM
Well then fuck that mess. I putting it in the garbage.

Can I have it?TM
Livin' The Life.

clockwork green

Death to false attenuation!
Attenuation in general just seems like a mess...too many amps and such just seem to fall apart, they often color the tone in a negative way.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

dunwichamps

its okay that its not an attenuator. Essentially what you have are 2 pre phase masters labelled volume for each channel, oddly pre FX loop, and then the post phase after the phase inverter. I played through a thunderverb 200, that control is not particularly a problem.

Submarine

Quote from: Pissy on October 19, 2012, 01:56:33 PM
They may also be using the Radial JDX box which gets inserted between the speaker out of the amp to the cabinet.
Its basically a DI box for electric guitar and the first to actually capture the amp tone properly.

I have one of these and it sounds like a sledgehammered asshole farting blood. And the jack on it has been fucked up since I pulled it out of the box. Everyone raves about Radials reliability and how top notch they are.

I use Radial products quite a bit and they can take the punishment of the road.  I have heard the JDX used with excellent results but in all situations mics were blended in.  Like with any piece of gear - your mileage may vary.

eoin_not_ian

One of my mates has the TH30 head and 2x12 cab. Sounds really nice.

My other mate has the TH30 combo which I tried in my search for a good guitar amp. I didn't like it much at all. Personally I think the cab itself is too small and prevents the sound from having any body whatsoever.

I like the Ad30 heads from previous experience. However outside of the Terror stuff I just find the Orange stuff to be too highly priced for what you are getting.

Naxzul

I have a Rockerverb 50 head/Orange 4x12 setup and it rules. Gear tyrants and bedroom legends be damned :)
http://deadriverrunsdry.bandcamp.com/
www.facebook.com/DeadRiverRunsDry

moose23

I quite like the AD140, sounds great if a tad underpowered for bass.

Pissy

Quote from: Submarine on October 19, 2012, 06:21:24 PM
Quote from: Pissy on October 19, 2012, 01:56:33 PM

I use Radial products quite a bit and they can take the punishment of the road.  I have heard the JDX used with excellent results but in all situations mics were blended in.  Like with any piece of gear - your mileage may vary.

I tried using it live twice and both times it failed on me.  When it did work at rehearsal getting tracks down, it was used like you describe in conjunction with a mic'd cab and blending it in would yield a good sound, I will say that.  I narrowed the problem down to the jack and haven't messed with it since.
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

i use a Radial Big Shot and am quite pleased with it.  Very well built product.
No Focus Pocus

chille01

Well, took the TH-30 back, and the TH-100 I intended to pick up walked out the door 20 minutes before I got there. Guess it wasn't meant to be. There is however this on Craigslist:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/msg/3323828162.html

Not a new Orange but an old one. Anyone know much about this series? Price seems a little steep to me, but I don't know much about vintage Orange prices .

chille01

Quote from: dunwichamps on October 20, 2012, 04:29:13 PM
overpriced

I suspected as much. Any suggestion on a fair price, or assessment on the amp if price is removed from the equation? I doubt the guy would let it go for less than $1500, fair or not.