Who's your musical hero?

Started by zachoff, February 07, 2011, 12:47:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LogicalFrank

I think they actually called him Jimmy.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

inductorguitars

Quote from: LogicalFrank on April 11, 2011, 10:28:51 AM
I think they actually called him Jimmy.

Coffee and cigarettes?

Might sound strange but I really dig Warren Zevon.

SA @ electrical
Blixa Bargeld
And for poppy stuff Jim and William Reid

I almost put GG down as a joke.  ;D

dogfood

"Oh, Jimmy, just you shut your mouth!" -china girl

Problem solving whiskey!

dogfood

hey,

Inductorguitars, you know a drummer by the name of Elliot Dix?  he was a Columbus local I used to look up to.
Problem solving whiskey!

SpaceTrucker

Joe Walsh Just for his Guitar playing and general attitude. As for bass players, Les Claypool is not to be underestimated. He is the best of our generation. Well my generation doesn't really have anyone who can "Play" so much as its just a bunch of "Producers" There are alot of people I know my age who can play guitar and bass better than most I've heard, but that ain't everything.

Hemisaurus

Seeing as nobody else seems to limit themselves to one, I'm gonna throw in Julian Cope, for proving you can be weird, British, anti religion, anti establishment, vegetarian, and still play whatever the fuck you want, regardless of genre.

Oh yeah, and he has a 400W custom Matamp too  ;D

inductorguitars

Quote from: dogfood on April 11, 2011, 10:46:52 PM
hey,

Inductorguitars, you know a drummer by the name of Elliot Dix?  he was a Columbus local I used to look up to.

I don't know him, but the name sounds familiar.

dogfood

come to think of it SA@Electrical is one of my very very heroes.  I know he's a tele fan.  you gonna do some work for him?
Problem solving whiskey!

inductorguitars

Quote from: dogfood on April 12, 2011, 09:39:07 PM
come to think of it SA@Electrical is one of my very very heroes.  I know he's a tele fan.  you gonna do some work for him?

I can only wish. :)

inductorguitars

Oh I wanted  to add:

Robert Fripp
Skinny Puppy - just for their soundscape ability.

beardofcthulhu

It used to be Scott Ian.  I always worshipped his playing style, his choice of equipment, and his writing.  Sure enough, as with any hero, he began to fall apart, and the green curtain slowly revealed who he really is.  In the years after the great Belladonna fallout, he has continually let me down, from the songs, to the way he (mis)manages the band as a whole.  And on top of all of that, he's been in on one cash grab after another.  Of course, if there was no internet, no Blabbermouth, it would be business as usual, and we as fans would be none the wiser.  Any inside information is too much, I guess.  Anyway, I still idolize his playing, but the man is less than a hero.

Now, it's Lemmy.  Bare bones full throttle rock n' roll at its finest.
Peace through volume.

Isabellacat

Necromancer

I play guitar and bass.

Rush are the reason I play, so Lee/Lifeson have to be at the top of my list.

My own playing however, has evolved along the Sabbath lines, so that automatically adds Iommi/Butler.

I will also add Victor Griffin, Wino, Peter Vicar, Greg Anderson, Gary Jennings, Albert Witchfinder, and Leif Edling.

sheikyerbouti

i would definetly put zappa at the top of my list
others would be:
buzz osbourne
mike patton
leslie west
tom g warrior
mark greening
freddie king
greg ginn
iommi
tim sult
matt pike
al cisneros
chris hakius

neighbor664

jibberish

far and away jimi

tied for second would be:

best band ever to this day: King Crimson
band that gave me the most: black sabbath
best genius freak: frank zappa. btw, was listening to chunga's revenge earlier today(fun rowdy album :) ) and his little guitar blisters thrown in just right, then a section where he was sort of just dicking around with a weird sound. fucking phenomenal even that early in his career.
total amazing music god : Prince

and finally special category:
Nick Menza for spending srs quality time with my son building drums. there is nothing that can top his and Icky's(DCCalifornia's owner) kindness  to my son = true heroes.

mortlock

Hemisaurus

This guy. Just sitting in the studio, relaxing, playing a bit of bass.

MichaelZodiac

When I started playing the bass, I'd play with a pick, seeing punk/hardcore bass players in my area was the cause of that. But I sucked balls and I started listening to very different things so after a while these bass players (first 3 are obvious) were an influence in tossing that pick aside and choosing to play with fingers:

Geezer Butler
Cliff Burton
Al Cisneros
Scott Reeder
Jeff Matz (that bassline on Death is this Communion is fucking awesome and one I jam frequently)

Mike Watt has been an inspiration throughout the years as well but one I discovered much later (sadly)
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

Mr Neutron

"Where words fail, music speaks."

bitter

There are definitely some good choices in here. Sunn 0))) is right on with Abbath; I dig his songwriting style. Some other good ones would have to be Quorthon and Jimmie Bower just for the emotion their music inspires. Matt Pike's work leading up to Surrounded by Thieves flat out changed the way I play music.

Topping my list right now:

Wino - This is more of a recent deal for me. Its weird, I never really realized how Wino's music has been a constant in my life over the last 5-6 years. Everything he does just makes sense to me. No bullshit. Just raw power and emotion.

John Gossard - At the end of the day, Weakling's dead as dreams was a masterpiece. Easily one of the most powerful and emotional albums I've ever heard. The dude is one of the the most epic riff writers I've heard in some time. I dig Asunder, The Gault, and dispirit just as much. Great songwriter and vocalist.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Rusty Face

A few for me:

Al Jolson: Almost single handed in bringing "Black" music to the mainstream.

which leads on to
Son House: Very little in musical talent, just pure passion

Geezer Butler: Fuzzed out vegan bassist. Like me  :)
I started a VD clinic from scratch