In Between Amps they are not clean and they are not dirty either?

Started by spookstrickland, February 07, 2011, 04:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spookstrickland

What are some of the best amps for that in between tone?  You know that ones that are not "Fender" clean or Marshally gritty.  Just like thick and colored with out breaking up?  Kind of like the amp tones on Jefferson Airplanes White Rabbit.

I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

zachoff

Fender Bassman.  There's a cliff of a falling off point when the breakup turns to mud but other than that I think they're awesome for guitar (and for bass but not loud enough for a lot of bands).  They also take to pedals really well.

Gravitron

My MusicMan HD 130 does the same thing.  The fuzz doesn't sound good .. .the clean is crystal clean.  The in-between is a good sound.

justinhedrick

my sovtek mig 50h is good at this too. sounds really good when hit with a rat pedal. hmm. may take that amp to practice with me tomorrow night!

Baltar

second the mig50.  Mine took fuzz pedals really well and kicked out Angus/Malcomb tones all day.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

E9th

blackface bassman
tweed deluxe
marshall 18 watt
any tube amp with a TS808 in front of it.

ROWDYBEER

My v4 sounds pretty in between when it's cranked pretty good. Not distortion and not clean. I don't like it. It sounds good but when you kick in a rat or a fuzz it's awesome.

mawso

put a 12au7 in a valve junior and it does "not clean and not dirty" really well

black_out

I've never used one, but I always associated the TS808 with hair bands for some reason. I'll have to check one out.

Quote from: E9th on February 07, 2011, 05:59:20 PM
blackface bassman
tweed deluxe
marshall 18 watt

By my side I keep my things that I ne-uh-ed! Rest in peace is gonna set me free!

blackkrosses

Quote from: justinhedrick on February 07, 2011, 05:36:51 PM
my sovtek mig 50h is good at this too. sounds really good when hit with a rat pedal. hmm. may take that amp to practice with me tomorrow night!

+1. I'm running a Rat in front of my MIG-50. Completely different amp than the 50h though.
It breaks up quicker when running a y-splitter to both channels. Awesome that you can mix the low end of the "bassman" (I) channel with the bite of the "plexi" (II) channel. I also like plugging into channel I and cranking it to get a nice soggy breakup.

E9th

Quote from: black_out on February 07, 2011, 07:08:57 PM
I've never used one, but I always associated the TS808 with hair bands for some reason. I'll have to check one out.

blackface bassman
tweed deluxe
marshall 18 watt

the TS808 is the classic tubescreamer used by Stevie Ray Vaughn. Its kind of the opposite of "hair band".

Jake

Quote from: E9th on February 08, 2011, 06:19:56 PM

the TS808 is the classic tubescreamer used by Stevie Ray Vaughn. Its kind of the opposite of "hair band".

Whatevs, Hairspray.
poop.

black_out

I tried to applaud you twice but it wouldn't let me.

Quote from: Jake on February 08, 2011, 06:41:34 PM

Whatevs, Hairspray.
By my side I keep my things that I ne-uh-ed! Rest in peace is gonna set me free!

mawso

Quote from: black_out on February 07, 2011, 07:08:57 PM

blackface bassman
tweed deluxe
marshall 18 watt

maiden used a TS and I think it would have been the 808 - they were pretty spandexy once upon a time

most people seem to want one to go with mesas or 5150s now, for that gothenburg sound thing.. gross misuse of a really nice pedal imo, but hey heaps of people are into it