A good dirt or fuzz pedal I can find quickly?

Started by Instant Dan, February 10, 2011, 10:31:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Instant Dan

With my epiphone valve coming in the mail soon I realized apart from my phase 90 and tuner, I have no dirt, overdrive, or fuzz pedals. Can anyone recommend me some good and cheap pedals as such I can find in stores readily? Don't really have the cash right now to do more expensive, nothing over $70.

johnny problem

Boss DS-1.  From what I've seen with US pricing, they're like 40 $ brand new.

justinhedrick

danelectro french toast. foxx tone machine clone. it is a good splattery fuzz, but also has the octave up.

also, with the fuzz all the way down, it sounds like a dying battery. not very musical, but it might be useful?

NoSleepTilSleep

Danelectro-Cool Cat Fuzz. The newer ones in the orange-metal enclosure. They're basically tuned Big-Muff clones with a serious amount of bass and mids (also true-bypass if that matters to you).

justinhedrick

Quote from: NoSleepTilSleep on February 10, 2011, 11:55:46 AM
Danelectro-Cool Cat Fuzz. The newer ones in the orange-metal enclosure. They're basically tuned Big-Muff clones with a serious amount of bass and mids (also true-bypass if that matters to you).

i got one of these for christmas. haven't even got around to plugging it in.

zachoff

Quote from: johnny problem on February 10, 2011, 11:29:50 AM

Yeah, you can get them for like $25 used.  There are a ton of mods out there for them too, but I think they sound pretty good out of the box.  I used one for a while in my bass rig and liked it more than the ODB-3, Bass Blowtorch, and Big Muff.

giantchris

Quote from: johnny problem on February 10, 2011, 11:29:50 AM
I 3rd that and its easy to get them used for nothing off of craigslist.

ROWDYBEER

I have a 1979 mxr dist. + I would probably sell. Let me know. It's a cool distortion.

Instant Dan

Can you sell it in time by Saturday and keep it under $70? ::)

Discö Rice

Boss DS2. more options. I love those distortion + pedals, but holy shit do they ever squeal.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

ROWDYBEER

Pm me if you want it. No way I could get it to you by Saturday.

E9th

for fuzz , this is $23 and sounds like a boss FZ2

dano french toast is good too.

for overdrive a tubescreamer or dod250
for distortion boss ds1 or 2 used on CL all day everyday

for ac/dc-ish blues and rock a tubescreamer is nice with the epi valve amps
if you want doom get the behringer sf300

barney steele

Little big muff. The tone wicker models are cool too but maybe a little bit out of your price range. Also check out a BBE american metal distortion pedal. Guitar Center is liquidating them for $30-$40. I was very suprised with this pedal. Sounds like a souped-up DS-1 thats much quieter. SD-1's are pretty decent too. Very cheap and you can mod the shit out of them.

Lumpy

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

clockwork green

I think a full Pete Cornish board is what you're looking for.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Baltar

Quote from: clockwork green on February 10, 2011, 08:10:16 PM
I think a full Pete Cornish board is what you're looking for.

Spit my wine out.  Go for a DS-1 or a Dano pedal if you're looking for cheap.  The tone wicker mod on any given Muff is very easy to do.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

Instant Dan

Nevermind, it didn't get processed in till midnight so it won't be here till tuesday. I'll just go around town and get something good and put it on the credit card.

Instant Dan

I know it is not a dirt or fuzz pedal but I got a Fulltone Fat Boost V2 pedal. The reason being is that honestly when I ran through their JMP 50 watter and epiphone valve they had there it fattened the sound and almost gave it besides the possibility to overdrive it, like said, fatness and almost a little fuzz if tweaked right. Anyway, another pedal that impressed me was the Austone Millenium Overdrive but spending $250 on an Overdrive is pure idiocy for me, wanted to get a Swollen Pickle but they were out. Overall, I am happy with my purchase it works as a solo booster, or to push your amp into overload.

EDIT: Oh shit, I should have jumped on that Austone pedal, they are no longer in production since the guy who made them passed. Shit...

EDITx2: Picked it up for 80.

Lumpy

I still think you should try out that Cool Cat fuzz, or even better, run your overdrive into the Cool Cat fuzz.

I don't know which version you have, but the first version of that pedal is supposed to be a clone of the Frantone Peach Fuzz, a 250 dollar pedal. I'm sure the 2nd version is a good fuzz, too.

Instant Dan

I have the 2nd Version, hence the V2, the one with a pretty red sparkle finish.

Lumpy

I mean the Cool Cat Fuzz... the first version was a clone of the Frantone Peach Fuzz. They got busted on it, so they changed the circuit. I'm sure the 2nd version fuzz is cool too.

Instant Dan

My bad :-[

I'll take a look into them, I have read they have been discontinued but i'll check if GC has any still.

Lumpy

Oh shit, I thought you said you already had one... but it was JustinHedrick who said he got it for Christmas (Duh!) My bad!!

mawso

Quote from: E9th on February 10, 2011, 06:20:13 PM
for fuzz , this is $23 and sounds like a boss FZ2

i have one & a VJ.  together they're a lot of fun