German Oak guitar effect question

Started by liquidsmoke, February 11, 2011, 04:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

liquidsmoke

What the hell is the guitar going through on this track? I should know, it sounds very Hendrix like, it's got to be more than just a wah, I need one whatever it is! My brain is swimming in my skull right now! Why I never actually heard German Oak until now I have no idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MlWLQ6nK1M&feature=related

Baltar

Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

E9th

that is an original uni-vibe, currently one of the more expensive vintage effects.

a good cheap clone is the dano chicken salad, but none of the clones will sound as good as the the one in that clip

liquidsmoke

Quote from: E9th on February 11, 2011, 02:20:09 PM
that is an original uni-vibe, currently one of the more expensive vintage effects.

a good cheap clone is the dano chicken salad, but none of the clones will sound as good as the the one in that clip

Ah, thank you! I'll do some research on clones.

E9th

heres one on ebay for only $1300
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-UNIVIBE-UNIT-PEDAL-ORIGINAL-1969-1971-/220735351813?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3364da2c05

Ive tried most of the clones.
Dunlop $200 , fulltone $350, voodoo labs $150 but the best sounding to me was oddly the $25 Dano chicken salad
I have not tried the dano cool cat vibe

RacerX

"I have not tried the dano cool cat vibe"

I've got one, and I'm diggin' it. It was like $60. Metal housing, true bypass.
Livin' The Life.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: E9th on February 11, 2011, 05:10:48 PM
heres one on ebay for only $1300
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-UNIVIBE-UNIT-PEDAL-ORIGINAL-1969-1971-/220735351813?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3364da2c05

Ive tried most of the clones.
Dunlop $200 , fulltone $350, voodoo labs $150 but the best sounding to me was oddly the $25 Dano chicken salad
I have not tried the dano cool cat vibe

That dude can really play! There seem to be thousands of guitar players who have the crazy Hendrix like chops and loads of vintage/awesome gear yet they aren't in mind bending psychedelic bands. I don't get it! Sure there are "jam bands" all over the place and some of them are very good and a lot of fun to go see live but when it comes to more Hendrix/Cream/Butterfly/Cheer/Big Brother/etc sounds you don't really see it much and when you do the bands leave out most of the psychedelic elements and go more for blues rock. Sure there are stoner bands and there are Witchcraft type bands and I like a lot of that stuff but few go for the late '60s big psych sound.. aside from guys who do home videos to show off gear and techniques they don't seem to actually use in bands. Perhaps people are embarrassed to play old style psychedelic rock because they think it's just been done to death and assume that no one would be interested in hearing it??? Bullshit. I want to hear it. I'm in a metal band at the moment but at some point in the future my heavy psych ideas will become a band or at least a studio project, even if it's just me half assing my way through all of the instruments myself and singing about acid trips. It must happen. Sorry for the rant.

$25 for the chicken salad? I'm buying one next paycheck even if it isn't true bypass.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: RacerX on February 11, 2011, 09:15:09 PM

"I have not tried the dano cool cat vibe"

I've got one, and I'm diggin' it. It was like $60. Metal housing, true bypass.

Nice!

E9th

regarding people not playing psychedelic rock I think its two things, one was what you mentioned about them gravitating towards more trad blues based rock. I suspect the other is that as people get older they have less time for their "hobbies", less freinds, they go out less, and therefor...just dont have the energy to try and gather up 4 other geezers and work up a set. Its true you almost never see Nuggets style bands. everyone is playing Mustang Sally or Whipping POst ..wretch

Heres a video of chicken salad vs cool cat, same guy. they sound the same to me. Probably wortht the extra $ for the coolcat for the metal housing. I scored my chicken salads used for 10$ each.

eyeprod

That dude can really play! There seem to be thousands of guitar players who have the crazy Hendrix like chops and loads of vintage/awesome gear yet they aren't in mind bending psychedelic bands. I don't get it! Sure there are "jam bands" all over the place and some of them are very good and a lot of fun to go see live but when it comes to more Hendrix/Cream/Butterfly/Cheer/Big Brother/etc sounds you don't really see it much and when you do the bands leave out most of the psychedelic elements and go more for blues rock. Sure there are stoner bands and there are Witchcraft type bands and I like a lot of that stuff but few go for the late '60s big psych sound.. aside from guys who do home videos to show off gear and techniques they don't seem to actually use in bands. Perhaps people are embarrassed to play old style psychedelic rock because they think it's just been done to death and assume that no one would be interested in hearing it??? Bullshit. I want to hear it. I'm in a metal band at the moment but at some point in the future my heavy psych ideas will become a band or at least a studio project, even if it's just me half assing my way through all of the instruments myself and singing about acid trips. It must happen. Sorry for the rant.

$25 for the chicken salad? I'm buying one next paycheck even if it isn't true bypass.
[/quote]

yeah, those guys are a dime a dozen it seems. there's a huge difference between recording a vid of yourself playing a few cool licks ripped off from hendrix, and playing it live with a rockin band. Someone can do take after take until you find one you think is worth posting on youtube. it's not really impressive to me personally. I'd much rather see nerdy guy on stage ripping it up with hot pink shorts on, then that bedroom nonsense with guitars and amps in the background. do your psych project yourself and have fun with it.

that pedal sounds cool btw!
CV - Slender Fungus

Lumpy

He's probably in a band, since he's playing through a real amp and surrounded by drums.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: E9th on February 12, 2011, 10:20:20 AM
regarding people not playing psychedelic rock I think its two things, one was what you mentioned about them gravitating towards more trad blues based rock. I suspect the other is that as people get older they have less time for their "hobbies", less freinds, they go out less, and therefor...just dont have the energy to try and gather up 4 other geezers and work up a set. Its true you almost never see Nuggets style bands. everyone is playing Mustang Sally or Whipping POst ..wretch

Heres a video of chicken salad vs cool cat, same guy. they sound the same to me. Probably wortht the extra $ for the coolcat for the metal housing. I scored my chicken salads used for 10$ each.

Thanks for posting that vid. I really can't tell the difference between those 2 units, they both sound great. Yeah metal housing and true bypass probably make the coolcat a better deal even if it's a bit more expensive.

Good points about bands. I was buzzed last night when I ranted about that.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Lumpy on February 12, 2011, 02:07:58 PM
He's probably in a band, since he's playing through a real amp and surrounded by drums.

Quite possibly. The first video didn't reveal the drums though. I wasn't trying to insult the dude at all, I like seeing videos like that.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: eyeprod on February 12, 2011, 12:36:44 PM

yeah, those guys are a dime a dozen it seems. there's a huge difference between recording a vid of yourself playing a few cool licks ripped off from hendrix, and playing it live with a rockin band. Someone can do take after take until you find one you think is worth posting on youtube. it's not really impressive to me personally. I'd much rather see nerdy guy on stage ripping it up with hot pink shorts on, then that bedroom nonsense with guitars and amps in the background. do your psych project yourself and have fun with it.

that pedal sounds cool btw!
[/quote]

Take after take or not, anyone who can rip runs like that has some talent. I like those videos. Youtube has changed the way I buy gear for sure.
Thanks for the encouragement. I more or less suck at guitar but I think I'm okay at writing riffs at least so I'll just have to see what I can come up with. I really like what I've sketched together so far in the psychedelic vein. Getting the metal band ready to gig and record is my main priority at the moment.

spookstrickland

I don't understand it either.  I love the 60's Psychedelic thing too.  It just seems hard to get people who can be willing to risk that kind free form trippy musical creation.

Me and my old Drummer did this song and everyone told us it was the best thing we ever did but he did not like playing it because it was "too free form'  Some times we would crash and burn but some times it was an orgasm.

I don't mind the risk myself.

I was going for that trippy spacey Hendrix vibe tone here:

I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org