Rogue stringed instruments?

Started by Ranbat, February 12, 2011, 03:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranbat

Anybody here bought any of the Rogue stuff from Musicians Friend? Just wondering if stuff like the mandolins and lap steels, or even their 'dobros' are worth the money. I'm just looking at them as entry level instruments to play around with and see if I have any real interest.
Meh :/

db3jed

I've had access to two of their dreadnought guitars and thought they were decent guitars for the price.
Surprisingly good playability and not a half bad tone.
I haven't used any other Rogue instruments but I've heard that the lap steel wasn't half bad. 

Ranbat

I just want one to play around with and see if I want to get more serious about it. Same with a mandolin or 'dobro'.

db3jed

They would probably be a perfect place to start then.
The cost/quality ratio is pretty high based on my experience with the two different Rogue acoustic guitars I've played.

zachoff

I think I'd be more inclined to go with www.rondomusic.net than I would be to go with Rogue.  I've just never played anything from Rogue that was worth more than the price & that's not true with rondo's lineup.  Generally giggable instruments for next to nothing.

E9th

lap steel it doesnt matter so much,  its a plank and a pickup, but you can probably find a used vinatge one for almost the same price.
Mando is gonna be crap and I imagine barely playable.
The rogue dobro's Ive heard are playable, but havent played one myself.

I got a used mexican made "Lone Star" mando for $275 and thats what i use.
Beard Goldtone dobro was around $600.
Fender Champion Lap steel from the 60's was $275.

Jake

There's a Rogue version of this guitar that I would really love to have, marginal quality or not

poop.

Ranbat

Quote from: zachoff on February 15, 2011, 08:49:31 AM
I think I'd be more inclined to go with www.rondomusic.net than I would be to go with Rogue.  I've just never played anything from Rogue that was worth more than the price & that's not true with rondo's lineup.  Generally giggable instruments for next to nothing.

I've looked at their stuff too as I own two Agiles and owned one other. I'm always looking for cheap gear and was thinking of trying the Rogue stuff. User reviews rate most of it highly, but who knows who is really doing those reviews.

Hemisaurus

I played a Rogue bass that someone had pulled all the frets out, to make 'fretless' it actually played really well. That's no comment on their acoustic stuff, but the build quality of the bass was good, OK sounding pickup nice neck, obviously can't comment on fret dressing  :D

Also played a Drive bass, which I believe was another MF brand, 3/4 scale very nice for playing, good warm sound for the reggae band.

Ranbat

Quote from: E9th on February 15, 2011, 09:24:48 AM
lap steel it doesnt matter so much,  its a plank and a pickup, but you can probably find a used vinatge one for almost the same price.
Mando is gonna be crap and I imagine barely playable.
The rogue dobro's Ive heard are playable, but havent played one myself.

I got a used mexican made "Lone Star" mando for $275 and thats what i use.
Beard Goldtone dobro was around $600.
Fender Champion Lap steel from the 60's was $275.

It sounds like you're abit more serious than I am.

Rogue Mando $39.99-$129.99
Rogue dobro $149.99-$199.99
Rogue lapsteel $99.99-$199.99

I'm just looking to get something to start out on. I have read that the Rogue Mando's play pretty good if you have them set up, but that they have a really shrill tone.

E9th

I played a rogue dobro today. round neck, resonator. It sounded good and played well, felt sturdy and stayed in tune.. I enjoyed it.
I played a bunch of low end mandos too. They were unplayble. No Rogues but  alot of Ibanez, Kentucky, Royer..all horrid.
A mando is something Id never buy online, you really need to play em first to see if they are dead on the high frets, have decent action, bridge is intonated correctly etc.

Id like to check out that regal sitar too. The Jerry Jones is $1k, the original Danelectro Coral Sitars are gong for over $2K and the rogue is $350. The dano was used on a ton of famous recordings in the late 60's. beach Boys, motown, Spinakl Tap(listen to the flower people)

justJon

I'm hardly a mandolin star, but I've tried three different Rogue mandolins that I found essentially unplayable. Action too high, intonation off, wouldn't hold a tune for long enough for me to demo it in the store. Cigar-box tone. I could go on, but do I have to?
A wooly man without a face, or a beast without a name.