Main Menu

Jucifer rig

Started by eddiefive10, June 28, 2013, 10:10:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddiefive10

Ok I saw jucifer last night for the first time and I've always been a fan of high volume kill you loud live music. But with that said it also has to come with definition and tone (may hit a sore spot here with some people) so with that said, if you were to help her redesign her rig for volume and tone, what would you do?

Me I would keep just the 8x10 and 4x12, run the 8x10 on the bottom relatively clean stacking the 4x12 on top getting most of my dirt from them.  Amp I think the bass amps for the 8x10 are fine but maybe a preamp/power amp set up for the 4x12.

Anyway what's your thoughts for maximum volume and tone?

Jake

Some people think less is more. Some people think more is more. My position evolves – but hovers somewhere in the middle, probably skewing toward more.

But it mostly depends on the band. When I see Jucifer, I want to watch shit rattle off the bar. Even at the expense of a clear and defined guitar/bass sound. When I see Drive By Truckers, I'm more than content to listen to their cranked combo amps.
poop.

rayinreverse

Im pretty sure I wouldnt even like Jucifer if it wasnt a hot chick standing in front of a million amps.

I dont think theres brilliant songwriting buried in there. Im happy to enjoy the schtick.

VOLVO)))

I think they should optimize cable runs. Stack the three v9 cabs she has, power all of them with nearby solidstate. Stand up the 8x10s, power each with solid state. Use main guitar-tonebased setup, 4x12s in full stack configuration powered by tubeamps or whatever, and slave the rest of everything. I think they should dump the horns and anything unnecessarily heavy, and inefficient, speakerwise.

Guitar --- pedalboard --- guitar rig ---- slave everything else. Keep it as tight as possible, stack for neatness so nothing falls.

I talked to them after a show one time, they're so super nice it isn't even funny. haha
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Mr. Foxen

Bandpass everything that might be causing phase conflicts (so mostly high passing shit aside from whatever is most capable of lows), crossfire cabs. You can do definition and lows, just need to not have tons of mess fucking it up. Phase isn't just in or out, its a 360 degree thing, so shit can be out of phase in particular frequency bands.

eddiefive10

Another I noticed last night half the 8x10 seemed blown by looking at what speakers were moving and what wasn't

neighbor664

A wall of very aesthetically impressive speaker cabinets with equally impressive amplifier heads place in logical, symmetrical positions. Not plugged into any thing.
Behind these a budget crossover into bass and guitar Sansamps.
The signal would then be ran to the house PA. Only clubs with good, loud PA with subs booked, of course.
Also,  a smoke machine. Everything is more impressive with smoke.
While this is far from ideal and probably not so great sounding most won't even notice the difference.
In fact, based on the visual impressiveness of it all many people in the audience will claim it was the loudest most crushing thing they ever heard.

RacerX

A bunch of random gear plugged in willy-nilly and cranked is exactly why Jucifer sounds like they do. I wouldn't change a thing.
Livin' The Life.

eddiefive10

Quote from: SunnO))) on June 28, 2013, 11:23:53 AM
I think they should optimize cable runs. Stack the three v9 cabs she has, power all of them with nearby solidstate. Stand up the 8x10s, power each with solid state. Use main guitar-tonebased setup, 4x12s in full stack configuration powered by tubeamps or whatever, and slave the rest of everything. I think they should dump the horns and anything unnecessarily heavy, and inefficient, speakerwise.

Guitar --- pedalboard --- guitar rig ---- slave everything else. Keep it as tight as possible, stack for neatness so nothing falls.

I talked to them after a show one time, they're so super nice it isn't even funny. haha

I think there is a lot of it that's just excess garbage, but that's just my 2 cents. I dug them and thought they were really good live, but the lack if definition in her tone just made for a garbled mess at times, she could have a very large impressive rig but with better tone if some things were just eliminated

Jake

I can see your point, but you're missing the important part. "Better" is probably not the same to you as it is to her.
poop.

liquidsmoke

It's a gimmick of course but it has it's place.

Two 4x12 stacks and two 4x10 stacks each with a 300 watt SVT tube head cranked would sound better with the right pedals and still be extremely loud only you'd be able to hear the drums and her vocals better.

VOLVO)))

I dunno, Edgar plays pretty fuckin hard.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

He does but it's hard to keep up with a jet engine. The Beast In the Field drummer can be hard to hear and they aren't nearly as loud as Jucifer used to be. They(Jucifer) has toned it done somewhat over the years at least.

Mr. Foxen

Also suddenly having a defined sound might show up not being able to play for shit. Kinda hope Jucifier have played enough to have it down, but I'm pretty sure some bands rocking the massive backline just can't play for shit.

VOLVO)))

Shut up, gear snob. :D

edit: you guys should join in on the Facebook gearsnobbery forums, I am way more of a dick there, and Oli is, too. It's good fun!

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

gritty_fingers

Quote from: rayinreverse on June 28, 2013, 11:10:06 AM
Im pretty sure I wouldnt even like Jucifer if it wasnt a hot chick standing in front of a million amps.

I dont think theres brilliant songwriting buried in there. Im happy to enjoy the schtick.

I really like their last album Throne in blood. It comes very close to early Celtic Frost.
"Ginger People"

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: SunnO))) on June 28, 2013, 09:13:22 PM
Shut up, gear snob. :D

edit: you guys should join in on the Facebook gearsnobbery forums, I am way more of a dick there, and Oli is, too. It's good fun!

Pretty much running with being a dick on my ampstack page.

QuoteMusic taste is subjective just like art, politics and religion. If you took the time to 'look' and 'listen' and not pre judge you would see that 'Mcfly' for instance are equal musicians to most out there.

VOLVO)))

Saw that, this morning :-)

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

Quote from: RacerX on June 28, 2013, 12:23:47 PM
A bunch of random gear plugged in willy-nilly and cranked is exactly why Jucifer sounds like they do. I wouldn't change a thing.

yup
No Focus Pocus

Dr.Zayus

Jucifer is performance art and damned good performance art. I wouldn't change a thing.

spookstrickland

My old saying is:  How much is too much??? Not enough.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

the diddler

links to dickface gearsnob forums please.

also-  my sole jucifer experience was playing a show with them probably 8 years ago.  they were dicks.  and sounded like shit.

jibberish

she gave me the idea of collecting like 50 crap practice amps and making a wall out of those heh.

also, I decided V9's have a problem: phase difference in the 3 series drivers. I don't think cutting-thru of the bass needs anything detracting from it. UNLESS you are looking for the slightly smeared sound.

I have been kicking around thoughts of building my nephew a bass cab.
as of right now, it would be a stack of 4x10's each 8 ohm made of 4 32 ohm drivers that would present a 4 ohm,  ampeg refrigerator sized deal to the amp.

VOLVO)))

Eh, those cabs are ported, so bass isn't much of an issue. They managed to make those cabs run at 4ohms, too.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.