Main Menu

Dan Electrode

Started by Ranbat, February 17, 2011, 10:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranbat

This is pretty cool for those of us that like that dying battery sound on our pedals. I'm gonna have to pick one of these up just to have around. The link has sound samples.

http://www.danelectrode.com/hear.html
Meh :/

Hemisaurus

DIY Alert  ;D

If anyone has an extra wall wart and access to RadioShack. You can make a variable supply out of any wall wart you have, all you need is the 7805, the 1K resistor and the 5K pot (10uF capacitor is nice, the red LED is for show), most warts already have the large capacitor in them, 5V is about as low as you'd ever want to go on a 9V pedal. NB you won't get 24V out, you will get from 5V -> whatever the value of the wart originally was (9V or 12V probably)

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062599

VOLVO)))

I want to put a voltage sag pot on my Tone wicker muff... might sound rad. Easy mod, eh?
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Ayek

Here's an easier one:

http://www.beavisaudio.com/projects/DBS/

The schematic Hemi posted would be especially good if you're using a cheap, unregulated power supply due to the fact that the output voltage will fluctuate depending on the current flow unless it's regulated.

Hemisaurus

Ooh Ayek gave me a sick thought. A light sensitive power supply, one that sags as the lights get brighter, or vice versa. Just a thought.

Schematics shamelessly ripped from elsewhere:

VOLVO)))

I've seen those done before, I really like the idea of optically controlled effects. Hover your foot for a more full sound...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

black_out

Quote from: Ayek on February 17, 2011, 11:30:50 PM
Here's an easier one:

http://www.beavisaudio.com/projects/DBS/

The schematic Hemi posted would be especially good if you're using a cheap, unregulated power supply due to the fact that the output voltage will fluctuate depending on the current flow unless it's regulated.

I'm gonna grab the parts to build this at Radio Shack tomorrow. Priced it out @ about $10 for the two dc jacks, the enclosure, and the pot.
By my side I keep my things that I ne-uh-ed! Rest in peace is gonna set me free!

Ayek

When I eventually get around to building a Big Muff clone I was thinking about chucking one of those rascals in for good measure.

Baltar

Thank you for posting this!
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

peyotepeddler

looks pretty cool, i've seen quite a few newer fuzz pedals that have voltage control, seems the lower the voltage the more gated and velcro/splatty the fuzz becomes

eyeprod

^^ exactly. I've used that circuit with the 10k pot and it's perfect for adding some tonal variation to a big muff. On mine, when turned up to full power it sometimes starts self oscillating. It's a cool effect to have handy when I'm kneeling down and playing with delay... Crank the voltage up and I get a cool holwing tone that's almost like a theremin.  I'm not sure what causes it, but suspect the extra voltage (10k pot=10v rather than 9v of a battery). I sometimes wonder if adding a 12k or so pot would push it more over the edge.
CV - Slender Fungus

peyotepeddler

Quote from: eyeprod on February 20, 2011, 06:08:43 PM
^^ exactly. I've used that circuit with the 10k pot and it's perfect for adding some tonal variation to a big muff. On mine, when turned up to full power it sometimes starts self oscillating. It's a cool effect to have handy when I'm kneeling down and playing with delay... Crank the voltage up and I get a cool holwing tone that's almost like a theremin.  I'm not sure what causes it, but suspect the extra voltage (10k pot=10v rather than 9v of a battery). I sometimes wonder if adding a 12k or so pot would push it more over the edge.

mmmmm theremin, reminds me, i really need to grab a ebow one day

Hemisaurus

Quote from: eyeprod on February 20, 2011, 06:08:43 PM
:'(

VOLVO)))

Dear eyeprod, post links/diagrams of this voltage control.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

eyeprod

it's that exact one that ayek posted. NOTE: but it's only a 10k pot between the input jack and the board. there is no 2nd jack used. it's about as simple as you can imagine.

Not sure why mine feeds back at full power, but it could be something weird going on inside that has nothing to do with that circuit. some feedback loop that is/was unintentional. I'll post my pedal guts when I get a chance. I'm on vacation this week
CV - Slender Fungus