What the hell should I buy, now?

Started by VOLVO))), August 30, 2013, 10:11:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chovie D

well its easy for me to say you shouldnt sell that amp. Im sorry i said that. :-[ i remember (barely) what it was like to be young and struggling to make ends meet. soon i will be old and struggling to make ends meet so, I understand. Its a shame but do whatcha gotta. when your young its kind of good to be free of material possesions anyway...and if cheaper amps suit you,or the music you are playing,  why not? I dont know anything about those amps so ..i will bow out and say good luck from all angles.

VOLVO)))

Oh hey, Thanks, Choves. Monetary value =/= tone. I don't understand that equation in the least. Especially considering Warhorse used Crates, and EHG use solid state Ampegs, Homme uses v4s, etc etc ad infinitum.

I get a little upset when the tone/cash correlation gets made. The Marshall does the tone I want, sometimes. Other times it feels totally alien to me. In doom land, I use pedals. In metal land, I far prefer amp distortion. If I really wanted to get an amp in the same ballpark, I'd be onto a Soldano Avenger for 800$ or so. I just feel like it would be wise to dent my financial burden. The lack of progress is what makes me anxious about it. Seeing the balance only decrease by the minimum each time, and then go back up when I use it for an emergency is pretty demoralizing, to say the least.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Pissy

Quote from: SunnO))) on August 31, 2013, 08:05:20 PM
Yeah? Ive seen amps that drop the grid resistors out of the socket due to overheatinf.

Had a carpeted Carvin XB100 or whatever it's called do that. Heat dissipating resistors that got so hot, they melted the solder.
Vinyls.   deal.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: Pissy on September 01, 2013, 07:52:18 AM
Yeah? Ive seen amps that drop the grid resistors out of the socket due to overheatinf.

Had a carpeted Carvin XB100 or whatever it's called do that. Heat dissipating resistors that got so hot, they melted the solder.

RAGER's Orange did it, too, haha.

Thoae Crate palomino v32s have that 60ohm/10w resistor that melts everything around it. Bad juju.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

taylo)))r

Quote from: SunnO))) on September 01, 2013, 07:54:29 AM
Quote from: Pissy on September 01, 2013, 07:52:18 AM

RAGER's Orange did it, too, haha.

Thoae Crate palomino v32s have that 60ohm/10w resistor that melts everything around it. Bad juju.

Same thing happened to my OR120 once....just got too hot up in, solder melted.

Also, I did what you are thinking of doing Sunn. Got rid of my cherished OR120 and got two, cheaper, yet still kick ass amps. I am glad I did it. I'm much happier with my tone, but my back doesn't thank me at all.
(insert interesting quote)

VOLVO)))

The success story has me rethinking my decision to not do this.

I want one of those twins, Taylor. How do you dig it on a scale of 1-10?

I guess i should be on the lookout for a Sunn T50C to hack up.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Jake

Please don't be flying off the handle at me, but I'm going to to the math real quickly.

+$1000: If'n you get top dolla of around $1200 for your Marshall*, you're looking at maaaaybe $1000 once eBay and PayPal fees kick in.
–$500-600: You're going to have a hard time finding another amp even worth your time/effort for under 5-6 bills. Especially considering your good taste and the brands you've been kicking around.

Now you're left with $500 tops. If you pay all of that towards a $3600 debt, congrats – you've paid down about 14%. Leaving you still carrying 86% of it.

*For the record, I would never pay more than $800 for an 800, and that's totally doable. Paid $620 for my '86 a few years ago.
And here's a version of that pretty rare model selling for only $1400 w/ cabinet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Marshall-JCM800-Limited-Edition-2204-Halfstack-RARE-VINTAGE-GREEN-TOLEX-/161051771951?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item257f6f042f&nma=true&si=CaW5V%252BagoIIpoGDDev2hzCLm7Og%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
poop.

The Bandit

SunnJake don't ebay.  So his pool of potential buyers is gonna be less.

VOLVO)))

Ive got locals hollering at me for 1100$. No ebay or paypal for me. I won't sell i lt unless i get what i want.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

taylo)))r

Quote from: SunnO))) on September 04, 2013, 12:34:37 PM
The success story has me rethinking my decision to not do this.

I want one of those twins, Taylor. How do you dig it on a scale of 1-10?

I guess i should be on the lookout for a Sunn T50C to hack up.

I would give it a 7....I still haven't spent the time to really dialit in because we've just been recording and I finished my guitar tracks a while back (didn't use the twin on the record). I don't dig the open back. I want to close the back up, see if that helps with the sound bleed so to speak. I cut through like never before now, almost too much. We've only played one show with my new setup, and my tone was a little too brittle/treble and the twin was the culprit  It sounds a lot like the reissue sunn, just doesn't have as much growl when cranked and sounds a lot more treble-y. I don't like the OD channel on it. It is a lot more quiet than the first channel.  I wouldn't dig the evil twin all on it's own for my current band, but it really, really compliments the traynor well. So together they are a 9.

But I got it for $450, so I couldn't pass it up!

VOLVO)))

Great!

Honestly, if I get 1100$, im going to throw it all at the card, and start buying/flipping shit again to beat it down even further.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

taylo)))r

Quote from: SunnO))) on September 04, 2013, 03:13:59 PM
Great!

Honestly, if I get 1100$, im going to throw it all at the card, and start buying/flipping shit again to beat it down even further.

I'll record some clips for you if you want sometime soon?

Jake

Quote from: SunnO))) on September 04, 2013, 03:13:59 PM
Great!

Well then this thread should be called, "What the hell stamp should I use on my credit card payment envelope?"
poop.

RacerX

Do whatever the fuck you want to, now.
Livin' The Life.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: Jake on September 04, 2013, 04:21:24 PM
Quote from: SunnO))) on September 04, 2013, 03:13:59 PMGreat!

Well then this thread should be called, "What the hell stamp should I use on my credit card payment envelope?"

Elvis or should I get some of those fancy bird ones? Are there Burt Reynolds stamps yet?

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Jake

If there are not Burt Reynolds stamps soon, the terrorists have already FUCKING won.
poop.

RacerX

Dude, he's selling his JCM 800.

The terrorists have already won.
Livin' The Life.

VOLVO)))

Don't worry, Ill probably just end up buying something similar but with more gain. I wanna run no pedals, and crank.

Also, Suck it, Alan.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

MichaelZodiac

Do they have John Wayne stamps? If so, go with those. You know, to show the terrorists they haven't won yet.

No pedals? Sounds like wishful thinking to me. (says the guy with 4 overdrives/fuzzes on his bass pedalboard) Depends on what you're playing of course.

"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

VOLVO)))

BLAVK MVT4L.

also, starting a grind band.

The 800 feels precious.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Chovie D

$500 is the most Ive ever paid for an amplifier. that was for a 1966 bassman

one of the reasons IM kind fo against selling stuff to pay debt is  from personal experience.
It did not work out well for me, and ive regretted it ever since.

neighbor664

Every stick of gear you own is replaceable. Sentiment and and perceived collectibility will not provide food, shelter and  security for your burgeoning family.
Sell anything and everything you are not using professionally. If you are not making music for a living it is all up for grabs. Any piece of gear that approximates the sound you want will do if it's just for your own entertainment.

Jake

Jesus H. Christ. What the shit is that all about?

I suspect that there are others out there that put more than ZERO monetary value on their own entertainment/gratification. For example, even though I would technically only need water to hydrate, I sometimes drink iced tea. Or even a godamned beer, if I'm inclined.

And in the past, I actually paid someone to put permanent ink decorations on my skin. Even though it cost money and did not provide me with the essential nutrients to live.

Don't even get me started on my shitball action movie DVDs. Believe it or not, I don't even use them to build a hut in which to seek shelter from the elements.

I could go on and on.
poop.

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Jake

I thought Blurays would seem too uppity. And, you know, smaller cases for that Stallone-covered hut.
poop.