$3000 for a 100w Bass head. Fucking Christ...

Started by Discö Rice, February 20, 2011, 06:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Discö Rice

http://www.altomusic.com/shop/Marshall-1992LEM-Lemmy-Kilmister-100-Watt-Super-Bass-Head_pid106112.am

I understand it's a signature head, but what the fuck? If someone would make a 300w all tube version of this, I'd be interested, but it would have to be at least $1500 cheaper.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

hayseed

I thought that Lemmy's signature head was all tube?
http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=1992LEM

I have seen them usually go for around $1200-$1400ish if i remember correctly. Can't say that i have ever seen one go for $3000. I would love to have the Murder One fullstack....dear god....crushing.....
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

Instant Dan

Why not just buy an original superbass head at that point? They're practically the same price.

Discö Rice

Quote from: Instant Dan on February 20, 2011, 07:29:25 PM
Why not just buy an original superbass head at that point? They're practically the same price.
They are apparently modded to sound like Lemmy, and his is about the only signature head I'd ever buy. Also, I went on Marshall's site and listened to the Mode Four... Yikes. Holy shit that sounds bad... Is that just the way they had the eq set, or do they really sound like that?

hayseed

Quote from: Instant Dan on February 20, 2011, 07:29:25 PM

Because that doesn't say Murder One or Lemmy for Christ's sakes! Seriously....look at the thing.....

(Back to reality...) It is a bit over priced as are most signature lines of gear. Christ have you guys scene the price tag on Slash's AFD100?
Its a collectors piece. Something to set up in the jam room of your mansion. These are what you buy when you have $2000 in your pocket at all times and a huge bank account and nothing better to do with it.
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

Discö Rice

I wonder how a Ric or a T-40 would sound through a Red Bear mk120...

Hemisaurus

Figure the Weber kit is $625, you could buy 4 of them, like Lemmy typically runs, and still come out cheaper.

It does raise the interesting point, that the number of speakers you use has a lot to do with how loud your system is, Lem runs a 4x15 and a 4x12 from every 100W head, if you have ever heard just the stage volume of a Motorhead show, it's pretty insane.

I don't think a Mesa Boogie 400+ through a couple of 8x10's could approach anywhere near the volume, nor do I think just making a 300W Marshall would make it better, just a single 100W stack of Lemmy's is louder than your average Ampeg SVT 8x10 rig.

But yeah, save your pennies, use a guitar head that allows a lot of low end, and add a 4x15 under your 4x12 and you'll robably feel a lot happier.

I believe the Lemmy mod is to use the cap values for the superbass, to allow the low end through, but to retain the extra gain stage of the superlead, check schematic heaven and you'll see what I mean.

Instant Dan

I never really thought about it till now but Al Cisneros for Sleep and for the first three Om albums had almost the same exact speaker configuration as Lemmy. :P

Jake

Since donating to religious organizations can be tax deductible, and since Lemmy = God, the tax offset might make the sticker price a bit more palatable.
poop.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: Discö Rice on February 20, 2011, 07:38:22 PM
I went on Marshall's site and listened to the Mode Four... Yikes. Holy shit that sounds bad... Is that just the way they had the eq set, or do they really sound like that?
Every amp since the JCM800 has been fitted with what Marshall term active tone controls the upshot being that every so-called tube amp is packed with little op-amps, and they are doing all the sound colouration and the tubes are doing naff-all, well OK not naff-all, but they don't comprise the sounds main tone.

I have yet to see one of the later ones the post Mode 4, vintage moderns, perhaps Marshall have finally dumped the active tone for a traditional passive tone stack in some of them.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: Instant Dan on February 20, 2011, 11:10:56 PM
I never really thought about it till now but Al Cisneros for Sleep and for the first three Om albums had almost the same exact speaker configuration as Lemmy. :P

I thought all those cabs were just loaded with 12's? What was in 'em?

Discö Rice

In all my gear hungry misadventures, I have seen exactly one 4x15 cabinet. It was an old marshall, and it was $1600. :(

Instant Dan

Quote from: Hemisaurus on February 21, 2011, 01:11:13 PM
Quote from: Instant Dan on February 20, 2011, 11:10:56 PM

I thought all those cabs were just loaded with 12's? What was in 'em?

Lemmy runs two 4x15's and two 4x12's
Al runs (or ran) two 4x15's and two 4x12's and an isolation cabinet.

Hemisaurus

Lemmy runs 2 4x12 and 2 4x15 either side of the stage, there's two stacks of his on Phil's side as well.

Like I said he runs 4 100W full stacks, each stack is a 4x12 on top and a 4x15 on the bottom.

hayseed

Quote from: Hemisaurus on February 21, 2011, 01:53:57 PM
Lemmy runs 2 4x12 and 2 4x15 either side of the stage, there's two stacks of his on Phil's side as well.

Like I said he runs 4 100W full stacks, each stack is a 4x12 on top and a 4x15 on the bottom.

^^^And that is why he is GOD!  BTW- The new Motorhead album is very good. Some of it has a Fast Eddie/ Philthy Animal era sound.  

I have never seen a price quote on his whole rig(head +2 cabs). I would love to know that if anyone has an idea. I would have to sell one of my kids to get one most likely. Actually probably have to sell both kids...

hayseed

Quote from: Hemisaurus on February 21, 2011, 05:29:24 PM
$26,000 should cover it.

You need two 1992LEM stacks and two SuperBass stacks.

http://www.ballewsmusic.com/Marshall-Lemmy-Signature-Bass-Stack-p/marshalllemmy.htm

Hemi - I am saying just 1 stack. Head + 4x12 + 4x15. I am assuming the cabs are signature too. I couldnt get the link to open.

hayseed

Quote from: Hemisaurus on February 21, 2011, 06:29:32 PM
Works from here, it's $6499 for one stack.

I am gonna turn the lights down low, play the Ace of Spades acoustic version at a soothing volume and spend some quality time with that picture......sorry guys, I think that is the coolest looking amp i have ever seen. Motorhead was on Conan a few weeks ago and that amp just dwarfed Lemmy and was barely at eye level to Conan(who is like 6'5"). $6500 is a about $6000 out of my price range though.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: Instant Dan on February 21, 2011, 01:29:35 PM
Al runs (or ran) two 4x15's and two 4x12's and an isolation cabinet.

I think Al also runs KT-88 quads which I'd say are nearer 200W per amp than 100W

Note the offset 15's to make the cabs the same width as a 4x12.

Either way 4x15 cabs are way too much for one person to manage on their own.

Instant Dan

Not to be OT; I wonder why AL stopped using them? Weight of transporting them? Falling out with Joel? Wanting to try new sounds.

Metal and Beer

I think Al's been renting/borrowing gear in recent years for the away-from-home shows; he may have all that stuff still..
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

tomz.

motorcycles, rock n roll, and beer, not necessarily in that order.

mortlock

thats an amazing set up..but i can see how you would get sick of carting that around..