Main Menu

Ampeg SVT 410 cabs

Started by hayseed, February 22, 2011, 10:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hayseed

A local music store has a huge March Madness sale (Pianos N Stuff, Pittsburgh, PA) every year. I was trolling trough the ad and they are selling SVT 4 Pro heads for $379 and SVT410HE cabs for $179. I think this is a pretty screaming deal. I checked out some reviews of the head and they seemed great. Same with the cabs.

I am gonna check out the head this week before the sale to see if i like it.I like that it has a 9 band EQ and a tube preamp. My Sunn Coli 300 has a 7 band EQ and I can really dial in the low end with the highs.
My question is: Would using 2 of the SVT410HE cabs sound as good as a 810 "fridge"? Would there be much of a difference or would it be night and day? It seems to me that obviously it would easier to haul as it breaks in half unlike an 8x10 and the cabs are supposedly made for that reason. Any insight?

The way i see it , getting a decent new Ampeg rig for under $800 is a pretty good deal either way!
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

mortlock

years ago i picked up a used ampeg 410 for $200..best cab ive ever owned. its an older one that has the wheel slots on the top of the cab to fit another cab on it with casters..it was beat to fuck when i got it..but it sounds amazing and has never let me down..

peyotepeddler

i would imagine 2 of those cabs would get the same sound, should have the same speakers, the only question is if cabinet volume(internal size) is the same

zachoff

The 410HE is as close as you'll get to the 810E but it has a horn so make sure you turn it off.  :D  Kidding, kinda.  If you like it you can dial it in but most folks I know don't use it.  The 410HLF and the 610HLF sound nothing like the 810 though.

The 4 Pro is tube pre solid state power.  It'll sound good and that is a screaming deal on one but it won't sound SVT/V4 good if that's your benchmark.

Discö Rice

I have to get in on that! Somebody fucking employ me already!
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

hayseed

I guess it would kind of depend how the cabs were build inside. For example, Are the speakers sealed off individually or in pairs in the 8x10 and is it the same in the 4x10?  Is the build the same on the cabs? And of course assuming the speakers are the same as well.I am not too sure on that. Also, anybody know if that head is being discontinued?

. I would like to check it out the SVT 4 head with my 2x15 Sunn cab and 2x15 Fender Bassman cab too but i am not sure that i would want to transport all of that into the  store just try it out. I am curious to hear how the SVT4 sounds against my Sunn Coli 300 though.
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

Discö Rice

I seriously doubt the SVT-4 Pro is being discontinued. That amp kills. It has all kinds of EQ control, and lots of power. A guy I used to play with ran it through an 8x10 and a 1x18, and it sounded HUGE. I believe it will power four of those 4x10 cabs. Throw a good dirt pedal in there and prepare to be amazed.

Discö Rice

Just out of curiosity, Are you sure it's the hybrid SVT-4 Pro, or is it the vastly inferior SVT 450 ? I'm on their website right now and it still lists the 4pro at $1319, which ain't a bargain.

hayseed

They don't have the sale prices listed on the website. It is a SVT4 Pro (1600 watt bass head) according to the mailer.

Discö Rice

Quote from: hayseed on February 23, 2011, 02:01:23 PM
They don't have the sale prices listed on the website. It is a SVT4 Pro (1600 watt bass head) according to the mailer.
Damn. hehe.

bass sic

Shit, buy ten of them 4pros. You will make a killing when the sale is over. I have an older one and it fuckin kills, but it weighs a ton. Ive run it through a 8x10 and thats when you really notice the power. Plus I guess if you use a speakon connector you'll get full power and start disintegrating bystanders.

hayseed

This is a deal that seems to good to be true! In the ad beside the sale price is a the "REG PRICE: $1959.00" for the head and "REG PRICE:$909.00" for the cabs. I have a gut feeling the head is misprint. I emailed them today to see if i can do a layaway with the sale prices so that i can pick up 2 4x10's and a head.

There is a listing for a JCM 2000 DSL100 for $499.00 new as well! That is another good deal.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: hayseed on February 23, 2011, 05:11:26 PM
This is a deal that seems to good to be true! In the ad beside the sale price is a the "REG PRICE: $1959.00" for the head and "REG PRICE:$909.00" for the cabs. I have a gut feeling the head is misprint. I emailed them today to see if i can do a layaway with the sale prices so that i can pick up 2 4x10's and a head.

There is a listing for a JCM 2000 DSL100 for $499.00 new as well! That is another good deal.

Marshall prices are rock bottom, for some reason. I'm seeing those reverb 900 heads going for 450 and shit. What's the deal? Over-saturated market?
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

hayseed

OK...I just got a call back from the store and basically i got fooled by the flyer. All of these things i listed (SVT4, cab, JCM2000) are in the "bargain Basement" AKA: USED SHIT! First come first serve. Still good prices for the used gear though. I am still aiming for the SVT4 Pro head but i have to get there first thing in the morning.