Soup

Started by Volume, February 01, 2012, 02:40:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

Soup goes in a bowl.  it may have a wide rim but it's a bowl.
No Focus Pocus

Demon Lung

I just had some of the best chili that I've ever had

demon gal

Quote from: RAGER on February 07, 2012, 01:55:19 PM
Soup goes in a bowl.  it may have a wide rim but it's a bowl.

Not mine. I use soup plates, it's how I was raised.

RAGER

Do you eat soup with a soup knife too?
No Focus Pocus

demon gal

No, I use a soup spoon to eat my soup from my soup plate. I use my dinner fork to eat my dinner off of my dinner plate. I use my salad fork to eat my salad off of my salad plate. I use my dessert fork to eat my dessert off of my dessert plate.

Bowls are multifunctional and this is life as I know it.

MadJohnShaft

I use those porcelain Japanese restaurant spoons with soup.  That shit works.

The pressure cooker lets you make vegetable soup in 15 minutes that is always killer, you caan even start with dried beans, Julia's favorite.

Good way to empty out the fridge and stay on top of the mass of vegetables.  Only homemade stock.

Plus that fucker makes some stock like nothing. I'm almost out of turkey stock and need to make more chicken stock.  I got bags of chicken and beef bones in the freezer ready to go.
Some days chickens, some days feathers

MadJohnShaft

I did pressure cooker stock, I had so many chicken bones that I couldn't fit bones + veggies in the pressure cooker so I did the bones alone. 

About 45 minutes and the bones were bendable already, so apparently it works.  That takes half a day on stove top.

I dumped that bone mess plus carrots, celery etc into a bigger pot to add much more water and did that another hour. Turned out fantastic and jellied up like you wouldn't believe.

Some days chickens, some days feathers

RAGER

Today I made dill  pickle soup.  I puree'd it so it came out like a velvety vichyssoise.  very nice.
No Focus Pocus

demon gal

You puree'd it into baby food? Oh GOD NOOOOOOOOO! You ruined my favorite soup, I'm going to cry.  :'(  

Did you pure the potatoes and the beef ribs and everything? The best part is getting that chunk of potato or a big piece of beef or carrot. 

RAGER

I didn't put any beef in it and yes I pureed the whole thing.  My girl thought it would be chunkier too.  next time I'll do it this way.  I didn't come across a recipe with beef.  That would be good though.  Same flavors as a rouladen.
No Focus Pocus

Jor el

Quote from: demon gal on February 07, 2012, 08:49:33 PM

I use a soup spoon to eat my soup from my soup plate. I use my dinner fork to eat my dinner off of my dinner plate. I use my salad fork to eat my salad off of my salad plate. I use my dessert fork to eat my dessert off of my dessert plate.

What do you drink pudding from?    :P
What Would Scooby Do ?

demon gal

You ain't never heard of Puddin Cups?

Lumpy

What about using a traditional pudding plate?
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

demon gal

I don't drink PUDDING dammit!  >:(

demon gal

RAGER if you're at all interested I have some cook books that have been passed down through my family for generations.

I can dig them up and see if there is a real old world pickle soup recipe in there. You might have to do your own measuring as these books are so old some of the measures are in pinches and fistfuls and bushels and whatnot. But it's soup so how exact do you have to be as long as you have the right ingredients, right?   

RAGER

i would love to see them for historic reasons but I get the gist from what I've read. i did come across some recipes with sausage so I know what to do but if you feel so inclined.... :)
No Focus Pocus

demon gal

Bought me a big fat yellow roaster, made delicious chicken soup this weekend. Now I have some broth and consommé in the freezer for further soup adventures.

Lumpy

Do these old world recipes have instructions like "Throw a pinch of salt over your shoulder, then spit on the ground. Stamp your feet three times. Reduce heat to a simmer"? ???

I would like to see an old world soup recipe, if there is an unusual one that doesn't require a lot of complicated typing?

Or poached squirrel or whatever You People used to eat.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

mortlock

what would be so wrong with squirrel soup..id try it..put hotsauce on it if you have to.

RAGER

I've been eyeballing the squirrels out back after coming across this website/blog

http://honest-food.net/
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Caldo de albondigas

No Focus Pocus

mertz

I need your recipe. Yours Mexican food is basically the more sophisticated version of mine.

bitter

Hoping I didn't skip over this on the 1st page, but has anyone ever had legitimate Ramen dishes? I've never had restaurant quality and wonder if I should attempt it at home from scratch/semi-scratch with real meats and veggies?

This looks absolutely delicious...

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

RAGER

Sometimes I have real ramen for breakfast.  Next time I'll try and post a pic.  soup for bfast is good
No Focus Pocus

bitter

You making this yourself? If so, how's the sodium content?
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan