Black Pyramid - Stormbringer 8"

Started by Eyehatehippies, May 18, 2011, 08:43:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eyehatehippies

http://www.brokenbeard.com/black-pyramid-stormbringer-ep/

Black Pyramid
Stormbringer EP
Hydro-Phonic Records

Black Pyramid's 2009 self-titled full-length debut was nothing short of devastating, and I mean that in the best way possible, of course. It's a festering slab of warmongering fuzz often compared to a maligned mix of Black Sabbath, Sleep, and High on Fire, and it's as close as you'll get to a modern day doom classic, if such a thing exists. Well, the Massachusetts trio is back (on their own after a few splits) with two new songs, side A's "Stormbringer" (not a Deep Purple cover) and side B's "Cloud of Unknowing," and both remain true to Black Pyramid's rotting character but offer some subtle twists that hint at an evolving metal sound; "Stormbringer," for instance, rides into battle at a Sword-like tempo and contains a mid-song breakdown reminiscent of Metallica's "Orion" or "The Call of Ktulu" while "Cloud of Unknowing" opens in a more haunting, melodic death fashion akin to Swallow the Sun before it converts to crushing. If you're not into Black Pyramid yet, now is the time. Guitarist/vocalist Andy Beresky is quickly emerging as one of my favourite in the genre, and assuming they haven't sold out, this 7? has an amazing die-cut cover and is available in both a standard and deluxe edition.*

*I was lucky enough to snag one of the 100 deluxe editions before they sold out. It came with glow-in-the-dark vinyl and a CD containing six songs (the two from this EP, three from Black Pyramid's 2007 demo, and the vinyl-only track, "Macedonia," from the self-titled full-length). To the best of my knowledge, though, the standard edition is still available.

I was here, but I disappare.

VOLVO)))

Please tell me you didn't write this yourself... hahaha
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Eyehatehippies

Quote from: SunnO))) on May 19, 2011, 12:18:28 PM
Please tell me you didn't write this yourself... hahaha

Last time I checked, I don't write for the Broken Beard blog.

My blog is called The Crawling Chaos Collective.  There are no reviews of my own work on there, sorry.

VOLVO)))

Sorry I don't keep up with your every move :D
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Eyehatehippies

Quote from: SunnO))) on May 19, 2011, 10:40:17 PM
Sorry I don't keep up with your every move :D

It's cool, I don't either, I usually have to be at least 10 steps ahead of myself, and five years ahead of my time ;)

Niko

great album with some really cool artwork. recommend this to anyone.

CanookieWookie

The cd is pretty damn good. I anxiously await the new album.