List your favorite Westerns here!

Started by Ranbat, July 22, 2012, 08:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranbat

I've kinda been on a Western kick lately and I'm just wondering about the newer Westerns as well as older ones I may have forgotten/missed. Go!
Meh :/

boltthrow

Lumpy

I loved the remake of True Grit with Jeff Bridges.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Demon Lung

amadkins

Unforgiven gets my vote for best ever.

Sundholm

Unforgiven is pretty close to perfect in the genre.  Other "newer" Westerns that I dig are Open Range and Appaloosa.

I also like my Westerns with a heavy dose of "weird" so I have to add Dead Man, The Burrowers, and Ravenous.

johnny problem

deleted account

vinyldinosaurus

Ranbat

Quote from: Lumpy on July 23, 2012, 08:44:04 AM

I've thought about giving this one a chance, even though I consider the John Wayne version holy.

Ranbat

Quote from: Demon Lung on July 23, 2012, 09:31:57 AM
Wild wild west

Are you talking about the Will Smith one? That thing was wretched  :(

Ranbat

The Shocker

1. Outlaw Josey Wales
2. McCabe & Mrs. Miller
3. Little Big Man
4. Jeremiah Johnson
5. Shane
6. The Long Riders
7. High Plains Drifter
8. The Good, The Bad & The Ugly
9. The Missouri Breaks
10. Unforgiven

Honorable Mention: Goin' South

In the list above, only the first 2 are in order.

Lumpy

Quote from: Ranbat on July 23, 2012, 06:48:16 PM

I've thought about giving this one a chance, even though I consider the John Wayne version holy.

Is it controversial to say that John Wayne is a fucking terrible actor, compared to Jeff Bridges? What are you waiting for, the new version is true to the book and has great performances. The worst actor in the movie is Matt Damon, the cast is stellar. Directed by the Coen Brothers. What else do you want?

Lumpy

The Unforgiven is seriously overrated.

I,Galactus

Quote from: Ranbat on July 23, 2012, 06:51:06 PM
How's 3:10 to Yuma?

New one's good, if a little scattershot.  Old one's hokey (IMO).
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

Sundholm

I think you have Eastwood guys and Wayne guys. I fucking hate John Wayne.  My only complaint with the Coens' version is that they included all of Rooster's drunken rambling from Portis's novel, but it was unintelligible.  That shit is hilarious.

Sundholm

Quote from: I,Galactus on July 23, 2012, 08:46:55 PM
Quote from: Ranbat on July 23, 2012, 06:51:06 PM
How's 3:10 to Yuma?

New one's good, if a little scattershot.  Old one's hokey (IMO).

Everything was hokey in 1957.  You leave Pa Kent alone!

Ranbat

Quote from: Lumpy on July 23, 2012, 08:03:25 PM
Quote from: Ranbat on July 23, 2012, 06:48:16 PM

Is it controversial to say that John Wayne is a fucking terrible actor, compared to Jeff Bridges? What are you waiting for, the new version is true to the book and has great performances. The worst actor in the movie is Matt Damon, the cast is stellar. Directed by the Coen Brothers. What else do you want?

No, really, you're spot on. It's more about being raised on John Wayne movies. Most of his movies I can't stand except for a few of his Westerns.

gritty_fingers

Quote from: boltthrow on July 23, 2012, 08:04:36 AM
Wild Bunch.

I have to agree with Bolt. That's my favorite western of all time. My 2nd favorite has to be High Noon with Gary Cooper.

I also like Destry Rides Again with Jimmy Stewart and Marlene Dietrich (Not sure if I spelled that correctly). Also the Searchers with John Wayne. Another movie - although not a traditional Western - is the Ox-Bow incident with Henry Fonda. I paticularly liked that film too.
"Ginger People"

I,Galactus

Quote from: Sundholm on July 23, 2012, 09:26:56 PM
Everything was hokey in 1957.  You leave Pa Kent alone!

Pa Kent's well and good.  It's Frankie Lane that prevents me from keeping a straight face.

"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

lftwng4

I'm partial to the Spaghetti Westerns only.
The Sergio Leone/Clint Eastwood trilogy is brilliant, as is Once Upon a Time in the West.

Also dig the Sartana and Django series(along with their countless knockoffs) and the Terrance Hill/Bud Spencer team-ups aren't too bad for comedy.
Hell, I love all the Spaghetti Westerns, they have a certain style that I dig.

GodShifter

Yeah, for me it's 'The Wild Bunch' as well, followed by 'The Long Riders' and 'The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly'.

For newer stuff, I thought 'Open Range' was pretty good.

Put me down for thinking John Wayne is a terrible actor and his movies are awful. Sorry. Eastwood's stuff is good, but there's always a touch of bullshit in every one of his movies.

'Missouri Breaks' is up there for me. I like it.

whoshotthefrog

If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

http://whoshotthefrog.tumblr.com/

http://www.instagram.com/whoshotthefrog/

GodShifter

'Appaloosa' with Ed Harris was good. Also, one of my favorites, which I forgot to mention, is 'The Proposition' which, while set in Australia, is very much a 'western' by definition.