Top of The Lake starts tonight

Started by MadJohnShaft, March 18, 2013, 08:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadJohnShaft

7 part on sun dance, crime drama

Elizabeth Moss (Mad Men) is the lead...

A detective investigates the disappearance of a 12-year-old pregnant daughter of a local drug lord.

Some days chickens, some days feathers

jmucke

High on my list. But the only download I could find is some network version with pixeled nudity and bleeped cursing. Stopped after ten minutes but those looked very promising.

The Bandit

Wait, there was nudity?  Is it being re-shown?

MadJohnShaft

I think it might be re-shown on the 21st and 24th, it was two episode premier so next Monday is Ep #3.

The Bandit

Will set the DVR this evening.

Also, why do all the good shows come on at the same time and the same days?  My DVR can only record 3 HD channels at a time. 

MadJohnShaft

Hells yeah - Comcast only does two at once, and you have to be watching one of them. If you leave it on a 3rd channel it skips the recording or otherwise throws up a confusing message that results in missing on recording when you push OK.

The fuckers.

The Bandit

I can record 3 HD and watch on SD at the same time, but who wants to watch fucking SD?  Still liking Uverse better than Comcast.

EaterofBirds

The premiere was fantastic. Just a shame couldn't get it (Sundance) in HD on my carrier. Least they went widescreen with it. An emotional tour-de-force, imo. Questioning ethics and police work in a far off country, this one excels where that waste of time, The Killing failed. Where The Killing turned into a board game of Clue, this one has the strength of a killer developing back story/writing, strong female lead and an interesting group of characters. I think, just a hunch, we're in for a wild ride, as I think "Paradise" comes more into play than first revealed.

I just wish I could experience this on my HD television like it should be seen, as the scenery and filming looks to be incredible.

The Bandit

Just checked and I don't get Sundance in HD either.  BOO!  Why is this still happening in 2013? 

EaterofBirds

I will finish it on the regular channel and probably torrent a HD version it if it turns into a keeper of a series/movie it seems it will be

The Shocker

Watched the first episode. Totally hooked, Jesus this show is brilliant.

MadJohnShaft

On demand has the HD versions if you don't have AMC an HD channel

The Holly Hunter character doesn't really work.

The Shocker

You watch the third episode yet Shaft?

EaterofBirds

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on March 30, 2013, 03:04:09 PM
The Holly Hunter character doesn't really work.

I agree. Not sure how this group of damaged women fits in, but I guess this is why we watch. Not much of a reach to say there is probably more coming/relevance with this "paradise" community than first revealed

The Bandit

Wow, that last episode got uncomfortable quick.

GodShifter

I'm enjoying this series so far, but I'm having trouble keeping up with where I am in the series in terms of what's been shown so far. I finished watching the 4th episode. Is that the most recent one?

The Shocker

GodShifter

Thank you. A smite for your brevity with a bro, however!

The Shocker

Smite away brother, I care not.  Was busy with the boy at the time.

So do you think Tui is dead or alive?  I tend to think she is alive, but who knows?  Every fucking man on this show is shady.

GodShifter

I think she's dead most probably. But who knows? Maybe the Paradise women have her hidden away, or maybe she's being held prisoner somewhere. Good point about all the men being of less than upright status in this one. I hadn't really thought about that before.

Peter Mullan is good in this. I haven't seen him in much before this ("Session 9" and "Warhorse"), but he's always impressed with his acting.

The Shocker

Is he Tui's dad?  Yeah, he's good.  You should check out Red Riding Trilogy - he's in it.

What if they don't find Tui at all?  Not sure the show will go that far, but that shit happens every day in real life.

GodShifter

Yeah, he's Tui's dad. I loved the scene where he drove through the gate with the woman attempting to climb over it. That was pretty great.

Damn, I wish this board had the "spoiler" button still available because I'd like to discuss some of my theories, but I think it'd ruin the show for people  :-\

The Shocker

All four of us?  I don't have a problem with theories (or spoilers for that matter), but I'm not the thread starter.

retardgroove

I've been watching it also, spill your theories.

chille01

I've been watching it BECAUSE of this thread.  I dig it.  Interesting about the possibility of her never being found, though I doubt they'll do that.  People expect some manner of an ending to their TV, so it would take some balls to just leave it unanswered.  Who knows, maybe.