Top of The Lake starts tonight

Started by MadJohnShaft, March 18, 2013, 08:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadJohnShaft

Spoil away.

I'm too episodes behind, so I can watch the HD version when it shows up
Some days chickens, some days feathers

The Bandit

Having theories about a show aren't really spoilers anyway, unless someone has inside knowledge.

RAGER

I think Tui's still alive some place.  And all the men are super chauvinistic.
No Focus Pocus

EaterofBirds

Jane Campion is the real deal, so I wouldn't expect anything but the best in finishing this off proper. Now, when I first heard about this premiering at Sundance, supposedly now, people walked out "stunned" at the conclusion. A lot of buzz came out of the fest about this one, so was stoked to see it hit the Channel that quickly.

This and BBC's In the Flesh are pwning it for me the last month..that and The Americans, but much slower developing story there.

Holly Hunter's role hasnt really come to light yet, so hoping for more development next week or so..this thing is almost over, which kind of blows.

The Bandit

I wish it was a regular series.  Some really good characters.

The Bandit

Well well well, somebody is still alive...

GodShifter

Lots of nudity in this one (good & bad), I might add.

Interesting turn of events in this episode as we find that Tui is, at the moment, anyway, still alive. 5 episodes in and I still don't see the real relevance of the Paradise women's retreat.

Still seems to me like Johnno might have had more to do with Robin's rape than he's letting on ... we'll see.

MadJohnShaft

Yeah, this wraps up with two one hour episodes next time and the women's cult is still a mystery

(Then everyone can switch to watching the awesome Orphan Black)

retardgroove

Dug the ending. Good shit.

edit: my Sundance on demand HD crap said the 1st three of Rectify is up.

GodShifter

Good but not great ending, imo. Perhaps I'm just the type that needs things wrapped up in a nice little package to satisfy my desire for resolution.

I didn't see the twist at the end, though. The whole Paradise thing never did seem to have much relevance, though. The whole GJ character never really worked. Seemed forced and unfocused.

The Bandit

Yeah, some stuff worked & some stuff didn't, but still a thousand times better than The Killing (which I watched despite its terribleness).

jmucke

Agreed on Paradise and Holly Hunters character never really becoming part of the story. But for the rest, really good. Dug the atmosphere and the characters more than the actual story. And Peter Mullan...holy shit. I'm more familiar with his roles in British movies ("Boy A", "My Name Is Joe") and seeing him turn total psycho Frank-Booth-style was really something. Kudos to Elizabeth Moss too. Forgot about Peggy Olson after 15 minutes.

MadJohnShaft

Looks like Netflix has whole thing.

strangelight

i liked this a lot. the ending seemed a bit far-fetched at first, but then i realized there were tons of red flags all along.

and what a beautiful place that i would never want to fucking live in.

ez

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?