Iron Man III

Started by SabbathJeff, May 04, 2013, 09:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SabbathJeff

Better than I, not as good as II, but Ben Kingsley stole this show with his incredibly odd role.  Didn't he shoot that guy though?  What the hell happened with that?
Burn Everything Ash

Cinders Smolder Life

Fresh Crop Harvest

Eat. Sleep. Stonerrock.

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

Jor el

Doesn't his Lab get blowed up every movie?
What Would Scooby Do ?

strangelight

i'd say I, III, II. i thought iron man 2 sucked.

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

SabbathJeff

I actually got those mixed up.

I did like 1 best, then 3, then 2.

This was fun enough, i just thought the real villian/s were sorta boring.  Oooooooo look out I can make my core temperature go up a 1000 degrees i'm special.  Fuck you asshole.  No one gives a shit.  This would have been way cooler with real rock lava guys, not this human looking puny shit you can just punch through the chest and kill.

/Whatever, i didn't buy the ticket.
Burn Everything Ash

Cinders Smolder Life

Fresh Crop Harvest

Eat. Sleep. Stonerrock.

strangelight

yeah i saw three. crappy digicam copy online. maybe in the theater it was better. i just think the first iron man had something special and charming about it that's hard to replicate. even though jeff bridges kinda sucked as the villain (and i love jeff bridges).

Lumpy

The review headline I saw was "Shtick and Explosions" which doesn't bode well. I'll still go see it, because I liked the previous two.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

retardgroove

I must be missing something cause I thought the 1st one was watchable, couldn't even finish the 2nd, and was bored to death watching the Avengers.

MadJohnShaft

Saw it last night on the humongous XD 3D screen.  Awesome.

Rebecca Hall's in it.
Some days chickens, some days feathers

The Shocker

But so is Goopy.  She's the worst.

Lumpy

Quote from: retardgroove on May 05, 2013, 01:22:59 AM
I must be missing something cause I thought the 1st one was watchable, couldn't even finish the 2nd, and was bored to death watching the Avengers.

The Avengers was pretty terrible. Almost all of the superhero movies are terrible, so when there's a halfway decent one, people get excited.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

strangelight

i still think the latest batmans were good. not perfect by any means, but the tone was right on.

I,Galactus

Quote from: SabbathJeff on May 04, 2013, 09:42:37 PM
Better than I, not as good as II, but Ben Kingsley stole this show with his incredibly odd role.  Didn't he shoot that guy though?  What the hell happened with that?

Trevor said they don't even give him real guns.  Oil accountant was partying with complimentary drugs and hookers when Tony invaded the house, home depot style.

Huge fucking  :D in my theater when Tony called that kid a pussy.  Best usage of a single hard profanity within MPAA PG-13 guidelines.

Dug this on two levels:  First as a fun, functional end cap to a cohesive Marvel superhero trilogy, and secondly as a Best of Shane Black album featuring all your favorite hits:

• RDJ voiceover
  • Christmastime
  • A black and white guy with a "buddy cop" relationship.
  • A mystery That Goes Right To The Top, an Attack on One Of Their Own, and This Time It's Personal.
  • Bedroom windows attack choppers
  • An oily, rich, suit-wearing adversary.
  • A bad guy, "Scarface"-style mansion in a beach setting guarded by hired goons.
  • Final showdown at the docks.

I was just waiting for Cheadle to say he was too old for this shit!  :D

Quote from: Lumpy on May 05, 2013, 09:56:35 PM
Quote from: retardgroove on May 05, 2013, 01:22:59 AM

The Avengers was pretty terrible. Almost all of the superhero movies are terrible, so when there's a halfway decent one, people get excited.

"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

mortlock

I gave it a 3 out of 5 stars..and that only because we weren't using decimals, otherwise it would have been a 2.5 out of 5 stars..

MadJohnShaft

5 because Rebecca Hall's in it...
Some days chickens, some days feathers

gritty_fingers

I like all three Iron Man movies but 3 was my least favorite.

It seemed more like a James Bond movie at times (especially the scene when Tony Stark enters the mansion). There were some weird tonal shifts in the plot which I didn't care for.

But it was a good popcorn flick overall.
"Ginger People"

Marcos Reino

Least favorite. I was totally looking forward to seeing Kingsley unravel as an awesome Mandarin, which is a big, big character as far as comic characters can go... that and the ending were truly disappointing. Kingsley was cool as always, but I thought it was a bad idea.  

MichaelZodiac

This was kinda disappointing.. I liked the first 2 and even Thor and The Avengers (decent popcorn flicks) but this one was not up to snuff. Still, every time I see one of these I think "That could have been so much worse".
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

ez

fuck what they did to the Mandarin. what a way to treat one of the best comic book villains ever.

3/10 just because of that.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

GodShifter

I saw it yesterday as a matinee.

I thought it totally sucked. The Mandarin angle, while admittedly clever and unexpected, was so irreverent to the comic book character that it wound up being insulting, frankly. The rest was too much Tony Stark and too little Iron Man, but when you're paying Downey Jr. 50 million, or whatever the ridiculous amount of money he's making for this film, I guess you want as much screen time for him sans the suit as possible. The whole PTSD thing with
'New York' in terms of connecting this movie with "The Avengers" from last summer seemed trite, too. This guy is a super hero and he's having nightmares from that? Why? Nothing that traumatic happened to Stark, or better said, nothing worse than anything he's dealt with in his own movies, in terms of trauma/danger, etc. Seemed like a weak tie in.

I totally hated the little kid genius angle. It was hackneyed and too sugary sweet.

Dumb movie.

Marcos Reino

Quote from: ez on May 13, 2013, 04:50:11 AM
fuck what they did to the Mandarin. what a way to treat one of the best comic book villains ever.

3/10 just because of that.

exactly

I,Galactus

I'll grant you guys your righteous indignation as fans of the source material, since I'm still pissed at those damned x-men movies for arbitrarily shitting all over some of my favorite characters and canon.

And now they're merging the superior (though still somewhat flawed) First Class flick with the Singer movies via some bastardization of Days of Future Past.   >:(
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

Marcos Reino

Quote from: GodShifter on May 13, 2013, 09:52:14 AM
I saw it yesterday as a matinee.

I thought it totally sucked. The Mandarin angle, while admittedly clever and unexpected, was so irreverent to the comic book character that it wound up being insulting, frankly.

^ this.

The Mandarin character has been through several incarnations, I think he even was Genghis Khan at some point. And he has interesting political / ideological dialogue, very much on the evil side of the comic book political spectrum. What they did... c'mon... funny yeah, but what a waste, there was a crap load of material to dig into there... and they chose fire guys. Nah.

ez

Quote from: I,Galactus on May 13, 2013, 10:30:40 AM
And now they're merging the superior (though still somewhat flawed) First Class flick with the Singer movies via some bastardization of Days of Future Past.   >:(

Yeah, I don't really have high hopes of that being any good.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?