is gravity any good

Started by mortlock, October 05, 2013, 01:25:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boltthrow

Well put.  And still with those moments of goofiness, it's spectacular.  Not to mention she looked great in those boy shorts.  I would like to help her attempt reentry.

strangelight

i know, right! she looked like she could crack a walnut with her thighs.

JkFlesh

Quote from: boltthrow on October 14, 2013, 12:08:47 PM
Well put.  And still with those moments of goofiness, it's spectacular.  Not to mention she looked great in those boy shorts.  I would like to help her attempt reentry.

I agree with all that.

juggernaut

Quote from: boltthrow on October 14, 2013, 09:39:35 AM
Exactly!  If they'd just adjusted the dialogue a tad it wouldn't sound like they'd just met for the first time. 

Yeah he was and he hasn't seen it and at moments I thought he absolutely should but there were other moments when I thought it might actually be disturbing given that some of these things might be personal nightmares of his.  Like in the initial debris hit, when the shuttle spun away with half its wing missing or when she landed and was floating and saw debris arc across the sky which was very reminiscent of when Columbia burned up on reentry.  The astronauts I've known has very strong feelings of attachment to the actual orbiters (since they served them well) and it struck me that some of the imagery might be much more than just CGI effects to him.  But I'll encourage him to see him.   

Holy shit. Your dad was the head of NASA?  That's really impressive stuff.

My father went to the Naval Academy and one of his good friends became an astronaut, flew on the shuttle, and now heads up the Johnson Space center.  Actually the current administrator Charlie Bolden was on of their class mates as well.

I have the utmost respect for those kinds of guys.  Super smart, capable, and awesome life experiences.

boltthrow

Who was your dad's friend?  Charlie Bolden was always a favorite of my dad's friends.  One of those adults that actually talks to you and seems interested.

boltthrow

Oh and by the way, one of the most stupendous moments in the movie was all the destruction by space debris of the shuttle and hubble happening beneath them... and yet it was totally silent.

Jor el

I concur with all that is being said.

All that shit that isn't needed - is all shit they thought they needed.
That makes me sad.
What Would Scooby Do ?

juggernaut

Quote from: boltthrow on October 14, 2013, 06:59:18 PM
Who was your dad's friend?  Charlie Bolden was always a favorite of my dad's friends.  One of those adults that actually talks to you and seems interested.

His name is Michael Coates.  Really nice guy.  He invited us down to see one of the last shuttle
launches a few years ago.  Awesome experience.

boltthrow

My dad is great friends with Mike Coates!  Small world...

juggernaut

Quote from: boltthrow on October 15, 2013, 11:56:47 AM
My dad is great friends with Mike Coates!  Small world...

Ha.  Small world indeed.  When he was on one of his first shuttle missions he sent us autographed pictures of the whole crew.  I thought it was so cool when I was a kid.

He's such a nice guy.  Went out of his way to make sure we had a great time watching the launch.  Told us some cool stories about what it's like up in space. I'd love to go to Houston some time and get a tour of the johnson space center. 

boltthrow

L. Ron can help you get a tour of someone's johnson. FYI.

juggernaut

strangelight

bolt, your dad may have ran NASA and gone in space and flown test planes built with alien technology and all that cool shit, but his son knows ice-t.

ez

Great movie. As mentioned there's a lot of unnecessary stuff in it that you can still understand why the makers put it in (besides Bullock's farewell to Clooney that is).

Even the ending, where she almost dies again, seemed totally unnecessary, but in the context of the movie it's understandable why they felt they had to end it that way.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Jor el

You're a part of the problem.
What Would Scooby Do ?

MadJohnShaft

In space no one needs TV writers.

I guess if you really want to bone Sandra Bullock then you like this movie more. Give the poor woman a break.
Some days chickens, some days feathers

mortlock

I finally just saw it.. it more or less sucked. I never read this threads spoil parts. so I went in blind. kinda like the whole blind Huston thing. I know how she felt.