Your Favorite Horror Movies

Started by diasdegalvan, October 02, 2012, 12:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diasdegalvan

Halloween is almost upon us time to up that dose of horror movies.

Alucarda
Alien
The Thing
Let the Right One In
Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead
Pet Sematary
Event Horizon
Return of the Living Dead
Halloween

Stephen King's It scared the crap out of me as a kid might still if I watch it but I don't think I've ever watched all of it. It's not because I was ever too scared but the second half with them as adults is so shit.

Haven't seen these but want to watch them:

Ginger Snaps, Re-animator, Night of the Demons and The Fly.

What else is out there that's good and also good horror movies of the past century only Let the Right One In is a recent horror movie that I loved.

Lumpy

Cemetery Man, Shaun of the Dead, and Dead/Alive are great if you like a little humor in your horror.

I liked 28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later (sequel). I assume you've seen all the Evil Dead movies (awesome). Dog Soldiers - pretty good. The Ring (US remake) - good. Session 7 - good.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

lftwng4

Don't really care about any recent movies, but the classics:

Lets Scare Jessica to Death
Suspiria
Tenebre(is that a horror?)
Zombie(Fulci)
Black Sabbath

Really, any (older)Argento, Bava or Fulci are worth repeated viewings.  I think the majority of the Hammer stuff is pretty good, maybe short on gore, but still great to look at.  Throw in some Jess Franco and Sergio Martino and what else do you need?

Guess it depends on what you want out of your horror movie.

GodShifter

It's Session 9. And, yeah, that's a good one.

Lumpy

Jor el

Night of the Living Dead
The Exorcist
Halloween
ALIEN
The Thing
What Would Scooby Do ?

GodShifter

With the exception of Halloween, which, believe it or not, I've never seen, I'd whole heartedly agree with Jor El's list. All great.

Of more recent stuff, I recommend the first Paranormal Activity as being pretty good. The third one isn't bad either. I'd stay away from the 2nd one, though. It's not terrible, but doesn't add much either.

Demon Lung

Alien
Predator
Maximum overdrive
The others
Natural born killers

Jor el

Favorite HORROR Movies - not Favorite Horrible Movies
What Would Scooby Do ?

boltthrow

GodShifter

I recognize "The Brood" and maybe a couple of others.

What are those? Some look very interesting.

lftwng4

Quote from: GodShifter on October 03, 2012, 11:54:42 AM
I recognize "The Brood" and maybe a couple of others.

What are those? Some look very interesting.

Dawn of the Dead?
Captain Kronos?
Scanners?
Zombie Lake?
The Omen?
Jaws?
Evil Dead?
Duel?(long shot)

Soundgardenia

Braindead or Dead Alive is probably my all time favorite, closely followed by Pet Sematary.
I could play Stairway to Heaven when I was twelve... Jimmy Page didn't actually write it until he was twenty-two... I think that says quite a lot..

boltthrow

1. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (78 remake)
2. The Brood
3. Exorcist
4. Prince of Darkness (flat John Carpenter movie but I found it unusually atmospheric)
5. Jaws
6. From Beyond (Stuart Gordon)
7. Alien
8. Evil Dead 2
9. Frankenstein: The True Story (1973 two part ABC Afternoon Movie I loved as a kid)
10. Scanners
11. The Beyond (Fulci)
12. Dawn of Dead
13. Curse of the Werewolf (61 Hammer)
14. Shock Waves (again not a great movie but very very moody and scary despite lack of budget)
15.  Friday the 13th ("Kill her, Mommy!  Kill her!")
16. Death Curse of Tartu (total William Grefe dreck -- but it scared me shitless as a kid)
17. The Fly (86 remake)

deleted account

lftwng4

Quote from: boltthrow on October 03, 2012, 01:28:32 PM
1. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (78 remake)
2. The Brood
3. Exorcist
4. Prince of Darkness (flat John Carpenter movie but I found it unusually atmospheric)
5. Jaws
6. From Beyond (Stuart Gordon)
7. Alien
8. Evil Dead 2
9. Frankenstein: The True Story (1973 two part ABC Afternoon Movie I loved as a kid)
10. Scanners
11. The Beyond (Fulci)
12. Dawn of Dead
13. Curse of the Werewolf (61 Hammer)
14. Shock Waves (again not a great movie but very very moody and scary despite lack of budget)
15.  Friday the 13th ("Kill her, Mommy!  Kill her!")
16. Death Curse of Tartu (total William Grefe dreck -- but it scared me shitless as a kid)
17. The Fly (86 remake)

boltthrow

L. Ron

Nosferatu(original version)
The Shining
Phantasm 2
Killer Snakes
Trilogy Of Terror
Santo Vs. The Vampire Women
have to agree with bolt on Jaws, Evil Dead 2 and especially the '86 remake of The Fly.  bolt, you should watch Carrie, great film, totally creepy.
The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do and doing it with the people that you love.

diasdegalvan

Quote from: Lumpy on October 02, 2012, 01:05:05 AM
Cemetery Man, Shaun of the Dead, and Dead/Alive are great if you like a little humor in your horror.

I liked 28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later (sequel). I assume you've seen all the Evil Dead movies (awesome). Dog Soldiers - pretty good. The Ring (US remake) - good. Session 7 - good.

Saw The Ring liked it didn't enjoy at all 28 weeks later.

Yet to see Dead Alive and the Evil Dead movies.

Edit: Shaun of the Dead was pretty good so was Zombieland.

boltthrow

Demon Lung

Most of the resident evil movies are cool. As are the underworld movies with Kate beckinsale In them. Silver bullet and salems lot were good movies too

Demon Lung

Lumpy

Quote from: diasdegalvan on October 04, 2012, 04:01:44 PM
Quote from: Lumpy on October 02, 2012, 01:05:05 AM

Saw The Ring liked it didn't enjoy at all 28 weeks later.

Yet to see Dead Alive and the Evil Dead movies.

Dead Alive is super-awesome. Directed by Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings). By the end, it's totally over the top, but you're already surrendered. I dunno, I haven't seen it for a long time, maybe it doesn't hold up.

HORNS

Evil Dead II
The Exorcist
ReAnimator
Hills Have Eyes
Dawn Of The Dead
Psycho
Shining
Halloween
The Howling

and probably my favorite all around horror film:
An American Werewolf In London