Vikings

Started by MadJohnShaft, April 10, 2013, 07:40:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GodShifter

Ragnar is, essentially, the King Arthur of Norse lore. There's no hard evidence that he really existed. Rollo, on the other hand, is a real figure. His great great grandson (or something like that) became William the Conqueror who won the Battle of Hastings in 1066.

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

GodShifter

Quote from: vonzombie on April 22, 2015, 11:08:01 PM
If you guys like this stuff you should read some of the Bernard Cornwell books. Like this, only real.

I've read his Starbuck Chronicles. I liked them.

black

Fuck Starbucks and their overpriced, fancy pants, mythological coffee.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

juan11

Yeah, I went down a wiki worm hole with that shit yesterday, GS-- had a dozen tabs open on every possible tangent you can (not even) think of.  I know at least some history of most parts of the world, but not much about Scandinavia at all.  It's cool to plug all the timelines together.  Weed!
srl = advancing our core selves in the spirit to be best

juan11

So, if this goes right, Rollo is gonna marry that Frankish princess and rule some part of northern France later?

Where do I get the uncensored ones?  I need to squirm through the blood eagle.

juan11

black

^^came for the thin lipped, crust punk-ish, attractive viking women/stayed for the Norse history.^

*respect*

juan11

Ha!  Pretty much.   ;)

black

Dylan Thomas

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on March 04, 2014, 09:52:14 PM
Very bloody. Is the historical-fiction accurate on this show or is it all fantasy?

It's based on an old epic, which is a fictionalized version of the history to begin with.

And it's not particularly faithful to the epic even.

It's a decent show, I really like parts of it.  Some episodes are hit, some are miss for me.
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

MichaelZodiac

Yeah, Bernard Cornwell is definitely a good suggestion for fans of this show. His Arthur books are great too.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

sleestak

I thought it looked cool and then they introduced that Floki character ship builder in the first episode so I turned it off.   Admittedly I am a TV prude.
Killing threads is my business and business is good.