Burial Ground: Night of Terror

Started by lftwng4, February 14, 2013, 12:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lftwng4

Italian horror is expected to be confusing and poorly made, at times, but there's also an expected payoff for those sins.  1981's Burial Ground(as I always knew it) is a worthwhile, if not flawed and cliched offering from Andrea Bianchi. 
At any rate, the movie concerns a group of people trying to fend off the impending bunch of zombies that are trying to eat them.  One by one, the group dies.  Sometimes predictably.  And the writing is only one of the problems with this flick.  The directing and editing is inconsistent, and for no good reason.  Paying a little bit of attention in the post production of this movie could have helped it a bit.  The acting is passable, but some of the dialogue ("You look just like a little whore. But I like that in a girl") is pretty terrible. 
But it's not all bad.  There's the obligatory nudity, and the women are typically Italian hot.  The gore is plenty, lots of ripped open chest cavities and chewing of parts.  The makeup is interesting and ambitious, if not always logically possible.  Kudos to the director and makeup artist for not shying away from several outdoor zombie scenes, that actually look good, complete with worms.  At times, the zombies tend to be a bit more organized than many other movie portrayals, other times they are slow moving and preoccupied as per the norm.  The sets look good and creepy, as you'd expect, however the music is a range from a jazzy intro to a weird synthy thing at the end.  Like I said, inconsistent all around.  There are some great visuals in addition to the set:  decapitation, smashing of skulls, oddly colored fluids, a Blind Dead reference, and the aforementioned Zombie makeup.  And let's not forget the nipple biting scene. 

So, Burial Ground isn't really bringing anything new to the table; it falls short compared to many of the better zombie movies(Romero, Fulci) but it is worthy of a view once or twice.  Not as stylish as Bianchi's "Strip Nude For Your Killer" but still entertaining as hell.  I remember seeing this in the early 80's at the drive-in with friends and plenty of beer.  It was, and probably still is, a great movie for that type of event.  3.5/5

The Bandit

Does it have that weird kid/dude in it?  Does he suck his momma's titty or a zombie bites it off?

lftwng4

Quote from: The Bandit on February 14, 2013, 04:09:33 PM
Does it have that weird kid/dude in it?  Does he suck his momma's titty or a zombie bites it off?

Yes, weird looking midget actor playing young son with Oedipus complex chews mom's nipple off when zombiefied.  Very sleazy and well done.

The Shocker

boltthrow

Haha I watched it two weeks ago.  The weird kid (midget) was okay when he tried to feel mommy's vag.  The horror was okay but I kind fast-forwarded through it.