The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Discö Rice

Quote from: Dr.Zayus on November 15, 2012, 12:07:11 PM
Quote from: Discö Rice on November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM
You know you wanna.

I'll start. My 2-piece metal band has been progressing at a glacial pace. It just so happens that a friend of mine just booted the drummer out of her garage/punk band (think Mummies/X-Ray Spex), so I'm gonna try that out. I'm not quitting the other band, just getting my wiggles out, so to speak. Hopefully that will take the edge off and keep me sane until the other band gets the fuck in gear.

Sounds like a good idea. I was extremely frustrated with my 70s rock styled band's slow progression, so I started up another project and we just played our first gig. I figured out that instead of getting frustrated with the snail paced progress and and getting in arguments with my bandmates, I'd just spend the extra time I wanted to be jamming on a new project and not worry so much about things beyond my control(other people wanting to/being able to make time). First show went awesome. Stoked that I'm in 2 good bands now!
That's encouraging. I've been a little tense lately. Hopefully once this gets going I'll find the other stuff easier to deal with.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

MichaelZodiac

We need to get our stuff back on track, with my surgery we haven't been able to rehearse and get ready to play shows. Good thing is that now we have decent equipment to do a show so that's 1 problem we don't have anymore. We keep getting offers for shows from friends who we've sent rehearsal recordings but we just can't for the moment. It blows.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

liquidsmoke

Just spent an hour riffing some Sabbathy/Electric Wizardy stuff on my Behringer SF300 Super Fuzz. Fun. Liking this unit a lot more now than when I first got it. Doing a studio only solo Sab/EW/Sleep ripoff project based around this unit could be really fun even if nobody thought it was any good. Minimal lyrics about occult topics, big dumb easy drums, 4-5 riffs per song, psych effects on the leads..

chille01

Quote from: Chovie D on November 15, 2012, 12:44:25 PM
the doom "band" I'm currently in has gotten together 3 times in the year and a half we've been "together" and one of the "members" has not showed up for all 3 times  :D.
got aboot 8 songs oot of that that I think are really good tho..hope they see daylight sometime.

pedal steel, I rarely practice anymore so Im rusting badly. Without being in a band its hard to motivate myself to play the thing.
I cant stand those country rock bands anymore  tho...I guess I need some studio work so i dont have to deal with those bands, but can still be motivated to play. problem is I'm not the best person in town for studio pedal steel, not even close.

I'm considering turning my studio into a grow room and selling off a bunch of my stuff.

Chovie, if you're just looking for something new to jam that pedal steel to, I got a country song with bed tracks that is dying for some decent steel work.  I have put my own ham fisted lap steel licks on it already, but would easily kill that track for someone who can do better.  Simple tune about being hungover.

liquidsmoke

A friend of mine got an Agile AL-2000 LP. It's beautiful and although I didn't play it plugged in it feels flawless.

VOLVO)))

Just jammed with a chick who asked me why I move so much when I play. I didn't have answer, so I tried to stand still, and I couldn't bend properly or keep in groove. Then I had an answer.

/body player
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Riffer

BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

bitter

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

fallen

Quote from: SunnO))) on November 19, 2012, 12:13:41 AM
Just jammed with a chick who asked me why I move so much when I play. I didn't have answer, so I tried to stand still, and I couldn't bend properly or keep in groove. Then I had an answer.

/body player

An old friend of mine who's a chef now but was a KILLER white blues player had a partial version of this in his face.

Looked totally normal/comfortable on stage until he kicked his wah on which would trigger his involuntary "wah wah" mouth movements.

Wide open mouth for the high end of the wah sweep and George W. Bush monkey face for the low end.

I,Galactus

Quote from: fallen on November 19, 2012, 03:32:28 PM
Quote from: SunnO))) on November 19, 2012, 12:13:41 AM

/body player
An old friend of mine who's a chef now but was a KILLER white blues player had a partial version of this in his face.

Looked totally normal/comfortable on stage until he kicked his wah on which would trigger his involuntary "wah wah" mouth movements.

Wide open mouth for the high end of the wah sweep and George W. Bush monkey face for the low end.
Robin Trower's a chef now?  :D

"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

RacerX

When did Robin go with the pink dye job? Looks kinda silly on an older dude...
Livin' The Life.

Jake

Quit picking on a fella mid-poop.
poop.

RacerX

Quote from: Jake on November 19, 2012, 04:19:53 PM
Quit picking on a fella mid-poop.

I was sure that was a "Fuck, this ingrown toenail HURTS!!!" face, but you might have a point there.
Livin' The Life.

liquidsmoke

Wondering if one of those newer lightweight Crown XLS power amps would sound okay for guitar. I'm also a bit skeptical about the loudness factor with class D. I currently have two 8 ohm cabs that are each rated at 300 watts. I want to hit them with as much power as they can handle for maximum volume.

Instant Dan

I've noticed since I have been approaching guitar with a more 'let's just have fun' mind-set instead of 'I need to know how to play this by week's end' my playing, oddly, has gotten better. Not playing circles around anyone but my playing seems more devoid of errors (fret noise, wrong notes) than usual.

MichaelZodiac

The mother of the drummer just came by to pickup my amps since all 3 of us don't have a drivers license.

/rocknroll
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

Andrew Blakk

I'm really looking forward to tonights rehearsal...  :)

Got some new riffs to try out.  :P

Dylan Thomas

Practicing with the Palace boys today.  Always looking forward to that, playing with my best friends and such.  Two more practices before our first gig back, playing a set of basically all new material, and we sound better than we ever have.  Who would have thought... :D
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

RAGER

I responded to a CL add the other day.  Bass player looking for a drummer to jam with.  Told him he could use my bass amp so he didn't have to drag a bunch of shit over but hoped that he wasn't a complete novice.  Haven't heard back.  I hope he wasn't turned off about the part about having pro hair/pro attitude.
No Focus Pocus

eyeprod

I also replied to a CL ad the other day. A bass player looking for a band.

I sent him a short note and a video clip telling him we're looking. He replies that he doesn't think he's on our level, detailing that he's probably not good enough. At least he was honest, but c'mon man, you're looking for a metal band and you can't play power chords, down pick, and headbang a little?
CV - Slender Fungus

Metal and Beer

Santa0))) came early! Jake hooked me the fuck up with a partially disabled Sunn Concert Bass for shipcost. The power amp works great so I'm gonna use it as a slave for my Randall 140 (which sounds badass but isn't too burly for bass by itself)

Thanks again brutha Jake0)))) !!  \m/  If you ever need he'p from Little Rock, you now "know a guy" ;D
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

the diddler

goin out to the coast this week to get my head together, might take some acid- haven't done that in about 20 years

eyeprod

I went out the the dunes and picked some mushrooms yesterday. Made some tea. Laughed my ass of watching duck dynasty for a couple of hours then listened to some music I've been working on. Thought of some cool shit for the band to focus on. It was a good head clean. Screen printing some stuff today, and I'm feeling good.
CV - Slender Fungus

mutantcolors

Quote from: the diddler on November 24, 2012, 12:22:52 PM
goin out to the coast this week to get my head together, might take some acid- haven't done that in about 20 years

20yrs is way too long of a break sir.

The coast will never look the same.