The Jam Room Blog Thread.

Started by Discö Rice, November 14, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

gonna get a pretty rad deal on a bass tomorrow from a friend.  I'll trade $100 and a Boss OS-2 for a parts Jazz bass.  Fender tuners, passive EMG p/u, Allparts neck, Squire body, Switchcraft pots and jacks, Gotoh bridge, aluminum nut.  He's a killer bass player and used it on their last record.  they aint no slouches either.

i'm not a "bass player" so I'm sure I'll be happy with it.  The last band I played bass in I used a borrowed Jazz Bass and I dug it so....

Pretty stoked.

P.S.  i aint eatin acid ever again.  got way too many things on my mind these days
No Focus Pocus

Instant Dan

You think it would be worth it to sell my current JCM 800 and use the money to finance a Ceriatone JCM 800 head with a power-scaling switch? Or should I just get an attenuator?

RAGER

Something wrong with the master volume?
No Focus Pocus

Instant Dan

Yes, I put the pre-amp on 10 and the Master on 1 but it's too loud. /s

RacerX

Lately I've been experiencing a strong and growing love for and appreciation of the blues. I've been listening to, playing & writing a lot of blues. Although I'm not a lawyer, I wonder if this could be a bad thing?

Nevertheless, I'm seriously enjoying the emphasis on emotion & guts and lack of technical expectations in the genre. There's something extremely honest about this music that I'm connecting with more and more.
Livin' The Life.

mortlock

my moog seems to be getting all the action right now..havent used my other synths that much lately..

zachoff

The Micro VR -> SVT210 & SVT115 is turning out to be pretty damned awesome for a $500 rig.

Woodford Reserve is excellent bourbon.

Oskar Blues Gubna is excellent beer.

Instant Dan

I'm more partial to Dale's Pale Ale and Ol' Yella.

Dylan Thomas

Played the first Palace In Thunderland show in five years, and the first real set I've played on stage in a year and a half.  Packed house, that's always a plus (except for the two fights, one involving the opening band...), everyone seemed to be having a lot of fun, and we had a real lot of fun.
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

moose23

Got my SG back up and running again, very happy.

VOLVO)))

Bought a faded SG with hardcase in mint condish for 200$. Gonna flip it for 400$ because I'm souless, and it feels souless.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Worthless Willie

Quote from: RacerX on November 29, 2012, 04:05:46 PM
Lately I've been experiencing a strong and growing love for and appreciation of the blues. I've been listening to, playing & writing a lot of blues. Although I'm not a lawyer, I wonder if this could be a bad thing?

Nevertheless, I'm seriously enjoying the emphasis on emotion & guts and lack of technical expectations in the genre. There's something extremely honest about this music that I'm connecting with more and more.

Yeah, there's absolutely nothing wrong with playing/loving the blues.
What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith

fallen

Quote from: Instant Dan on November 29, 2012, 11:20:11 AM
You think it would be worth it to sell my current JCM 800 and use the money to finance a Ceriatone JCM 800 head with a power-scaling switch? Or should I just get an attenuator?

Attenuator. I have the Dr. Z one and it's low tech but works. And they are the type of thing you can find on CL for cheap. When times are tough it's the first thing people sell before guitars or amps or effects.

Lumpy

Or just get a 99 dollar Valve Jr. head, and save the big amp for shows/band practice.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Jor el

Hey aJake,

I see Cowtown changed hands, and location.
Still a good shop?
What Would Scooby Do ?

Jake

Mark sold Cowtown to Jesse (and his wife) about 2 years ago. Jesse had been at Cowtown forever, and Mark moved to Oklahoma a long time ago, so it was a pretty smooth and natural transition. He then moved the shop to Downtown Vegas about a year or so ago. Better space and way less rent. They even have room for a fulltime amp repair, guitar repair, and (I think) a custom guitar builder/luthier there now.

It's still a great shop, with plenty of lustworthy gear. It's one of those places where you aren't necessarily going to get a deal of a lifetime, because they know their shit top to bottom, front to back. That said, the prices I'd still consider fair, and most definitely worth a trip there when in LV.
poop.

RacerX

I just resigned from the band I've been playing with for a few months. Musically, it was an enjoyable experience, but there was too much drama for my liking. Ah, well...
Livin' The Life.

jibberish

the blues rules. you go.

my make basement into studio/music room keeps taking twists.
I should have been done by now, but I fucked up my shoulder and have to just look at unfinished shit.
since I had to buy a pc vs mics and extra phones, I also had to set it up for music.
my winXP pc had the drivers for my old soundblaster Audigy platinum. the platinum had a whole extra I/O unit that fit into the front of a PC in a CD slot.
I had stereo line in 1+2, aux in styereo, spdif digital stereo in and mic 1 and 2 mono ins...10 fucking simultaneous inputs. 8 analog and my old reaper version could see and choose any source..so I was set for 8 track recording. monitor and output any which way..so sweet. no thoughts about a new HD recorder.
well no drivers for the Audigy software mixer so win 8 just gives a choice of 1 thing as a stereo source. reaper is all slick and crappy looking. fuck this.

jibberish

so after going back and forth between building another winXPmusic machine for my awesome, but antiquated sound card, or stay current with technology, I decided to let the old soundcard go and just go ahead and exist with 2 channel pc I/o.   so I ordered a multitrack recorder to replace the old soundcard.  and I will have my 8 inputs back again, and everything will be current tech.

the shoulder is feeling better day by day. now is the hard part: holding off doing too much even tho arm/shoulder feels better. 
I messed it up right in the middle of playing with that little amp, building my music room/studio, and life in general.
I had no idea I was such a busy guy until I had to take 2 weeks off from life.
I had no idea how massively, being gimped out, sucks

mutantcolors

Not sure what you did but there are some decent fitness blogs out there by guys who work with MLB players, so they know some real deal shoulder rehab techniques you can do at home with an exercise band and a tennis ball.

http://www.tonygentilcore.com/

http://www.dieselsc.com/

liquidsmoke

Side project in the works. Late '90s Electric Wizard/Sabbath/Sleep influenced stoner sludge doom 2 piece or solo studio project if I can't find a drummer. Signal split to my guitar rig and a bass amp, some psych effects but mostly Behr/Boss fuzz. Loads of reverb and delay on the vocals. The world does not need another band/project like this but I'm doing it anyway. The riffs.

jibberish

Quote from: mutantcolors on December 08, 2012, 02:56:32 PM
Not sure what you did but there are some decent fitness blogs out there by guys who work with MLB players, so they know some real deal shoulder rehab techniques you can do at home with an exercise band and a tennis ball.

http://www.tonygentilcore.com/

http://www.dieselsc.com/

those sites are great. I got so sidetracked , but all kinds of shoulder lore too. thx. I had no idea sites like this were out there.

mutantcolors

I had some pretty heinous chronic shoulder pain for a couple years, from driving pizza 45hrs a week for 5 yrs and drumming and shitty posture. Info I got from Diesel Crew helped me overcome it/keep it in check. Face Pulls and self myofascial release (painful as balls until you get used to it) helped a lot. I usually use the firmest med ball available at the gym but Tuff Balls (dog toy tennis ball) work great too.

bass sic

I've decided to not go with a dedicated recording unit like a tascam or something and stick with reaper. I'm even going to finally buy the program instead of just using the trial version. I have a spare computer to dedicate the whole setup on, and my old drummer is going to show me a few tricks to make the reaper easier as I'm a retard with technology. I've been able to lay down a couple rough tracks with guitar and bass, but nothing even remotely professional sounding. Yet.

mortlock

i threw a drunken bid on a moog synth on ebay last night..fuckin good thing i got out bid..that was close..