Recipes--Your Specialty

Started by black, September 28, 2011, 01:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pissy

That's what the bottling service requires- at least that's what they said the recipe needs to be scaled for.  I can't imagine runs any smaller are worth a factory environment's time.  
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

You seriously thinking about it? 

My figures were based off 18 or 36 oz containers for 85 gallons.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

I'm seriously thinking about what it would take to get the name out there enough that I don't have to eat 85 gallons of the stuff, figuratively and literally.  

I guess what I'm wondering is what I can do locally to have a little success with it.   Events I could set up a booth at.  Maybe even try and partner with a legit bbq competition dude and travel.  Pimpin' sauce. 

I don't know.   Baby steps are what I can afford realistically.   I can see a $5k attempt turning into a $10k bill rather quickly. 
Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

is that yeller sauce or the reddish?

Pissy

This one is reddish brown.  I've never tried to make a yellow. 
Vinyls.   deal.

mortlock

Send me a bottle and ill feature it on dcs. That should set you up for total success.

Muffin Man

This would be a great day for sum ribs and pissy bbq sauce. 10F degrees with a high of 12F. If the sauce has a little zing to it it would warm things up.

RAGER

Yeah it's mufukn cold and gonna be for the next several days. But the big question is, will it snow.

Reminds me. I gotta get some of that Korean snow cheese.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Made 25lbs of venison summer sausage yesterday and today.  Cooling in The water bath now    
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Pissy

I didn't realize I double posted. I was watching the sports ball and my login timed out, didn't think it went through. 
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

But damn was it cold making that stuff.  We set up on the back porch.  It was 29° pretty much stayed there over the three hours we were at it.  We had to take breaks to come inside and warm our hands up.  My left big toe was numb for 3 hrs after we finished.  

I'm going to upgrade my grinder.   It underperformed this time.  Took forever to grind it all. And i used store bought ground pork, vs cutting up a Boston butt.  I think they gave me more fat than I normally have which made the mixture stick to the plunger like the dickens. 
Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

RAGER

Had a little extra time this morning to make my favorite breakfast.

Dashi miso with daikon, carrots, mushrooms, onions, garlic and ginger.

Chicken skin and egg fried rice with some veggies

Shiozake, 9 month old daikon kimchi, 3 day old kimchi, pao cai, and fresh cuke.

No Focus Pocus

renfield

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

renfield

I can taste them through the screen

Muffin Man

i had a bear claw for breakfast. just sayin'

James1214

Dunno how, but my roast chicken yesterday came out a bit rubbery. I'm at a loss.

>:(

I do them exactly the same way every time, and the method I use has literally worked a hundreds of times (around every other week for something like 15 years).

450 for 20 minutes, drop to 375, cook to 155, pull and let rest for 10-15 minutes. It was not super appetizing, so it got chopped into bits and tossed in the stock pot.

Made a few NY strips instead, which was quick and went with the sides.

The crazy thing is it's the first time I can remember this ever happening. I mean, my lady jokes that one of the reasons she fell in love with me is how well I cook chicken.... Which she says is consistently the best she's ever eaten.
words

renfield

I betcha it was the chicken itself. Bird led a rough life or something. What kind of chicken do you get?

Interesting (to me) that you pull at 155. You're temping the thighs for that or the tiddy??

James1214

I buy Mary's or Smart Chicken, whatever my local store has at the better price. This was a Mary's bird.

I temp the center of the breast. I mean, in terms of food safety it's like it has to be held at 165 for bacteria to die for only 15 seconds, 155 for 1 minute. Thighs always temp significantly higher, and honestly I almost always hit bone, which throws the reading off. Also, I set my thermometer for 155, and then I'm inevitably fucking around making a salad dressing, or asparagus or broccolini or whatever for a bit before pulling it from the oven. So it'll get closer to 160 before it comes out..... Regardless, I did put it back in the oven and it didn't really help..... Super strange.

It usually leads to a super juicy bird, and the super high starting temp makes every speck of skin crispy AF. Also I cook in a rack, but don't truss at all.
words

Pissy

That's strange. The rubberieness was the meat?  Not just the skin?
Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

rubber chicken 1 out of 400 big deal. worst part is not tossing it rather putting it some crock pot ike its okay. horrible soup now. two wrongs

renfield

My struggle with whole chickens is that I like my breasts at barely 165 if that (one of the restaurants I worked at insisted we did them "medium well" and honestly it's what's up), but I really feel like you need to get the dark meat to like 185 for it to stop being slimy and gross. Maybe I should stop trussing

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.