Recipes--Your Specialty

Started by black, September 28, 2011, 01:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

Getting kinda good at some of these basic homey types of Japanese dishes.

Breakfast this morning.

Stir fry of veg and pork belly over rice

Butternut squash simmered in dashi and fried garlic.

Hard steamed egg and furikake, griddled shishitos on roasted onion petals

Daikon kimchi and sweet and sour pickled daikon.

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Mushroom miso salmon, rice and sides.

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

spectacular! Miso salmon, that's interesting. I simply must have the receipe. ;D 

Reminds me that I've got to source some miso.

RAGER

There are so many misos. It's a whole damn world. One of these days I'll make my own.

From this morning

Leftover salmon, not the stupid band, over rice and covered with a sweet and sour ginger scallion dribble, tamagoyaki, pickled daikon, bori bori cucumber, soup and a dashiwari at the end. Picked a different sake.

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

looks like you've gone Japanese 24/7. awesome.

RAGER

I seem to when it starts getting cold.

But wait. Last night was Mexico.

Check it.

Terrible plating but we were hungry. Can't even tell what's going down.
Brined and grilled chicken, stewed pintos with bacon grease, roasted pear garlic chili sauce, butternut squash with coriander cumin seed oil dribble, guacamole and fresh made chips in house.
The red threads are shil gochu.

That chili sauce was bomb

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Breakfast this morning. My shiozake finished curing so I broiled some of that.

Dashiwari. The last of the broth in the bowl with extra chilis and shot of warm sake.

The process for shiozake. Slice salmon Japanese style, rub with sake and let sit for about 10 minutes. Pat dry and apply about 2-3 Tblsp kosher salt. Pack in paper towels with a little separation and seal in a container for 2 days. Remove and bring to room temp, broil. Or wrap individually and freeze to use later. Pics below.

Ready to go.

Interesting note. The reason to rub sake is to remove any fishy smell. Neither the fish, container or the paper towels smelled even remotely like fish.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Found my Red Miso! Actually, was at the fish counter and blurted out hey do you have miso? Yep, 2nd shelf in first the cooler. Whut!? Cool. Total suprise. I totally forget to get Sake. Next time.

Anywho, Salmon miso soup inbound. One problem, I already cooked the Salmon. Semper Gumby let me try red snapper, I bought a couple filets, so, red miso snapper inbound. /tbc.

https://amanofoods.ca/

ps. fresh oysters red miso style? Hmm, might get quickly out of hand, miso here, miso there, miso everywhere.

Muffin Man

Line caught Sockeye; salt, pepper, sesame oil. 425F. Oops, over heated but yum.
Cream cheese portion with red pepper jelly (spicy)
Delallo brand peperoncini (good, fine)

Muffin Man

RAGER

Yes red miso or Aka Miso is what prefer too. I like a bold miso which is the Aka. It has more soybean, is fermented linger and is more concentrated.

Think I'll have some miso sockeye ramen for breakfast.

I'll have to look for this brand.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Quote from: RAGER on November 09, 2023, 11:00:15 AMYes red miso or Aka Miso is what prefer too. I like a bold miso which is the Aka. It has more soybean, is fermented linger and is more concentrated.

Think I'll have some miso sockeye ramen for breakfast.

I'll have to look for this brand.

Let me pop one in the mail to you! Ive got freezer packs to so it would arrive cold. I do need to find some Aka, hopefully at my usual stores, otherwise longer trip to the fish place but I could stock up on their other specialty items too! Win win.

RAGER

Ooooooo. Nice. K. I'll keep an eye out.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Rager, I finally got over the border, one of my 4 stores carries the Amano miso. The small indy grocer (all kinds of weird tins of fish) doesn't but cariies this one, have you tried it? Comes in a poly bag, no container.

Anywho I left the other at the store since I was out for awhile. And figured no sense in shipping today or Friday, but will dispatch pronto on ice next week.

https://hikarimiso.com/products/shinshu-aka-miso-1kg/

Pissy

Does MM actually live in Canada?  I haven't figured this out. 
Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

Pissy, no but can be there in 10 minutes if the border lines are nil. PM'd you my zipcode.

RAGER

Quote from: Muffin Man on November 22, 2023, 01:06:55 PMRager, I finally got over the border, one of my 4 stores carries the Amano miso. The small indy grocer (all kinds of weird tins of fish) doesn't but cariies this one, have you tried it? Comes in a poly bag, no container.

Anywho I left the other at the store since I was out for awhile. And figured no sense in shipping today or Friday, but will dispatch pronto on ice next week.

https://hikarimiso.com/products/shinshu-aka-miso-1kg/

Rad. Can't wait to try it. Had niku miso donburi last night.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

The full name would be kaeng jeut woon sen had I used glass noodles but I used what I had on hand which was rice noodles so it'd be kaeng jeut khanom jeen which is not really a thing in Thailand for specific reasons.
Oh well. There's several variations of this from household to household. Mine has pork riblets, pork meat blobs, tofu, leek, celery, cilantro, onion, garlic, daikon, yu choy, carrot, tofu, mushrooms and cabbage.
And of course the rice noodles.
Condiments are phrik nam som, chili garlic sauce, Golden Mountain, fish sauce

It's a pretty basic soup construction. Roast the riblets briefly to get some color first. Mix ground pork with white pepper, soy sauce, fish sauce, garlic powder, salt for the meat blobs. No need for balls. Just use two spoons to portion and drop. Add the hardest stuff first cuz it'll take longer to cook.

If you use glass noodles you can add them at the very end. They will hold up as leftovers. Rice noodles won't so I cook them separately and add to the soup.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Definitely one of my specialties.

Choriqueso poblano foldies, RAGER's Cantina Beans, 2 day ferment curtido, habanero sauce.

Close up of that curtido

RAGER's patented crisping technique employed

Cantina beans are scratch cooked pintos with olive oil, salt, fresh bay leaf and chipotle sauce.

Chorizo is housemade. Pork, salt, Guajillos, NM chilis,toasted coriander and cumin seed, dash f cinnamon, paprika, cayenne, black pepper

Curtido is thinly sliced cabbage, carrot, red onion, jalapeƱo, Mexican oregano massaged with kosher salt and left to ferment a couple days at room temp.

Roast poblano until soft and blackened. Peel, seed and dice. I used Colby jack but Monterey Jack or queso Oaxaca is even better.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Thanks for the recipe and process on that
Quote from: RAGER on January 06, 2024, 10:20:08 AMDefinitely one of my specialties.

Choriqueso poblano foldies, RAGER's Cantina Beans, 2 day ferment curtido, habanero sauce.

Thanks for the recipe and process.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

James1214

Took 90% of my dried chilis from previous years, including padron, lemon drop fatali, serrano, ancho, thai dragons and a few that had lost their labels, toasted them, rehydrated, blended with a little onion, carrot, 4 cloves of garlic a half cup of fresh squeezed orange juice and a bout a quart and a half of vinegar (mix of apple cider and white) and made the best goddamn hot sauce I've made to date. It's a helluva ass burner, but so so so so good.
words

Pissy

Cool!  

Along the same lines, I actually documented my bbq sauce recipe this weekend instead of just throwing shit together.  It took me a few tries and some consolidation of ingredients, but I think I got it.   I was looking at getting some made to sell.  The company I was looking at needs the recipe upscaled to 85 gallons, then there's some up front costs for FDA approvals and acidity testing so it could be verified to sit on a shelf.  About $1000 before anything begins.  Then bottling materials, label designs and ingredients, then the actual manufacturing, then packaging and shipping, I'm sure.  
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Whoah. You gonna do close to 300 or 600 bottles? 
No Focus Pocus