Main Menu

Acoustic Strings

Started by Pissy, February 18, 2023, 07:44:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pissy

I'm trying to find acoustic strings that I like.  So far I've decided that I don't like coated strings, so like Elixirs aren't something I would get.  I like bronze, and am not opposed to phosphor bronze, but as I'm looking tend to gravitate more to straight up bronze.  So far I'm settling on medium light and I think D'addario bronze and nickel bronze in that size (11-53 I think) are the front runners at the moment.  

In terms of sound, I like volume and a bright but full sound.  As they age, I can live with a drop in brightness, but volume loss will make me change them out pretty quickly.  

Any suggestions?
Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

No suggestions at the moment. I'm not into the coateds either.  But I am going toward a duller sound for recording if only to just try it. Maybe get a slacker feel on the sensitivity and tension. Might even hide some lack of talent not that I need a whole bunch for my 3 chords.

I'll get a set of these flatwounds to try on the parlor. They are expensive but if they work they'll stay on for a long time, like forever. I've got Pearse here and some others but the flats would be a whole different thing.

Here's why. worth a look at his website too. https://tonefiend.com/

everdrone

I got a setup on my taylor koa.  My tech told me to avoid the coated durable types of strings because they wear out the frets. bronze, not coated.  I got very light.  If you play electric, well there is a lot more strength you need to play acoustic or bass.

Pissy

So far I'm setting on D'Addario nickel bronze 11's and phosphor bronze custom lights.  Nickel bronze in particular, but those custom light Phosphor bronze are interesting.   The brightest is dialed back a few notches, which is different in a good though unexpected way.

Nothing in the Earthwood line that I care for that I've found.  Nothing coated.   I still have a set of DR's to try.  And I haven't had immediate access to anything GHS cuz my local shops don't stock them, which i find odd. 
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

D'addario phosphor bronze lights are good.  My second choice.  Still high on the nickel bronze. Haven't found anything better yet. 
Vinyls.   deal.