Show Off Your Rigs: Rebirth

Started by VOLVO))), December 04, 2010, 06:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

You knew it was coming. In about 2 hours, I'll go take some pictures that don't eat dick.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

sylvesterlowery

Well, it's not your standard stoner/doom setup, but it works for me.

I run either the pictured Ibanez SF 420 or an Ibanez S-Classic into a Crate PowerBlock and into a Carvin 4x12. Pedal Board pic is pretty much current as well, though there is now a DOD phaser in the loop as well.

I use:
Ibanez SF 420,Ibanez S-Classic,Ibanez RG 321,Ibanez RG 7321,other Ibanez, Jackson,B.C. Rich, Squier and Hondo giutars
Crate Power Block,Carvin 4x12
Boss,Ibanez,Arion and BBE pedals.
Band-myspace.com/blackholecaravan

Volume

VOLVO)))

Serious love for the VJ. Have you seen that Jet City Picovalve? It a hundred bucks more, but it's super kickass...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

sylvesterlowery

Yeah, I love my Epi VJ, awesome little amps. Sounds huge through a 4x12.
I use:
Ibanez SF 420,Ibanez S-Classic,Ibanez RG 321,Ibanez RG 7321,other Ibanez, Jackson,B.C. Rich, Squier and Hondo giutars
Crate Power Block,Carvin 4x12
Boss,Ibanez,Arion and BBE pedals.
Band-myspace.com/blackholecaravan

Danny G

Current gig rig

Dusted off the SVT to hopefully get some more mileage out of the fucked up speakers in the new run Fender 4x10. Rack off to the side holds my Fender TB-600, power conditioner and wireless unit. Bass is Minnie Pearl, my new 2000 USA Fender P-bass
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

VOLVO)))

The SVT finally emerges from the house! Jumping the channels, too? Damn, you're goin' gritty, eh?

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dk419

It's impossible to not participate in evey one of these threads.

Volume

Quote from: SunnO))) on December 05, 2010, 12:04:10 PM
Serious love for the VJ. Have you seen that Jet City Picovalve? It a hundred bucks more, but it's super kickass...

I like the VJ, it's way too loud for an apartment though. The Picovalve seems nice, but if I'd be looking for another home rig I'd probably go for the Vox ac4.

ROWDYBEER

FUCKING LOUD!

black_out

It gets the job done.

By my side I keep my things that I ne-uh-ed! Rest in peace is gonna set me free!

ROWDYBEER

hah i did the same thing at first with my photos. use the one with [img] [img] or more options and go right from your comp.

black_out

Quote from: ROWDYBEER on December 06, 2010, 02:24:19 PM
hah i did the same thing at first with my photos. use the one with [img] [img] or more options and go right from your comp.

Thanks dune! That's a nice little feature.
By my side I keep my things that I ne-uh-ed! Rest in peace is gonna set me free!

VOLVO)))

Alternately, there's an "add attachement" at the bottom that posts a clickable scaled down version of your original photo. I prefer it because it keeps down on bandwidth and whatnot.

One of my most prized instruments.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

black_out

Quote from: SunnO))) on December 06, 2010, 02:28:51 PM
Alternately, there's an "add attachement" at the bottom that posts a clickable scaled down version of your original photo. I prefer it because it keeps down on bandwidth and whatnot.

One of my most prized instruments.

Diggin that pick guard! I've kicked around the idea of putting one on my tele for a while now. Been kind of a toss up between that and pearloid.

ROWDYBEER

How do teles sound in a stonerrock situation? You have any audio? I have some strat copy kickin around that is kind of fun to play.

black_out

I love my tele but in all fairness I'm playing with more of a classic rock kind of tone than most stoner bands probably are. I also have a stacked humbucker in the bridge. Amazingly it still sounds like a tele, very similar to the stock tele pup(fender texas special), but the humbucker helps cut down on the feedback. The texas special I had in there would feedback like crazy. What I really like about it is that we have two guitar players and living in different tonal realms (he plays a les paul into a 5150) allows what each of us is playing to cut through really well.

VOLVO)))

I love my tele for stoner/doom, it's bright as balls, the EMG's have a really flat frequency response, and they're super even so strings don't compete for the output. I hate humbucker EMG's, they're bad. This tele set kind of made me angry at myself because I liked them so much. The output is low compared to a humbucker, but since they're active, there's no noise, no 60hz hum. Though my '86 JCM800, cranked up, no pedals, tone sounds like Shellac -1000 Hurts. I know that's not stoner, but it is a super fucking killer tone. It'll sound like whatever you want it to. It's got a fat neck, and fat frets, and lower-middle action. Toss anything with a ton of gain in front of it, and it'll sustain for days, and it fuzzes out well, but you still get the twang through all the mist and fog. It's a kickass choice. I'm thinking about building one here in a few weeks, when I have some bones, heartwood cherry body, rosewood neck/board, single soap bar. That pickguard is of the tooled leather persuasion, hand cut by me. It makes that guitar, in my eyes. 340 dollar Mexican tele, 400 bucks in upgrades. Graphite saddles, graphite nut, those EMGs, that pickguard, refret it myself... Love that guitar.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

black_out

Nice dude. My tele is a mexi, too. I've been slowly upgrading it over the years. A few different sets of pups in and out of it and recently had a bone nut installed. Next I'm gonna throw some new pots in and a new jack, not that I think it needs it so much as I just like to keep busy and it seems like a cool little project. After that I'm looking at throwing some graphite saddles on it.

How was it doing the refret? Was it a pain in the ass?  Did you have someone to help you out with it or are you just a pretty handy sort of dude? I would really be into doing something like that but I'm pretty sure I'd be too intimidated to do it without someone to walk me through the process.

tossom

Yay!  Was hoping to find this thread!

1978 Fender Strat
2002 Vigier Excalibur Ultra
1976 Fender Tele Custom
1996 Gibson SG
1982 Marshall JCM 800 2204 with 2x12 cab loaded with vintage 30s
1991 Marshall JCM900 4500 with 4x12 loaded with greenbacks
Fender Blues Junior

Have a few other bits and bobs missed from the pic - the best being a 70s Wem copycat I got from my Dad!

Now back playing in a band for the first time in 5 years too, so actually using the gear again - glad I didn't sell it all when I had my early midlife crisis.  Strat was just given a set up at CC music in Glasgow, plays like a sweetie now.

The band I joined have given me a pretty long leash when it comes to writing and sounds, actually using the tele for most of it.  The other guitarist in the band uses an SG, think the brash edge of the tele works well in the mix.  Red Fang would be a band to check out to see if you like the sound of a tele in stoner music.
"Beige rock"

VOLVO)))

Quote from: black_out on December 06, 2010, 06:21:32 PM
Nice dude. My tele is a mexi, too. I've been slowly upgrading it over the years. A few different sets of pups in and out of it and recently had a bone nut installed. Next I'm gonna throw some new pots in and a new jack, not that I think it needs it so much as I just like to keep busy and it seems like a cool little project. After that I'm looking at throwing some graphite saddles on it.

How was it doing the refret? Was it a pain in the ass?  Did you have someone to help you out with it or are you just a pretty handy sort of dude? I would really be into doing something like that but I'm pretty sure I'd be too intimidated to do it without someone to walk me through the process.

http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Player-Repair-Guide-Book/dp/0879309210

Best book you can ever own. The refret was easy, pulling the frets was the hard part. I glued mine, tapped 'em in with a brass headed dead blow hammer. Set the neck dead straight, leveled them flat, instead of to the radius of the board, I chose the biggest fretwire I could. Hand filed every bevel on my hand side, saw neck sucks. It wasn't bad. New nut was installed when I did the frets, took me about 4 blanks to get it right, since I had never filed one from scratch. All-in-all, I love the shit out working on guitars. I do all my friend's shit for free, at this point, just to keep me amused.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Discö Rice

Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Discö Rice

Meant to add -
Tama Artstar II
(Width by Depth)
14x14 Snare (made it myself fron the 14" tom the kit came with)
16x16 Rack Tom
22x16 Floor Tom (Kick drum drilled and mounted on floor tom legs)
22x32 Kick Drum (made from two kick drums stuck together end to end)

Cymbals
Paiste 24" 2002 Ride (crash)
Paiste 22" 2002 Ride (crash)
Zildjian 20" K Custom Dry Ride (actual ride)
Zildjian 14" A Custom Projection Hat Bottom, 14" Z Custom bottom hat
Zildjian 20" China trash

Tama Iron Cobra Hi Hat stand
DW 9002 Double Bass Drum Pedal

Various Sawblades, broken cymbals, ribbon crashers, cowbells

Sticks - Regaltip Quantum 9000 Nylon Tip
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

deeprest