15" bass combos that can power an extension cab?

Started by liquidsmoke, September 23, 2011, 02:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liquidsmoke

Anybody know of any? I can't see 2 15s not being loud enough. Ampeg makes a 600 watt 15 combo but it can not power a second cab. Lame.
A combo is one less thing to carry around and set up and I like 15s. This would be for guitar for the time being. My 100 watt Fender 15 combo is loud enough for practice but I'm looking to upgrade.

justinhedrick

not ideal, but you could get a higher ohmage speaker for the combo, and have an ext speaker jack put in as well?

liquidsmoke

Peavey Tour TNT and TKO to the rescue. 600 watts and 400 watts. Cheaper but heavier than Ampeg and can power a second cab. Anyone use either of these?

justinhedrick

Quote from: liquidsmoke on September 23, 2011, 03:19:23 PM
Peavey Tour TNT and TKO to the rescue. 600 watts and 400 watts. Cheaper but heavier than Ampeg and can power a second cab. Anyone use either of these?

the TNT and TKO are awesome. you can really push them and they are pretty indistrucable.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: justinhedrick on September 23, 2011, 03:27:43 PM
the TNT and TKO are awesome. you can really push them and they are pretty indistrucable.

That is good to hear!

justinhedrick

Quote from: liquidsmoke on September 23, 2011, 04:02:03 PM
Quote from: justinhedrick on September 23, 2011, 03:27:43 PM

That is good to hear!

now, keep in mind all of those that i've seen in use are the black widow speakers, if that matters.

At_Giza

I know that the Acoustic B200 1x15 can, buddy of mine runs it with a B410. I know of a few others, but they're either mentioned already (I second the Peavey TKO) or up there in price.

Discö Rice

What's wrong with Black Widows? I have a BW equipped 1x18 cab that sounds awesome.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: Discö Rice on September 23, 2011, 05:03:53 PM
What's wrong with Black Widows? I have a BW equipped 1x18 cab that sounds awesome.

That's the problem, you own some.

That's enough to keep me away from them. 22 inch drums are gone forever.  ;D ;D ;D
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Discö Rice

justinhedrick

Quote from: Discö Rice on September 23, 2011, 05:03:53 PM

nothing. i too have a 1x18 BW that is awesome. i think the new amps have different speakers, right?

Discö Rice

Quote from: justinhedrick on September 23, 2011, 05:35:47 PM

nothing. i too have a 1x18 BW that is awesome. i think the new amps have different speakers, right?
I have no idea.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: At_Giza on September 23, 2011, 04:42:05 PM
I know that the Acoustic B200 1x15 can, buddy of mine runs it with a B410. I know of a few others, but they're either mentioned already (I second the Peavey TKO) or up there in price.

This one is a little cheaper but I think it will only put out 200 watts max with or without a second cab. The Acoustic website doesn't get into details about that. I think it's their 200 watt head paired up with a 15 cab.

At_Giza

Yeah, but it doesn't hurt his volume. And yes, it is the B200H in a combo form (though it isn't just a head shoved into a cabinet, it's only go one output for another cab and what not).

It works well for him, he doesn't play large venues anyway so no matter if it "only puts out 200W," it's still plenty for both cabs and it fits his tastes and needs (and budget) well.

(Honestly, if it were me, I would find a preamp and power amp that fit my needs and build them into a 1x15 cab, but yeah, I don't really need a combo heh).

liquidsmoke

200 watts would probably be plenty of power for me but as I was telling someone the other week, you want to make sure your penis is big enough and then some just for good measure. haha.

At_Giza

When you get into that much dick measuring it's better to go with a head instead of a combo.  :P

Lumpy

I don't like combo amps if you're trying to make things easier to carry. You still have the same size cabinet, but now it;s even heavier. (maybe even slightly bigger, actually). I would rather make a 2nd trip and carry a head separately. Powerful amps are less portable, when they are combo format.

Also, god forbid you blow your amp. Now your speaker is out of commission too (well, you can rewire it so you can use the speaker with a separate head like you should have done in the first place, but who wants to do that). Or vice versa - you blow a speaker.

I usually don;t like combo amps with rare exceptions (Fender Twin Reverb, Roland JC120, etc).
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Lumpy on September 24, 2011, 12:19:12 PM
I don't like combo amps if you're trying to make things easier to carry. You still have the same size cabinet, but now it;s even heavier. (maybe even slightly bigger, actually). I would rather make a 2nd trip and carry a head separately. Powerful amps are less portable, when they are combo format.

Also, god forbid you blow your amp. Now your speaker is out of commission too (well, you can rewire it so you can use the speaker with a separate head like you should have done in the first place, but who wants to do that). Or vice versa - you blow a speaker.

I usually don;t like combo amps with rare exceptions (Fender Twin Reverb, Roland JC120, etc).

Good point. That Peavey is 75 pounds and I don't like lifting heavy shit, it's why I got a 2x12 guitar cab at 60 or 65 vs 80+ for a 4x12. Basement steps suck.

Having 2 rigs to set up live will suck though, just want to make it as fast and easy as possible.

liquidsmoke

It turns out that the Peavey TNT has a MAXIMUM output of 600 watts and is NOT 600 RMS. Damn you Peavey. Damn you.
The Acoustic B200 combo is quite a bit cheaper and probably only 50 or 100 watts less.

liquidsmoke

So I figured out that at least for now I really don't need a million watts or even 400 or 500. The "bass" side of my split rig for guitar involves my muff clone > Sansamp > Peavey 15" 100 watt combo as before but now I've got the Peavey sitting on top of a Bugera 15" cab and a Sunn Slave power amp sitting on top of the Peavey to power the Bugera. I'm running a line out cord from the Peavey to the Sunn. At 8 ohms the Sunn is probably only putting out something like 70-100 watts but with the Peavey combo also going I've got plenty of volume. Weirdest Kraut Irish rigged set up ever?

Hemisaurus

I've given up worrying about instrument amp watts, for the most part. I've got a 350 Ampeg, and a Yamaha B100. Into the same cab, the Ampeg is always quietest, I've never gigged it, I've gigged the Yamaha.

For the record min impedance, is 4 for the Ampeg and Yamaha, put them into a Peavey 2x15.

VOLVO)))

My beta leads blew that 600 watt Peavey poweramp outta the water, they're 100 watts... Just sayin'.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

fallen

I've put my time in with combos and they are a huge pain in the ass. Once something is 80 or 90 lbs it just ends up getting beat to shit. Heads are way more durable just because they get banged around less often. My old bass player also had a 1x15 bass combo and that thing weighed a ton and honestly didn't cut it volume wise.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: SunnO))) on October 29, 2011, 04:20:24 PM
My beta leads blew that 600 watt Peavey poweramp outta the water, they're 100 watts... Just sayin'.

Beta lead is SS? That doesn't make sense, not saying I don't believe you though. I just don't really understand electricity.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: fallen on October 29, 2011, 04:43:17 PM
I've put my time in with combos and they are a huge pain in the ass. Once something is 80 or 90 lbs it just ends up getting beat to shit. Heads are way more durable just because they get banged around less often. My old bass player also had a 1x15 bass combo and that thing weighed a ton and honestly didn't cut it volume wise.

I can see a heavy combo getting beat up faster for sure. I think my Fender is about 50 pounds which is pretty manageable I think.