Main Menu

2 15"s what to do?

Started by Hemisaurus, January 08, 2012, 06:25:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemisaurus

Have acquired a nice pair of Peavey BW's in crappy cabs, anyone want to chime in on how I should rehouse them?

justinhedrick

build a copy of a sunn 2x15

VOLVO)))

Build copies of two Sunn 1x15's.  ;D ;D

Find some 10's and copy an ampeg Isovent...
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Hmm, the Isovent, I do have a couple of spare 10"s and may be acquiring an empty fridge, I'd thought of a manifold kinda like the old Acoustic 408, but just the ported parts and stick the 10"s on top.

Keep 'em coming, folded horns, pair of scoops, whatever. Ideally something bassy, yet portable ;D

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on January 08, 2012, 11:05:02 AM
Hmm, the Isovent, I do have a couple of spare 10"s and may be acquiring an empty fridge, I'd thought of a manifold kinda like the old Acoustic 408, but just the ported parts and stick the 10"s on top.

Keep 'em coming, folded horns, pair of scoops, whatever. Ideally something bassy, yet portable ;D

are you getting the empty 8x10 in champaign, herb?

spookstrickland

I got an even better Idea use them for an Isolation cab.  put them face to face and use the feed coming of the one to run direct into the house pa, this is supposed to be how paul got such a huge bass sound in the latter Beatles years.

I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Hemisaurus

Quote from: justinhedrick on January 08, 2012, 12:34:26 PM
are you getting the empty 8x10 in champaign, herb?
Yeah, but it went already. Oh well Uncle Dave will just have to build it from scratch.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: spookstrickland on January 08, 2012, 04:50:52 PM
I got an even better Idea use them for an Isolation cab.  put them face to face and use the feed coming of the one to run direct into the house pa, this is supposed to be how paul got such a huge bass sound in the latter Beatles years.
Spook the Isovent is actually an Isobarik Vented Cabinet, not an isolation cabinet. It's more or less a small folded horn, with 2 10"s mounted in one of the panels.

Isobarik is where two identical drivers are bolted together facing each other, usually through a panel and wired out of phase so as one pushes the other pulls, it results in you being able to half the size of the cabinet used. I think it halves the compliance volume and doubles the moving mass, or I may have that backwards. Either way you end up with a much smaller cabinet. You lose 3dB of efficiency per driver, but seeing as you now have double the power handling, it's not usually a problem.

I think an isovent, or any folded horn might be too large and complicated, I am thinking the two vented boxes into a manifold would be a way to go, but I looked at Monolith who build one, and the unit they make is like 26"x36"x22" or something like that, basically the same damn size as the bass cabinet I just traded. I wonder if they used math for that or just copied it from Acoustic, I can model the size of each ported box for the specific drivers, but I have no formula for calculating the manifold size, reading the EV paper, they are talking about modelling it as a horn throat, so maybe that's the way to go.

If anyone knows anything about it, post a link or whatever ;)

spookstrickland

Quote from: Hemisaurus on January 08, 2012, 05:12:09 PM
Quote from: spookstrickland on January 08, 2012, 04:50:52 PM
Spook the Isovent is actually an Isobarik Vented Cabinet, not an isolation cabinet. It's more or less a small folded horn, with 2 10"s mounted in one of the panels.

Isobarik is where two identical drivers are bolted together facing each other, usually through a panel and wired out of phase so as one pushes the other pulls, it results in you being able to half the size of the cabinet used. I think it halves the compliance volume and doubles the moving mass, or I may have that backwards. Either way you end up with a much smaller cabinet. You lose 3dB of efficiency per driver, but seeing as you now have double the power handling, it's not usually a problem.

I think an isovent, or any folded horn might be too large and complicated, I am thinking the two vented boxes into a manifold would be a way to go, but I looked at Monolith who build one, and the unit they make is like 26"x36"x22" or something like that, basically the same damn size as the bass cabinet I just traded. I wonder if they used math for that or just copied it from Acoustic, I can model the size of each ported box for the specific drivers, but I have no formula for calculating the manifold size, reading the EV paper, they are talking about modelling it as a horn throat, so maybe that's the way to go.

If anyone knows anything about it, post a link or whatever ;)

What I'm talking about is and Isolation cabinet that uses one speaker for a driver and the other for a very large mic diaphragm.  That way you can record quite but get every bit of your sound to tape.  The used to push two of Paul's cabs face to face, he would play through the one and the other was ran direct into the board.

I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Hemisaurus

I'm thinking about that, looking at a pair of non-identical 12"s stacked on my shelf. I think Ideally you'd want a very high power woofer doing the pushing, large mass, strong motor, doing the pushing, and a very light driver doing the receiving, provided they both have front gaskets and matching bolt holes, you could maybe get away with bolting them together without a cab. Still it's a heck of a waste of a speaker, just to sound like Paul McCartney ;) I do have a 400W 12" and a 50W 12" maybe that could be a use for them.

Seeing as I missed out on the fridge, I think I may do the 15" manifold, I'm playing with modelling cabs relevant to the drivers T/S parameters, trying to figure out the best shape to get out of a 2'x4' or 2'x8' 3/4" board with least waste, having a box that's 2' deep x 2' wide might get a little unwieldly, but it makes a single piece of the cab only about 14" high, which means I might get a total height of just over 2ft as well.