Main Menu

2x15 cab project

Started by bbottom, October 14, 2012, 06:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbottom

I have an old Fender 2x15 cab that is just collecting dust. It's from either the late 60's or early 70's. And I'm thinking about fixing it up.

As of now it doesn't have any sort of padding on the inside of it and it's missing a speaker.

The guy that owned the cab before me had two EV Series B 200 watt series B speakers that he put in the cab back in the 80's.
Since I never used the cab I ended up taking the one speaker out of it and selling it.

So here are my questions;

What should I used to "pad" the inside of the cab? I'm assuming the egg crate mattress padding stuff would work.

What would a good replacement speaker be, that would still fit in the same hole, as the one that's missing? Also do you think that it would be a good idea to replace the other speaker (nothing is wrong with it) because it is probably 30 years old.

Any help would be appreciated

dogfood

One of the two cabs I'm pimping right now is loaded with Eminence speakers (Wizards, shout out to Instant Dan) and I couln't be more impressed.  The other cab is going to get replaced.
Problem solving whiskey!

Hemisaurus

Check the other speaker moves before you declare it workng, I have a seized up 15 from a Fender cab.

Quilt filling is good for cabs, fibreglass attic insulation can be used. If you plan to use it for bass matched r similar drivers are a good move. As I recall it's an open cab, no separation between the speakers, yeah? For guitar matched drivers not so important, unless you are Foxen. ;)

Mr. Foxen

Sealed cabs should be stuffed, pillow stuffinfg will do, knobbly foam is for ported cabs where you don't want stuffing messing with the airflow. If it is sealed, work out roughly what the volume of the cab is and find speakers reccomended for sealed cabs of that volume per speaker.

bbottom

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 14, 2012, 08:49:20 PM
Check the other speaker moves before you declare it workng, I have a seized up 15 from a Fender cab.

Quilt filling is good for cabs, fibreglass attic insulation can be used. If you plan to use it for bass matched r similar drivers are a good move. As I recall it's an open cab, no separation between the speakers, yeah? For guitar matched drivers not so important, unless you are Foxen. ;)

I last used the thing maybe two years ago and it was fine so I can't imagine it suddenly not working. I'll check it out though.

It's a sealed cab and the speakers are separated.

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on October 14, 2012, 09:06:49 PM
Sealed cabs should be stuffed, pillow stuffinfg will do, knobbly foam is for ported cabs where you don't want stuffing messing with the airflow. If it is sealed, work out roughly what the volume of the cab is and find speakers reccomended for sealed cabs of that volume per speaker.

How do I find out the volume of a cab?

Hemisaurus

Quote from: bbottom on October 14, 2012, 09:11:09 PM
I last used the thing maybe two years ago and it was fine so I can't imagine it suddenly not working. I'll check it out though.

It's a sealed cab and the speakers are separated.

How do I find out the volume of a cab?
Turn it up really loud ;D

No, easiest would be to measure the outside dimensions and divide by two, that'll give you a rough figure, to match the rough volumes given out by speaker makers.

QuoteMOUNTING INFORMATION
Recommended Enclosure Volume
Sealed   71-85 liters / 2.5-3 cu.ft.
Vented   106-177 liters / 3.75-6.25 cu.ft.
Driver Volume Displaced   
As you can see they give you a fair ballpark, google can do the math for you just type in something like

65 inch * 20 inch * 15 inch in cubic feet

Depends where you store it, two years is a long time, if moisture gets into the voice coil gap it can seize up. Press gently with your hand spread across the cone, so you don't dent the dustcap in the centre, does it still move in and spring out?

Hemisaurus

Oh yeah, and if the speakers are both in their own separate little compartments, you can run it as a 1x15, 'til you get a new speaker, 1 being better than none ;)