Main Menu

18w Not Loud Enough

Started by Ombrenuit, November 05, 2012, 10:22:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ombrenuit

My 18 watt with a 1x12 (private jack, open back) isn't loud enough. I want a 2x12 closed back but I've heard discouraging things about Avatar and weber. I'd get an orange but I hate v30s and I would switch out the speakers. Trying to get the best value for my dollar - want to keep the price below $500 if possible. Would a 2x12 even make that much of a difference?

We're playing late 60s uncle acid type garage doom stuff. Amp is set to dirty and raped by a fuzz pedal sometimes.

Mr. Foxen

2x12 with equivalent or louder speakers will be louder. Looks like the Private jack is a pretty sensitive speaker though. 2x12 vertical will make most direccerence, higher and closer to your ears, that helps. Shouldn't be too hard to find a 2x12 box, or even make one.

zachoff

...and 18W isn't going to get super loud, anyway.  What do the other guys in the band play through?  I'm thinking you'll need a 4x12 or a more powerful head.

Ombrenuit

The bass player is playing through a hartke 100w. I'm trying to persuade him to upgrade. If he was playing through anything louder I doubt I'd be heard.

There's a Marshall jcm1960A with g12t-75s on Craigslist in my price range. Would that be worth getting? I'm not a big fan of scooped speakers.

Ombrenuit

Alternatively there's a 2x12 g12-t75 Rivera closed back for $350. I'm not familiar with those cabs, but aren't they good?

Mr. Foxen

VOLVO)))

Cant go wrong with either. Id go for the Marshall. The 75s are good speakers, no doubt.

Oli Foxen - "He's from England, what more can I say?" :-D
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dunwichamps

im not super found of 75s, i think 65s are nicer. Whether they be clones or originals.

Ranbat

Or, instead of spending a bunch of money, do you guys have a PA? Have you tried putting a mic in front of your amp and pumping it through the PA? Just a thought.
Meh :/

dunwichamps

could just pony up for a big 100W.

liquidsmoke

18 tube watts could be loud enough with enough speakers if you don't mind extra gain from the amp breaking up.

Check these guys out, I have their 2x12 diagonal slant-

http://www.stagecraftgear.com/servlet/the-template/products/Page

dunwichamps

18W will work if your bassist and or other guitarist scale with you but if the other guy is rocking a 100W on guitar or a giant bass rig ur fucked

mawso

micing it up is prolly the cheapest & easiest thing to do, depending on where you jam

closed back cabs will prob sound a lot better for the type of music you're doing tho

whether a 2x12 will be loud enough enough is impossible to say.  GT-75s are great sounding speakers if you can dial em in right - you usually need to throw in some extra mids and tame the highs on em.. if your amp has a TMB tone stack that's not very difficult to do.  IMO tho the 75s are probably a definite step down from your Private Jack, which is one of my fave speakers ever.

Ombrenuit

I think I'll go with the Rivera and replace / sell the speakers with what's on sale at avatar right now. I'll also talk to my builder and see what he can do about "upgrading" my 18w to a 30w+.

dunwichamps

that would most likely require a lot of work, new PT, OT, 2 more tube sockets.

Ombrenuit

Ah. Thanks for the heads up. I'd pay for the new transformers and sockets, but if it's like putting together a new head I'll just hold out to get something new built in the future.