Fu Manchu - Gigantoid

Started by CanookieWookie, April 29, 2014, 11:49:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Metal and Beer

Hode up y0.....you bought CD after all that? A band best beat my ass from the stage before I pony up for a record.....not sayin' just sayin'
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

deleted account

actually, I bought the cd before all that.  only cuz Disastroid put me on the list, too.  after buying the cd I still came out $2 ahead on the deal.  btw, when I mentioned to the merch guy that "this dude on stonerrock" said the new one is better than King Of The Road, he goes, "oh, it totally is!  and I don't even like Fu Manchu!"

???

black

At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

CanookieWookie

whoshotthefrog

The new album is definitely an upgrade over the past few albums.
If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

http://whoshotthefrog.tumblr.com/

http://www.instagram.com/whoshotthefrog/

Ryno

It's been stuck on repeat in the Subaru of sludge for over a month now.  I can say, with confidence, that this is their best shit in 5 albums.  I'm all about "In Search Of" and "Action is Go" in terms of favorite Fu.  "King of the Road" had a few killer tracks, but that's where they started fizzling out for me.  This isn't a return to old and they're not breaking new ground.  The Fu is like AC/DC as in they do one thing and they do it well.  The production on this one is extremely solid, while still retaining a loose feel.  Love the sci-fi overtones, the shifting drum rolls, and the distinctive tones coming from Scott and Bob growling and roaring through the left and right channels.  They definitely take advantage of the ster-E-o on this one.

What it comes down to is that these guys have stuck to their guns for 20 years.  Even with lineup changes, experimenting with new gear, new directions, attitude, content, and all kinds of other shit, they never strayed too far from the original formula.  The last few albums had some really good stuff on them but they didn't feel cohesive.  This one is they one they've wanted to make for years.  It fires on all cylinders, the groove is there, the solos are radical, the drumming is over the top and the whole thing is just plain ol' fun.
If a bear shits in the woods, should I have a cocktail?

The Bandit

It's ok, but doesn't do much for me. Last album with songs I can remember is California Crossing.

Ryno

Was your favorite Metallica album the one where they played with the symphony?  S&M?
If a bear shits in the woods, should I have a cocktail?

VOLVO)))

And Justice for All obviously.

Dead serious.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RacerX

Is there anything that beats Sensei vs. Sensei off the We Must Obey album?

That's about the best relatively recent Fu song I can think of...
Livin' The Life.

The Shocker

Breathing Fire & Planet Of The Ape Hangers are the most recent that I've loved.

The Shocker

Quote from: SunnO))) on July 02, 2014, 10:43:32 AM
And Justice for All obviously.

Dead serious.

Did we discuss this or do you just know me that well?

VOLVO)))

No, we just agree because it's true.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

berrugal

shift thru damensions
has lost control
damension shifter
oh noooo

been listening to this on the car, 8 in the morning on the gigantic traffic jam, switching lanes out of the city.
You get out easy

elimaneision!

and theres one smooth long jam in some song in the middle that's simple and beautiful: the last question... and is that a violin in the chorus ?_

Regarding the map, we are lost

Andrew Blakk

I was so unexcited about this one for a long time. But I find myself listning to it quite frequently. It's good!

deleted account

finally listened to this on the way back from Vegas.  well done production-wise.  good drum sound/ playing.  overall, not bad.

overall, not great either.  all riffs, no hooks.  doesn't hold a candle to AIG or KotR