Pallbearer-Sorrow and Extinction

Started by Dr. Skeeter, February 29, 2012, 02:37:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Skeeter

This is really how modern doom metal should be played. Interesting riffs, great arrangements, sorrowful/spacey vocals, and a thick as fuck sound. It sounds modern, but in only the good ways. I can hear everything that's going on, but the tone is analog and warm. Amazing hooks. I saw these cats live the other day and they blew me away. Buy this.

sleestak

Killing threads is my business and business is good.

GodShifter

If it's even half as good as the demo thing, then I'll love it.

sleestak

You won't be disappointed.  It's great!
Killing threads is my business and business is good.

bitter

I can't get into the vocals. I hope they start growing on me. I feel the same way about some of the newer YOB vocals as well as parts of Asunder's (RIP) vocals. :-\

Everything else is solid though. Get arrangements, riffs, and atmosphere. Nothing is over-the-top or overdone.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

VOLVO)))

If you don't immediately love that dude's voice you got issues.

YOB's vocals fucking kill, and Asunder, by all accounts WAS the best doom band to ever touch this planet... until this album came out.

Just sayin'.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Dunedin

Quote from: SunnO))) on March 18, 2012, 02:40:42 AM
If you don't immediately love that dude's voice you got issues.

YOB's vocals fucking kill, and Asunder, by all accounts WAS the best doom band to ever touch this planet... until this album came out.

Just sayin'.
Yeah, i love Mike' vocals when they're all shrill and high pitched. The singer in Pallbearer has a great voice also, it totally sits with the music.

Lemur Demands Back Scratches!

bitter

I wouldn't say its the tone of these bands vocals, because I generally dig that. There are times when vocals get dragged out with the slow tempos that just doesn't sound organic to me.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Dr. Skeeter

This album is fucking amazing to me. It's like all of the best elements of trad doom, peaceville death/doom, and psych prog thrown into one. I feel guilty for liking new releases more than all of the classics, but this is really better than all of the classics.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: zackled on March 19, 2012, 04:11:03 AM
This album is fucking amazing to me. It's like all of the best elements of trad doom, peaceville death/doom, and psych prog thrown into one. I feel guilty for liking new releases more than all of the classics, but this is really better than all of the classics.

It's got everything. It's the shit. I listen to it at least once a day.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

GeeZa

I'm liking this a lot. The middle song is a bit meandering but the others are top class. One of the riffs on "An Offering of Grief" is just one of the best I've heard in absolutely ages. Goes to show what a good vocalist, some harmonies and some well thought-out hooks can do for a band. Definitely elevates them above the ordinary and into "could go far" territory. They are genuinely heavy too, like it's a natural sound and not forced like I hear with some bands. I love it when records kinda come out of nowhere like this. Very very impressed.

MichaelZodiac

The more I listen the better it gets, truly great. They deserve every bit of attention they're getting imo.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

acrimony

This band is awesome, hopefully I get to see them in May!!!!!!!!

VOLVO)))

So, I learned never to listen to reviews by "The Needle Drop" on youtube. I need to know if dude has ever been in a band in his life, he said they basically blow their load in the first two songs, and the rest were just filler. Fuck that clown. If you post here, homie, nothing against you, but you're wrong. Just sayin'.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Dr. Skeeter

Yeah, that's just his opinion though. He writes that on every review. I love this album and I also <3 TND.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: zackled on April 23, 2012, 12:20:34 AM
Yeah, that's just his opinion though. He writes that on every review. I love this album and I also <3 TND.

He's got a dumb opinion, and he's a fucking tool.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Dr. Skeeter

I,Galactus

Finally picked up a copy of this.  Blasting it on headphones as the sun fails to rise through a thunderstorm.  Soooo fucking good.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

MichaelZodiac

So I hadn't listened to this record in a month, revisited it and it still retains as much of the impact it had on me when I first listened to it. Truly the best album to come out in 2012 so far.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

tattooedsean

Totally different cds but I am so glad I added the new Gaza and Pallbearer cds to my collection this week!! 8)

acrimony

Love this album and so pissed i am missing them tonight because of a work trip! But this album rules!

SkyWhale

Normally I'm not the biggest fan of the slower stuff but I can appreciate this album. I'm also not the biggest fan of the vocals either but they certainly aren't terrible or made me turn them off. Pretty solid stuff in my opinion.

Mr. Blue

I have this, but I have not really invested as much time in it as I should.  Mostly put it on as back ground music.  I like what I have noticed so far though.
3 reasons why James said that his Black Sabbath record was important:
"First it scared the shit out of me. Second, it crushed the fuck out of all the peace'n'love'n everything's groovy bullshit that was still hanging around in the early seventies. And third, my friends moms wouldn't let them own it

Demon Lung

Quote from: Mr. Blue on March 14, 2013, 11:31:40 AM
I have this, but I have not really invested as much time in it as I should.  Mostly put it on as back ground music.  I like what I have noticed so far though.
you need to go ahead and invest time into it. One of the 3 best records from last year

JemDooM

I also love this record, it does seem to get better with each listen too, I honestly thought they were British the first time I heard it it sounds so bleak, yep, love love love it! Im so psyched about seeing them in June...
DooM!