The Gates of Slumber-Stormcrow

Started by Dr. Skeeter, February 07, 2013, 10:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Skeeter

Anyone listen to it yet? It's available for free from Scion AV, i'm a pretty big fan of these guys, their first album especially. I'm gonna spin it tonight though

http://www.scionav.com/collection/1329/The-Gates-of-Slumber---Stormcrow

Dylan Thomas

I liked Conqueror and Hymns Of Blood And Thunder quite a bit, how does this EP stack up with those two releases?
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

Dr. Skeeter

Bought to find out son. I met these guys when they played here a year and a half ago with Premonition 13. They were like weird stoned as fuck. It was kinda awkward.

Dr. Skeeter

Definitely a doomy affair. More like their first LP. Nothing stood out in any crazy way but i'll keep listening. The way I like em

Dunedin

I have The Conqueror and The Wretch, both good solid doom, if a bit workmanlike. I'll give this a listen tonight when I get home.
Lemur Demands Back Scratches!

MichaelZodiac

I love The Wretch (the album before this EP), it was my classic doom record of 2011. It seems I have 1 of those every year so I was excited to hear new work from them. Clyde Cool isn't in the band anymore apparently? That's a shame because I very much liked his drumming on The Wretch. The recording was done by Sanford Parker and it's good, maybe a bit too modern? This is just personal taste but if you're a power trio, be a power trio and leave out the rhythm tracks if you play a solo. Still overall, classic doom like the way it's supposed to be.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

theyeti85

It's a good EP, nothing too mind blowing, but solid enough to hold you over until the next full length. The first track in particular is kind of weird (in a good way), sounds like it could have been on Eyehategod's Take as Needed for Pain. These guys are one of my favorite bands going today.

Dylan Thomas

I couldn't get into The Wretch, a couple tracks I liked, otherwise it bored me to death and didn't stick.  I was hoping since they did this EP with Sanford, it would be more like Conqueror and Hymns, which he also produced.

Oh well, since it's free, I'll check it out.

Dylan Thomas

Okay, I dig it.  The production sounds great, the guitar and bass tones are massive, and the vocals really shine.  The songs are solid.  Good EP, definitely will tide me over until the next album.