J O K E R

Started by Jor el, October 09, 2019, 11:09:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lumpy

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

mortlock

i just saw it and i thought it was awesome. phoenix kills it as the joker. the only thing weird to me now is that the joker is way older than batman. i didnt expect that kind of timeline.

Muffin Man

Never really saw these flicks in general. Seems goofy.

whoshotthefrog

Finally saw this yesterday. Really liked it and it was extremely violent especially the scene when his clown buddies came over his apartment.

Arthur Fleck - "Knock-Knock"
Murray Freeman -  "Who's there"
Arthur Fleck - "It's the police, m'am! Your son's been hit by a drunk driver. He's dead."

If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive they would eventually find me attractive.

http://whoshotthefrog.tumblr.com/

http://www.instagram.com/whoshotthefrog/

retardgroove

The more I think about this movie, the more I don't like it.

juan11

Just saw it.  He's good in it, I mean he does dark and weird well in any role, but the movie is no Taxi Driver.
srl = advancing our core selves in the spirit to be best

Jor el

He was a Comedian.

He was doing Comedy.

What Would Scooby Do ?

Lumpy

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

Josh

Quote from: Josh on October 09, 2019, 03:37:23 PM
Q: If I've seen The King of Comedy and Taxi Driver is there any reason for me to go see this?

A: Now that I've seen Joker, I can answer that it's worth seeing if you want to see a fawning homage to those films. 

Dylan Thomas

This is really accurate and poignant:

"Where to even begin with this one? It's an epically stupid movie. I guess that's where to end. Should I start with its bafflingly dangerous and irresponsible depiction of mental illness? I'm not talking about the discourse about whether or not the film could incite violence—I assume we'll touch on that later—I'm referring to the way it centers a narrative on a troubled loner who suffers from some sort of unspecified psychosis, whose acts of violence escalate as he stops taking his medication, his mental state deteriorates, and he seizes a narrative that the world has turned its back on him. When there's already such stigma and misrepresentation about mental illness, the implied correlation between his mental state, medication, and extreme violence is outrageous." - Kevin Fallon
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

sleestak

Meh, who cares?  It's about Batman's enemy and anyone who doesn't know that is a retard.
Killing threads is my business and business is good.

Jor el

He was a Comedian

He was doing Comedy

What Would Scooby Do ?

Lumpy

renfield

Quote from: Dylan Thomas on February 15, 2020, 12:03:16 PM

"Where to even begin with this one? It's an epically stupid movie. I guess that's where to end. Should I start with its bafflingly dangerous and irresponsible depiction of mental illness? I'm not talking about the discourse about whether or not the film could incite violence—I assume we'll touch on that later—I'm referring to the way it centers a narrative on a troubled loner who suffers from some sort of unspecified psychosis, whose acts of violence escalate as he stops taking his medication, his mental state deteriorates, and he seizes a narrative that the world has turned its back on him. When there's already such stigma and misrepresentation about mental illness, the implied correlation between his mental state, medication, and extreme violence is outrageous." - Kevin Fallon

If this is accurate about JOKER then it's accurate about A BEAUTIFUL MIND and basically every other movie that portrays mental illness I can think of. I think a fairer criticism would be something like "JOKER captures the general anxiety and increasing desperation of the lower class but by using mental illness in a general and unspecific way it inadvertently promotes certain stigmas that contradict the film's overall point and moral center, which is clearly on the side of the marginalized and downtrodden."

Clearly the film's heart is in the right place and the general argument that we should take care of the less fortunate among us is not something you would disagree with?

Jor el

It is impossible for You People to enjoy things.

Got it.

What Would Scooby Do ?

renfield

I liked JOKER quite a bit.

Jor el

There was one unnecessary thing I would change.

What Would Scooby Do ?

CanookieWookie

It was a good movie. 

CanookieWookie

Quote from: Jor el on February 16, 2020, 02:03:59 PM

There was one unnecessary thing I would change.

Which is?

Jor el

[spoiler]No need for the flashback montage showing that he had no relationship with Sophie[/spoiler]

What Would Scooby Do ?

renfield

CanookieWookie

Personally I didn't mind that, but I do see your point.

Dylan Thomas

Quote from: renfield on February 16, 2020, 01:15:50 PM
Quote from: Dylan Thomas on February 15, 2020, 12:03:16 PM

"Where to even begin with this one? It's an epically stupid movie. I guess that's where to end. Should I start with its bafflingly dangerous and irresponsible depiction of mental illness? I'm not talking about the discourse about whether or not the film could incite violence—I assume we'll touch on that later—I'm referring to the way it centers a narrative on a troubled loner who suffers from some sort of unspecified psychosis, whose acts of violence escalate as he stops taking his medication, his mental state deteriorates, and he seizes a narrative that the world has turned its back on him. When there's already such stigma and misrepresentation about mental illness, the implied correlation between his mental state, medication, and extreme violence is outrageous." - Kevin Fallon

If this is accurate about JOKER then it's accurate about A BEAUTIFUL MIND and basically every other movie that portrays mental illness I can think of. I think a fairer criticism would be something like "JOKER captures the general anxiety and increasing desperation of the lower class but by using mental illness in a general and unspecific way it inadvertently promotes certain stigmas that contradict the film's overall point and moral center, which is clearly on the side of the marginalized and downtrodden."

Clearly the film's heart is in the right place and the general argument that we should take care of the less fortunate among us is not something you would disagree with?

A Beautiful Mind is actually a lot worse on this count, specifically because it was getting off the heavy psych drugs and developing other ways to cope with his voices was what happened in real life.

In the movie, Nash says it was new developments in drugs that made the voices go away, which is blatantly erroneous and at odds with science itself. This is especially dangerous because it disguises itself as biography.

I believe if we are going to care about those who are less fortunate, then we shouldn't promote messages that are false and perpetuate dangerous stigmas about those who are less fortunate.
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

sleestak

In biopics of Batman supervillains.   Got it.
Killing threads is my business and business is good.