The Whisky thread

Started by tossom, September 29, 2011, 07:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

libertycaps

"Slecky," eh? Okay. I can add that to my Single Malt snob vocabulary.
Thanks, mate! And be safe tonight......i'm stayin' in meself.

tossom

Quote from: libertycaps on January 01, 2012, 04:57:10 PM
"Slecky," eh? Okay. I can add that to my Single Malt snob vocabulary.
Thanks, mate! And be safe tonight......i'm stayin' in meself.

I too am staying in, too ill and old to venture out.  Haha.  As far as I know "slecky" is just a colloquial Orcadian word meaning "oily" , could well have the origin and spelling wrong though.  But yeh, the new highland park 12 does leave an oily sheen in the mouth.  Happy new year and all the best for 2012 sir.
"Beige rock"

libertycaps

I can see how the Ardbeg 10 could put off many neophyte whisky drinkers. Try adding one or two small rocks and swirl between sips if it does. Cuts the heavy iodine and peat and lets the esters really bloom...but you do lose alot of the other subtle notes. This is one of the few whiskys that i think is as good or better after adding a splash of water or ice. Damn, i love Scotch! :)

khoomeizhi

gonna be ardbeg for me this year on my birthday. last time was laphroaig. sadly, a one islay per year budget.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

Fuhgawz

tossom

For fans of smokey whisky - Isle of Jura "Prophecy".

Seriously heavily peated, bit stronger at 46% too.  Meant to be a mix of older Jura malts.  Powerful stuff!
"Beige rock"

libertycaps

When i bought it, i figured it'd either be love it or hate it. It's love.
In fact, it's my fave bol-VINNEY expression thus far.

Volume

I usually go for the smokey Islays, but right now this is one of my favorites:

Very smooth, but also full-bodied and rich. Has a nice sweetness too.

mortlock

what does anyone know about whisky gravy..ever have it ? ever make it ?? i want to try it, might be good on the haggis im getting in a few weeks..

Jor el

My bro makes a bourbon gravy every thanksgiving.
Good shit.

Anybody know anything aboot Elijah Craig?
I ain't never tried it.

Woodford Reserve has a new, costly, double barrel.
What Would Scooby Do ?

I,Galactus

Quote from: Jor el on June 14, 2012, 03:45:04 PM
Anybody know anything aboot Elijah Craig?
I ain't never tried it.

High end heaven hill, eh?  Never had it either.  I did have some Basil Hayden's not too long ago, though (big bucks Beam).  Scary smooth, that stuff.  I find I need a little kick to slow me down.

Speaking of cooking and bourbon, I'm thinking about making a ham with no holidays on the horizon just to make this glaze again:

3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup spicy brown mustard
2 tablespoons bourbon

Highly recommended.  Also drinking plenty of bourbon while glazing helps the process along.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

mutantcolors

I did read somewhere that June 14 is National Bourbon Day, so there's that excuse.

Jor el

I almost picked up a 22 yr old Elijah Craig last night.

Anywho -
Cheers!
What Would Scooby Do ?

Desertblues

Quote from: tossom on March 30, 2012, 04:14:29 PM

For fans of smokey whisky - Isle of Jura "Prophecy".

Seriously heavily peated, bit stronger at 46% too.  Meant to be a mix of older Jura malts.  Powerful stuff!

Man I need to hunt this down.  Been a fan of Superstition for a few years.

mortlock

i got sick on crown royal and beer and scotch one night..it was horrific..and violent..

tossom

I am happy to confirm that the new Islay distillery, Kilchoman, is pleasantly drinkable.

Got a bottle of the "Machir bay" expression which is a vatting of 3, 4 and 5 year old malts.

A fair kick of peat to start with, it in fact reeks of it! ;D  Tastes pretty fiery to start with too but mellows to taste pretty sweet. 
"Beige rock"

tossom

Forgot to add this back in May, bought this bottle to toast the arrival of my 3rd son Benjamin - who is sitting on my knee as I type.

Glendronach 12

A guy I know who used to work at the Highland Park Distillery, plus who is valued a member of the local whisky club, had told me he thought that the 12 year old Glendronach was the best Speyside you could get for under £40.  He was not wrong.

For my tastebuds, it was sort of like a Macallan but well different :D  Not too heavyily peated, not overly sweet but very rich - can taste oak and sherry. 
"Beige rock"

NCR600

I'm a bit beer'ed out, and pretty fucked off by the week I've had, so I'm making serious inroads towards polishing off a bottle of 15yo Laphroaig and a bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail I bought as a birthday present to myself last year.
The Laphroaig is eminently drinkable, more so than their younger offerings, but oh my lord the Uigeadail is full on. Really peaty, smoky and salty. I'm finding it a bit tough ( in a good way) to get through neat. Just what I need to wash the taste of this week out of my mouth.