Spaghetti & Meatballs...

Started by mertzy, February 13, 2013, 09:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mertzy

Haven't made it in years...making the meatballs...probably buying the sauce.....suggestions....recipes??

Lumpy

Breadcrumbs in the meatballs. That's the secret to juicy meatballs.

I've only made gravy from canned tomatoes, never from fresh. I usually say fuck it, and doctor up a jarred sauce. Sometimes I don't even doctor it. I don't spend a whole day cooking too often, and if I do, it's something else, not pasta sauce.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

mortlock

get some plain jarred sauce..barilla is good stuff. get the barilla tomato and basil. simmer it on the stove.
the secret is in the meatballs..first get good meatballs made with pork beef and veal..mix with bread crumbs like lumpy said..id recommend seasoned breadcrumbs. brown them in olive oil..dump entire contents of frying pan into sauce..simmer..

Lumpy

In Goodfellas, they would slice the garlic paper-thin with a razor blade, so it would totally blend into the sauce (when they all went to prison). You've got time for that, right?

mortlock

MichaelZodiac

Mix minced meat is indeed better. I usually do 1 raw egg with the meat and then I add the breadcrumbs until it's drier (how much depends on the meat and personal preference, blabla). Do this in a large mixing bowl, add spices (salt and pepper are a given, experiment with others) and mix with your hands. No machine BS.

We have Barilla sauce here in Europe, I use that too but use a couple of fresh tomatoes as well. As of course onions, garlic, parsley (at the end) and again whatever you would like in terms of spices.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

Demon Lung

This whole thread should be a crime

MichaelZodiac

I don't get the spaghetti part though? If you want to use spaghetti, make a bolognese sauce. Meatballs with fries or potatoes is a winner.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

Demon Lung

Quote from: MichaelZodiac on February 14, 2013, 06:09:20 AMIf you want to use spaghetti, make a bolognese sauce.
words of wisdom. It's really isn't difficult at all. You could let it cook for 2 hours while you sit on your couch and it will taste better and be better for you than the prepared crap in a can

I,Galactus

http://riffrocklives.com/forum/index.php?topic=4644.msg176122#msg176122

There's a recipe over there with instructions to modify it for the slow cooker.  I've enjoyed this preparation several times since then.  Leftover meatball sandwiches on garlic bread is where it's at.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

yeezuz

i've never made meat balls before, would they still be tasty if i made them from a meat mix with no beef or veal? i guess pork and turkey could do the trick.

I,Galactus

Straight turkey would be too dry, but the pork should help it stick it together if you keep it 50/50.

Italian sausage would work well too.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

Demon Lung

Quote from: xina on February 14, 2013, 10:18:46 AM
i've never made meat balls before, would they still be tasty if i made them from a meat mix with no beef or veal? i guess pork and turkey could do the trick.
real meatballs have the mix

yeezuz

Lumpy

You're not supposed to over-work your meatballs (or meatloaf, or hamburger). Just handle them the minimum amount you can get away with (if you knead the heck out of them, they get tougher).

If they are going to take a beating, you might want them a little tough...

Chovie D

grandma Circelli would throw in a rack of ribs and some sausages into the pot of sauce along with the meatballs, let it cook in the sauce till the meat falls off the bones. lots of wine.

mortlock

ive never had it, but it sounds amazing, and complicated to make..

mertzy

It was easier than I thought...so worth it!