Pesto!

Started by JemDooM, March 07, 2013, 05:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JemDooM

so any of you guys make your own pesto? I'm looking for new ideas of combinations and more stuff to do with it other than pasta....

I made this awesome pesto loads recently I'll post pics tmoz it's awesomely green! it goes like this...

Rocket
Walnuts
Garlic
Soft goats cheese
Olive oil
Black pepper
Sea salt

Blended into a smooth paste, I made it with broad beans instead of rocket too which is delicious!

I wanna make one with sundried tomatoes soon, I'm thinking with feta and Brazil nuts...

The only other thing I do with pesto is fill big mushrooms with it and bake em yum!

wooo photos!!

DooM!

khoomeizhi

we make pesto with basil fairly frequently in the summer, and then there's the ones made from wild-harvested stuff like ramps & chickweed, or wood nettle shoots. springtime superfood. always with garlic and good fats (olive oil and crushed nuts)...marinate good grilling meat in it for a couple days before grilling? awesome.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

MadJohnShaft

You can sub the pine nuts with walnuts and add in spinach to bulk it up. Freeze.
Some days chickens, some days feathers

mortlock

im hot and cold with pesto..mostly cold. id rather dip bread in it than put it over pasta..

JemDooM

Oh yeah I forgot the olive oil! ;)

Pesto marinated meat sounds awesome mmmm....
DooM!

MichaelZodiac

I'm not big on rocket pesto but like the basil one very much. I add a mild chili (no seeds) for some heat. Black olive pesto is great on pasta as well.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

I,Galactus

Sunflower seeds make a good a good substitute for pine nuts if you're super cheap like me.  Never tried rocket pesto or walnuts; sounds interesting. 

Fresh basil and lots of parmigiano reggiano is where it's at for me.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

MadJohnShaft

Do sunflower seeds chop up enough?  They are nice and oily but seems like they would remain whole. I will try it.
Some days chickens, some days feathers

I,Galactus

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on March 08, 2013, 07:50:28 PM
Do sunflower seeds chop up enough?  They are nice and oily but seems like they would remain whole. I will try it.

Immersion blender is your friend.

Edit:  Or food processor.  Whatevs.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

JemDooM

I think the sunflower seeds would be nicer whole, nice n crunchy, I'll try that asap yum!
DooM!

RAGER

Last week I made linguine and spicy sausage with a scallion and parsley pesto.  Super good.  nice and bright.
No Focus Pocus

JemDooM

That sounds nice n fresh rager...

How about a pesto with fresh peppermint leaves? Itd be nice as a pasta side dish with something...
DooM!

RAGER

Yeah it's a cool combo.  Not sure how i feel about mint in a hot pasta dish.  maybe chilled or room temp though.  I'd try it.
No Focus Pocus

deleted account

the hell is rocket?

khoomeizhi

arugula, dude. aka roquette.
let's dispense the unpleasantries