Shopping 1x12 cabs, input please.

Started by dogfood, March 11, 2020, 08:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogfood

I'm looking for a 1x12 cab.  It must have an Eminence Wizard speaker so the price of a used cab and new speaker may not hold up versus a new cab with the speaker factory.  Who is the go to low price king these days?  Is Avatar still the reigning champ?  How are the Seismic cabs?  What's a cheap bastard to do?
Problem solving whiskey!

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

socket

Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.

RAGER

shut the fuck up. We're talking guitar gear.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

75 watt speaker is headroom... I have a 1x12 Avatar with a 125 watt Eminence Lil' Texas speaker in it. I am not afraid to use a 100 watt amp with it.

I've been looking at the Seismic cabinets too, for my friend with a bad back who wants a lightweight cab like mine (the Lil Texas only weighs 5 pounds, the whole cabinet weighs like 25 pounds altogether). Seismic cabs seem fine (?) I am looking at the open-back, cube shaped boxes (less interested in shallow cabinets which will have less bass response - bigger box is more better). Open back cab isn't as good for focused metal "chug" but it's louder than a closed back cab (unless you are directly in front of the closed back speaker, then it's the same, I think). On Ebay, the empty Seismic cabinet is $149 shipped (or $119 if you buy the orange one). Then buy the speaker separately, that's what I would do. My Avatar cabinet is the cube shape (no longer made in that style) and it's been great for me.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Lumpy

dogfood

I bought a 4x12 from Instant Dan, it was loaded with Wizards, and I lurve that cab.  So, Wizards it shall be.

Why does anyone buy a 1x12 when they have a perfectly good 4x12?  For carrying to practice and playing in your house. 

The amp is a Traynor bass master yba-1 formerly 45 watts with el34s but with a bias mod and 6550s it'll be pushing a wee bit more.  And, I just bought a thd attenuator to help out with the volume issue.  I desperately need a barn out in the country so I can play at proper volumes, sadz.
Problem solving whiskey!

RAGER

What you need is my 1x12 for your Traynor cuz it's a Yorkville. But I only have a Greenback in it. I only run my VHT 6 watt or my 18 watt reel to reel amp through it.
No Focus Pocus

dogfood

Problem solving whiskey!

Lumpy

You can roll your own for like $250. Cheaper than buying from Avatar.

dogfood

Avatar has upped their game from the old days.  They have a nice ported 1x12 JBL design, a 3D Forte replica, and the basic is a convertible open/closed back.  They should get props for evolving into a nice cab building company.  But that Seismic Cube is cheap!
Problem solving whiskey!