Holiday recipes

Started by renfield, November 12, 2018, 09:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muffin Man

yikes. poor duck. whelp that gonna hurt @11.

renfield

RAGER you got any technique advice for roasting a duck? some people are saying to pour boiling water over it first and that will help crisp up the skin. that seems kinda wack to me though, what do you think?

Muffin Man

Quote from: renfield on November 24, 2021, 01:51:54 PM
Hope she feels better, D

I bought a duck, never cooked one before.

That's neat your braving it, let us know! I really want to try cooking one. (sou vide just popped in my mind) and looked at one again in the freezer aisle, but don't know the first thing about how to prepare it, first thing being how to thaw it. Those things are hard as granite and have been sitting there for 2 months. I sure love Chinese style soupd and BBQ. If I can procure a good duck I'll buy a sou vide device and go to town with it.

Muffin Man

another idea is a "la caja china" box.

ed. random video but looks like a nice result
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmY-WN7ngT0

"steam 90 minutes" yeah!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw0bt_2D6BI

socket

Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.

mortlock

in case anyone was wondering, she went for the cream of mushroom. im happy she seems to be feeling better. for now. later i will be having my thanksgiving salami sandwich. i might even post a pic.

Muffin Man

that's good news. and its a lovely soup, one of the best.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Method for these taters.

Slice about a pound thin on a mandolin. Do not rinse. Immerse directly in a raw cream sauce if heavy cream, minced garlic, salt, thyme, white or black pepper, and onion powder for a few minutes.

Line your small baking dish with buttered parchment paper. Layer all your taters one layer at a time like a gratin with pecorino on top of each layer until done. Pour some f the extra sauce over the whole thing.

Add another layer of parchments and cover with foil and bake a 350 for 70 minutes or so.

When it's cool add some weight of some and fridge overnight until you're ready for the next step.

My weight method.

Pull it all apart and invert.

Cut off edges to square up and cut into portions.

Fry in cast iron with butter to look like first pic.

No Focus Pocus

renfield

I never posted the results but the T-day duck was a sensation. Skin looks burnt but it's really just the balsamic glaze getting dark as fuck. Tender and delicious.

I want to do it again for Christmas. Instead of Peking though they have Muscovy ducks at the butcher. Aren't those supposed to be touch and stringy?

I also got some pheasants!

RAGER

That's odd since Pekin are the preferred. Muscovy are bred for foie. I'm sure there's a use but I don't do much with whole ducks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

WOW! Nice duck, ren. I looked at the frozen aisle again yesterday and wondered how yours came out. I really need a fresh one. Nice job on that duck and fixin's, ren!!

Those layered potatoes are incredilbe, RAGER. I gotta try that sometime.

RAGER

I would totes destroy that duck skin.

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Xmas eve we'll be resuming the Swedish tradition for my wife's side of the family. On the menu like every other time will be

Palt or klub or what other name it's called. Ick

Meatballs in sauce. Yum

Potato sausage. Bland but ok with mustard.

I will contribute by making Smorgastarta and brunkal
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

I love swedish meatballs. Make sure you get pics.

RAGER

I will. Check out some pics of smorgastarta. Super cool looking. Imma make a small one cuz I don't think anybody else will want it.

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Go large! Knock em out. Would like to see pics of that! Oh wait, is that a ranch spread on those?

RAGER

Smorgastarta

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

whoa, that looks decadent!

RAGER

A bit yes. Rye bread, lots of mayo, crème fraiche, sour cream, shrimp, lox, ham, eggs, dill, cukes, tomatoes, and lemon.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

a triumph. I've got to make one.

RAGER

Getting out of doing anything really this thanksgiving. No real plans. Nobody coming over to cook for so....  I've got a friend who owns a couple great bars/pubs. Every year he has people come to one of the locations for a fucking free for all. We're considering the that but I'm not sure Kellie's into it so I'll probably just cook for us.

Last year she won a raffle at work for a whole precooked smoked turkey that weighs like 20 lbs at least I think. Well it's been hogging up the whole damn freezer drawer and I need to do something with it. Good excuse to thaw and portion that thing I guess.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Pre portioned.

No Focus Pocus