Bread!

Started by NCR600, March 18, 2012, 07:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

Were we at on this bread thing? 

Might make a batch of hoagie rolls tomorrow.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

I have a starter working now.  Took about 6 days, but it's active now.  

I'm thinking about what to make next.   I had a meatball sub yesterday that made me think "I'm going to do this, my way".  Of course it starts with the bread.  
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

Also, i got dome rye and semolina flour to mess with.   Threw some semolina in the starter.  
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Bread day!  Or hoagie rolls at least.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Got in a hurry so they're kinda misshapen.

Everything bagel seasoning.

No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Everything bagel seasoning is good on... well you know. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Griddled ham, mortadella, melted provolone, hot olive and giardinera antipasto, pickled mustard seed olive
oil mayo garden fresh lettuces on my homemade
garlic butter toasted everything bagel seeded hoagie Roll

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

crikey mate that's gorgeousmort

RAGER

It wasn't too shabby. Down to my last hoagie. Gonna try really hard on the next ones to shorten and bulk them a bit. Make them a little squatter and round.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

tbh I'm kinda jealous of those/your home made hoagies rolls. I did pickup a sleeve of boiled bagels everything bagel seasoned. Also just pulled a bake at home out of the oven just now, everything bagel seasoned batard, but its wheat, and I already know it'll be meh because yuk wheat. but will saturate it with olive oil, my usual trick that mainly serves as an oil delivery medium so I'm totally set. Oh yeah, might soak some of the batard in avocado oil and see how that goes. Can't lose. Also have some sourdough english muffins from a local boutique. I'll get a pic up as to how I toast it, butter,  parm regg and, re-toast. Works like a charm.

RAGER

Oh yeah. That one in from the left. Perfection.

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

the third one from the left is the best. browned sides. although it might be the ugly duckling I think it has character worth noting.

RAGER

On my house made hoagie rolls. New York style cooked red sauce, proprietary PNW Provel mix, spicy Italian sausage, pepperoni, rosemary infused ricotta, olive giardinera, garden lettuce. Bada Fuk bing.
Ehyoo!!

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

that would sell well

RAGER

It was super tasty but a bit rich. I'll probably have heartburn. We each had half.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

I don't get heartburn per se but dollgarn I've been enjoying various local buttermilk. Its seems to settle things down even though I'll top it with chili sauce, a spot of sriracha. I'd 100% serve it with that sandwich.

RAGER

Buttermilk is a magic serum.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

I've found a meat market here with really good prices on deli meat and wings.  I bought 18lbs of wings, 1/2lb of each salami, pepperoni and oven roasted turkey for $34 after tax. Then was told I could get a case of wings for .99/lb, so the next day I went back and got it.  34lbs.  

The deli meats are at least 1/2 price vs the grocery store.  

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

5 day ferment pizza tonight. 232 gram balls for approximately 8-9" pizzas.

One will be a white pie the other will be a sausage pepperoni giardiniera type number. Oh yeah gotta make sausage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Two small pies tonight. First is white sauce (béchamel with pecorino and garlic) olive oil rosemary marinated paper thin slices Yukon gold taters, corn, red onion.

Turned out very nice

House made fennel sausage, pepperoni, red sauce, red onion, mozzarella, pecorino and olive

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Experimenting with the autolyse method. Seems most of the methods mentioned in recipes and the videos I've watched all skip over this and just do a hydration with all ingredients, initial rest then knead.

It's supposed to help with gluten and general dough strength along with improved flavor. The factors are length of autolyse from 1/2 hour to an hour being the norm but extending to a couple days at room temp.

This batch I did at about 68% hydration fir an hour. I kneaded in the stand mixer for 5 minutes on stir, covered in the stand bowl for 15 then mixed again for another 5. Covered and will ferment in fridge for 2-4 days. These will be for flatbreads to be stored parcooked in the fridge.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

oops, moved to food thread

RAGER

4 day fermentation for flatbread.

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Evoo, anchovies, spring onions, red onion, mozzarella, provolone, pecorino, piave vecchio.

Molto molto bene.

No Focus Pocus