RAGER

Rad!  The bread thread lives! 

For now at least.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

FYI I'll be doing some semolina too.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

I will not.  While i adore semolina, i need only to stick with one new trick at a time.  

Looks like my malt isn't getting here until tomorrow. Dammit. 
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

We made sandwiches last night for dinner and I managed to use a tomato that i bought at the grocery store almost two weeks ago.  It was almost as good as in the summer.  I was amazed.  

The bread was good too, but not like you know this shit imma knock out of the park after that diatomaceous malt or whatever comes in. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Mine's out for delivery. Still don't think I'll get to it today but might pull out two batches tomorrow if I make poolish today.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Canceled my plans cuz I'm such a fun person. My deliveries came early so instead, I'm off to the races. Poolish done and proofing for seeded semolina baguettes tomorrow. Bulk ferment of hoagies near done. While they're undergoing 2nd ferment I'll make a pile of corn tortillas cuz I've already made carnitas first thing this morning. Beans done yesterday. While hoagies are baking I'll make guacamole. I can get shit done when I want.

Hanging with some of wife's family tomorrow. I'll bring them some bread cuz I can't eat this damn stuff.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

First batch with the new yeast and Diastatic malt powder. Haven't tasted yet got dinner underway.

I use the proof setting on my oven but then the have to wait too long for it to preheat and I think that's why they're kinda flat. I'll have to do second fermentation elsewhere. Maybe on top of the warm countertop oven.

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

you are on a roll!

Pissy

I need to get some new yeast.  I think I'm good on flour. 
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

Malt arrived just now. But the boy wants to go to the college baseball game, then off to a friends for dinner, so the bread making will need to wait. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Enjoy the game.

Seeded semolina

No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Fucked up my first attempt.  I only had 4 grams of yeast, but the initial rise was fine. The second however was way slow.  Also against my better judgement, I followed the recipe as written and covered with plastic wrap.  It stuck to the rolls, just like I knew it would.  Ruined. 

So i went to the store and got the right flour and yeast.  Ready to go again. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Monitoring.

Also my semolina loafs turned out super badass. This might be my go to for a bit.

After my new second fermentation trick, I'll do another batch of hoagies with the Diastatic malt.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

They're fine, but not what I had in mind.  Tastes like really good homemade white bread, but in a small loaf.    Not sandwich shop bread.  I'm going to keep trying, but I'm going out of town this week, so it'll be slow going.  
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

I think i needed to let the yeast activate longer, and needed to let the initial dough mix hydrate longer. I had to knead forever. 20 minutes in the kitchen-aid and I still wasn't happy with the gluten.  Also might try half water, half milk with the wet. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

5 loaves?  Did you increase anything or just divide smaller? 

I think the next semolina I do I'll divide again to get 4 small baguettes 🥖
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

I just divided smaller.  Family of 5. 
Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

did you drop the seeds on by helicopter?

RAGER

Yo Pissy what up?  Might do a batch tomorrow. Of something don't know what.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

I'm on bread hiatus, had to ho to Nashville for a work thing wed, got back last night.   Our department got together for our once a year summit.  More bad country music than should be aloud anywhere. We had dinner at Blake Shelton's bar directly across the street from Kid Rock's bar.  Then did axe throwing.  

Today I need to give the lawnmower a tuneup, only a slight chance bread making can happen.  
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Sorry you had to endure that.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

I'm glad I did.  Not that I enjoyed it, but it was good to see it in person so I know what I'm missing.  Axe throwing is a useful skill though, and that wasn't terrible.  
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

I followed your lead and cleaned out my garage gutters, raked out the gravel in my driveway to fill in some low spots and a couple other menial tasks. No lawnmower though. Don't need one. But.....I'd like to rebuild the carb on my tiller just because it's old and cool. Might scratch that "foolin around with cars itch" I sometimes still get.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Quote from: Pissy on March 11, 2023, 02:34:48 PMI'm glad I did.  Not that I enjoyed it, but it was good to see it in person so I know what I'm missing.  Axe throwing is a useful skill though, and that wasn't terrible. 
useful skill?? maybe if youre a viking.

Pissy

Zombies.  You of all people should know it's coming. 
Vinyls.   deal.