BBQ!

Started by Sally, August 03, 2012, 08:56:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

Check this thing out.
only fire Santa-maria Style Grill Rotisserie System Adjustable Cooking Grate Attachment for Weber 22 inch Kettle Grills https://a.co/d/fX8DIoO

So it's a santa maria attachment with rotisserie.  All well and good, and fairly inexpensive. 

I've been thinking of an overhead broiling method for charcoal for a while now.  Instead of using this the way they intended, I'd want to use it as a coal grate and broil bbq chicken from above to caramelize without touching.  Part of my master plan for getting into bbq competitions.   

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

I've eyeballed that thing before. I like it except for the way the cable just wraps around the bar. Buy I guess for that price.....I'd love to be able to raise and lower the grate.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

where them ribs at

RAGER

Gittin et probably.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Our company came so no pics.  But the ribs are gones-ville.  The chicken kicked ass too.  I walked away from the wings while they were on the grill. 
Vinyls.   deal.

mortlock

if you can walk away from wings youre a better man than me. i dont have anything close to that kind of will power.

Pissy

I thought I pulled them off.  I fucked up. Then I got to socializing. 

Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

So with ribs, there's the 3-2-1 method.  3 hours on the smoke, 2 hrs wrapped in foil, then 1 hr with sauce and smoke. 

When I unwrapped them they were really tender.  If I let them go too long, they'd have been a mess to take off the grill.   

I think more 3-1-1 ribs works better.

The white chicken was stellar.  It's so different from traditional bbq chicken.  I love it. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Quote from: RAGER on July 04, 2022, 01:33:39 AM

man, you run a clean operation.

I gotta get some more grates for my Thai grill, got the bricks. Would do burgers today but I need to find a mesh grate. I tried egg and bread crumbs in my patties to tighten them up but they still fall through.

RAGER

Burgers need to be thicker than a smash on the grill grates.  But from my experience if they're falling apart or sticking it's because you're fussing with it too soon. Ya gotta let that maillard take effect. Shouldn't need a binder.

Mesh or cross hatched I think would be problematic. Your spatch might hang up.

Wife's wants smash burgs for dinner. I'll do those in the cast iron.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

okay I'll get the grill and charcoal out. Competition grade charcoal of course.

good gracious look at the science

http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/2011/01/review-original-vs-competition.html

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

I do love me some BBQ but I am soooooooo tired of seeing pulled pork sandwiches on menus. Laaaaaazy. There are countless places where this thing is on the menu. And from what I can tell it's always the same old gloppy sweet mess with some fucking slaw thing or maybe not even that. Or they're sliders. Do something different with pork.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Don't get me started.   I love pulled pork, but it's not something I order.

Actually, I don't have any preference for how the finished product is separated.  Chopped is normal in Eastern Nc.  Sliced was also available, but less popular.  Mine I can't slice really, it just falls apart.  Pulled is fine, but more work.  It isn't better than a coarse chop to me. 

But vinegar sauce is my go to, vs sweet.  In my imagination my food truck would have a sandwich with vinegar in a foil paper bag, half exposed with three hush puppies in the bottom of the bag.  The pups get saturated in the vinegar sauce while you eat the sandwich.
Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

I remember the first time I had Carolina style cole slaw. It came in a styro cup and was basically minced, evidenty pulverized in a blender, also with some specs or something in it, maybe celery seeds or carrot bits, I forget...but incredibly obvioulsy soaking in some sort of clear vinegar. I almost zooked on the spot. The mustard sauce pork was phenomenal, and not too sweet. I grew up with lightly mayo'd slaw and love it but I really grew to desire that Carolina slaw.... more often than not I'd rather have that style now.

Best pork I ever had was luau. Friends did it and offered the ear if you were lucky, or the tail. But they'd select what they wanted from here and there from the whole (hog? or pig) and chop it together. No way to beat it, so moist and salty but so delectable. I donlt remeber putting anything else on it, just straight chopped, in fact I think we ate it without utensils, finger lickin good!

Pissy

Mustard is South Carolina style.   

Eastern NC slaw varies, but it's almost always fine chopped like your talking instead of a julianne or shred.  Sometimes (if its for bbq)  it's the cabbage in red vinegar.  If it's for hot dogs it's more half mayo, half vinegar or something. 

Marurices chain in anywhere SC:   

Typical Eastern NC Style plate:

Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

Here's a Pig in a Puppy at King's in Kinston NC.  The bun is a hush puppy.  The pork is chopped, not pulled.

Vinyls.   deal.

mortlock

Quote from: Pissy on July 06, 2022, 09:26:21 PM
Mustard is South Carolina style.   

Eastern NC slaw varies, but it's almost always fine chopped like your talking instead of a julianne or shred.  Sometimes (if its for bbq)  it's the cabbage in red vinegar.  If it's for hot dogs it's more half mayo, half vinegar or something. 

Marurices chain in anywhere SC:   

Typical Eastern NC Style plate:

this gets a W O W

RAGER

That fine chopped slaw is the shit. It was on that smoked pork burger. Oh fuck was that good. I could see adding sieved egg to that.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

I'm zooming in on that Eastern. mmm, sure would, indeed.

Here's the Nashville place that I used to go to. No mustard there but they got that weird slaw which is so good. maybe a little bland but its fresh!

Muffin Man

oh man yeah, they did a baked potato. yikes, those are good.

https://www.whittsbarbecue.com/menu/
Gallon of tea $4. love that place