Favorite Hot Sauces

Started by The Shocker, October 01, 2011, 05:52:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strangelight

MARIE FUCKIN SHARP'S.

i was only in belize for 3 weeks but that was long enough to love that stuff enough to remember the name. had some decent hot sauces in honduras and guatemala, but they were never quite hot enough and a bit too runny for my tastes. good flavour, just needed more heat.

JemDooM

So let's have your recipes on all the things to DO with the hot sauce! I need to know, this could be the start of something beautiful... *novice*
DooM!

Lumpy

I put Sambal Olek in my fried rice (2-3 tablespoons for entire dish). Sometimes, just a teaspoon as part of a marinade. Mix a teaspoon into commercial barbecue sauce to improve flavor.

I haven't found a mexican/hispanic hot sauce that I absolutely love yet. I can get Desert Pepper brand here for cheap (a New Mexico brand) and it's okay/fine. (Green sauce too salty, diablo sauce too sweet, etc). I like Mexican chipotle sauce from La Morena, or the whole chipotles too (but just one pepper in the blender will do an entire pot of chili, so even a small can of whole chilis is too much)

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RAGER

I love those chipotles. If that can is too much lay out a piece of parchment or wax paper and put a single chili with a little of the adobo sauce and freeze. When they're frozen put them in a container and they'll stay separated. Chop them up in some sour cream or some may for quick little spread with a punch.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

I need to blend one of those chipotle peppers with a whole pot of food, otherwise it blows right through me. They're not 'that' spicy but for some reason, my system can't handle it.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

JemDooM

Just got in drunk having watched Wodensthrone and Esoteric, raided the fridge and found, chilli Hummous, chilli, mango and jerk seasoning cheese, flying goose hot sauce, and crackers! Totally popping my first hot sauce alone times cherry, Cloverfield is just kicking off too, good times!
DooM!

mortlock

I loved cloverfield. killer movie. 

JemDooM

Totally killer movie, you know what makes it even more killer? Hot sauce!
DooM!

black

Women are the best multi-taskers.

*applauded*
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

black

At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

sleestak

Killing threads is my business and business is good.

RAGER

I don't have any home made sauce from the garden left I've been enjoying my chili oils/sauces. 

From left Szechuan oil, Chiu chow, and nam prik pao.

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

^Nice assortment of oils!^ I'd like to score all those plus a black bean hot oil sauce, I'll look for it when I shop for the red boat fish sauce.

I love the El Yucateco lineup

Muffin Man

Quote from: sleestak on March 01, 2019, 09:30:57 AM
Obsessed with this shit:

The green one is delicious too. Serrano Habanero!

renfield

They had smoked ham hock AND andouille sausage for once at my local grocer, so we're doing red beans and rice. It is related to the Hot Sauce thread because the one thing they didn't have was Crystal! Pretty bummed but it's going to be fucking fantastic nonetheless.

RAGER

Yes. That bay leaf is essential. Fresh bay is the best. I keep a little tree. It's important. 
No Focus Pocus

renfield

\m/ yeah I usually don't find bay this fresh.

I stuck an immersion blender in there for a second to thicken it up

Came out pretty good

RAGER

That looks pretty good man.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

beautiful. i need to work with white rice more. it makes a great base.

sleestak

Quote from: Muffin Man on March 03, 2019, 04:18:38 PM

The green one is delicious too. Serrano Habanero!

Ordered a 1/2 gallon of the secret aardvark and one 8oz of the Serrano Habenero should be here today.
Their drunken jerk is a good sauce.  I usually use Grace or Walkerswood seasoning for jerking chicken but the Aardwark drunken jerk is a good add-on sauce.
Killing threads is my business and business is good.

lftwng4

So is there a standard for "Boom Boom" sauce or is it just whatever the restaurant wants it to be?   I'm seeing it offered at a lot of places just in the last 6 months or so.  I guess I haven't tried enough of them to see if they're all the same, plus my palette memory isn't very good.

RAGER

Never heard of boom boom sauce. Places around here are doing a comeback sauce though. I'll look into it.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Seems like there's a few variations but the constant thing being a zippy mayo base sauce. Just like the comeback type.
No Focus Pocus

socket

I've heard of boom boom sauce. Isn't it like a sweet/spicy dealio? I think it's on the sauces list on the sheetz mto kiosk thing. I think I've had "boom boom shrimp" somewhere before.
Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.

RAGER

Well I know what boom boom time is in my house.
No Focus Pocus