Recipes--Your Specialty

Started by black, September 28, 2011, 01:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James1214

Haha DG, indeed. I have to admit that I love a good salad more than just about anything.

The only thing I would have done different is to have aged the beef, but that would have meant I had to put it off for a week, and dammit the steaks were calling to me. Also the meal went really well with the Walking Dead and a glass of merlot.

I am picking up a tenderloin which I am gonna age for 7-10 days, should make it that more awesome.
words

demon gal

Wow that's quite a feat. Where do you dry age beef? Do you work in a restaurant?

James1214

you can do it at home, relatively easily.

firstly, it goes without saying that dry aging is essentially letting meat rot in a controlled manner. do so at your own risk and understand that if you fuck it up, you could get sick.

i begin by turning my fridge as cold as possible, between 34-38 degrees

put a wire rack on a cookie sheet and put my steaks on that, salt lightly. place the whole arrangement on the bottom shelf of the fridge (for 2 reasons, to reduce contamination of other foods and its the coldest spot in the fridge)

flip the meat 2 times a day for 5-7 days. youll lose 10-20% of the water in that time (water = weight so you will have "less" meat) and ramp up the flavor to the max

you could also use dry aging bags from http://www.drybagsteak.com/ but i havent used them and cannot testify to their efficacy.
words

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

RAGER

I've been busy
kimchi i just made

This mornings breakfast

Tuscan bean soup from last night with the bread I made

The choucroute garnie plated with green beans and Montgomery blue veined cheddar.

And the tremolo pedal I wired up before dinner
No Focus Pocus

black

^Best post combining both aspects of this site!^

applauded and lauded.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

demon gal

black

demon gal

black

Uh, so did I.

(i mentioned at the start of this thread that i'm not so good in the kitchen. i suppose this explains the sticky goo on my pedal board too)

RAGER

Quote from: demon gal on November 10, 2011, 06:07:32 PM
RAGER what's under the egg?

Pinto beans ,rice spinach, and squash with some goat cheese.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Quote from: black on November 10, 2011, 06:31:55 PM
A Super Fuzz clone?
That's a tremolo pedal.  the fuzz pedal was 2 days ago duh...... :)
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

4 pounds of fresh wild chanterelles.  Oh the possibilities.

Two loaves fresh out of the oven moments ago.

Cool 30's gibson amp and lap steel combo at my buddy's shop today

it was a good day
No Focus Pocus

demon gal

Quote4 pounds of fresh wild chanterelles.  Oh the possibilities.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee74/spicoli420_2007/chanterelles.jpg

Two loaves fresh out of the oven moments ago.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee74/spicoli420_2007/freshbread.jpg

Add some fresh country butter to both and I'm in heaven. Chanterelles are my favorite. They're quite plentiful in Poland. Last fall we went shrooming and then my brother in law pickled them for us I still have half a jar of chanterelles in the fridge.

peoplething

Phase I Smoked Chicken

Into the chamber

Smoke

130F; first mop

160F; second mop

170F; Bird is done (cuz we were starving)

hot mary mother of god, this was good

Phase II. send DG the runny stuff that came oot it's butt

I'm into the beer and dewar's, so this is by no means a specialty, but I ain't want to start a new thread
"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

demon gal

I don't want runny butt stuff, I want a leg.  :'(

peoplething

Quote from: demon gal on November 13, 2011, 08:23:21 AM
I don't want runny butt stuff, I want a leg.  :'(

If you come back DG, I'll mail you a leg.
"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

RAGER

I got ahold of a bunch of Sunchokes.  So last night I roasted some with carrots and Yukon Gold potatoes along with my new invention.  Peel and eat garlic cloves.  Separate a large clove and roast them along with whatever else.  Just peel and pop them in your mouth or smoosh on a piece of crusty bread.  yummy.  Everything is better roasted.

If you don't know how to roast things, it's easy.  Just toss in a bowl with olive oil, salt and pepper.  Spread on a baking sheet put in oven on 400 degrees F. for any where from 20-40 minutes.  Cauliflower turns amazing after roasting.
No Focus Pocus

demon gal

I'm starving, are those chicken gams still on the table?

libertycaps

That smoked chicken looks killer. I got a Lil Texas Traegers and use the fuck out of it.
I finally have beef brisket where i want it after 3 years of trying to get somewhat close to Poodnah's.
I use his bottled sauce.

Here's what i do now:
9-11lbs. beef brisket
Rinse under tap, pat dry and cover with yellow mustard.
Cover all sides of meat with beef dry rub of choice
Wrap in saran/heavy foil and place in frig overnight
Unwrap & smoke on low 150-190F for 6-8 hours using Mesquite/Hickory/Oak fuel
In a mixing bowl add 1 tbsp. Horseradish, 1 tbsp. Pickapeppa sauce, 1/3 cup Poodnah's beef BBQ sauce, 2 Bay leafs, 3-4 cloves halved fresh garlic, 1/2 chopped yellow onion, 1 cup of water. Mix. Pour into a large roasting pan.
Place smoked brisket on top, cover tightly with heavy duty foil and cook in oven at 190F for 12-16 hours (overnight.)
Pour off excess broth and save in freezer. (Use it for other stuff, don't throw it away!!)
Return unwrapped & drained brisket to oven for another 2 hours @ 190F. Pull from oven and let brisket rest for at least 1 hour.
Slice and serve.

It's a long process, but worth every minute. Brisket is moist and fall apart tender. It will disappear in a day or two, guaranteed.

RAGER

Bachelor night tonight.  Wild duck breasts seared in duck fat, marinated in fresh rosemary, thyme, olive oil , salt, and pepper on a bed of fresh greens and a parmesan vinaigrette.
No Focus Pocus

mertz

RAGER

thanks..I hope others think so too.....and i hope it tastes alright
No Focus Pocus

mertz

mortlock

rager..how do you find the time to prepare this stuff..everything you make seems totally out of reach for me..you must be a professional.